80 series front sway bar disconnects (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MaddBaggins

Remember the KnightRider!
Threads
I never claimed to be all that smart. Thats why I was outside today, frying, and finally putting in mounting tabs for my front sway bar quick disconnects. Hey, it was only about 200 degrees.
I used to not run my front sway bar at all, but when I got my trailer, I decided I wanted the extra stability. I have extended my sway bars appx 3.5" using black pipe nipples welded in between the greased swivel and the mount that holds the bar. Got that idea from Tools.
I picked up some pins from McMaster-Carr. They are 3/8 diameter, just a hair under the size of the stock bolts. I've been running them in place for the last 5-6 months to see how they fair.

I used 1/8" plate to make the bracket. I checked clearances at full droop and at full stuff and nothing interferes . At full droop, you can see I have about an inch of clearance at the driveshaft and at full stuff they don't even come close to anything. I meant to check, but I was getting roasted out there, I think I can turn my wheel full lock and access each side. If that doesn't work, I will have to roll under the rig to do it, but it's the best I can come up with to leave the sway bar in and disconnect it without removing it.

pics
DSC02515.jpg
DSC02516.jpg
DSC02518.jpg

more pics
DSC02519.jpg
DSC02521.jpg
DSC02522.jpg

I'd get some washers around that rubber, looks like it might tear it up that way.
Even better if you could set the pins up double-shear.

Edit: I doubt the pins will hold at all when you get flexed up. They'll probably pull out when the bar pulls down. That's just my guess, there might be more to it that I can't see in the pics.

-Spike

I'd get some washers around that rubber, looks like it might tear it up that way.
Even better if you could set the pins up double-shear.

Edit: I doubt the pins will hold at all when you get flexed up. They'll probably pull out when the bar pulls down. That's just my guess, there might be more to it that I can't see in the pics.

-Spike

There is a metal sleeve inside the rubber grommet, the pin goes thru the sleeve.

When I'm on the trail the pins will be in the upper location (disconnected). There won't be any stress on them at all. The upper position puts them frame to frame, no flex. I've been driving around town for 5-6 months with them in the lower position (connected-axle to frame), and a few easy offroad trips. They show no sign of wear.

It's the same thing as having no sway bar when in the upper position.

Ah, that's what I was missing. I thought that was the working position. Shows you how long it's been since I looked at my suspension.

-Spike

Ah, that's what I was missing. I thought that was the working position. Shows you how long it's been since I looked at my suspension.

-Spike

I just figured you were drunk...

Very slick Alvin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom