Lucas Additive (Big Difference) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm assuming it's the oil additive; how much did'ya use?

I imagine you're talking about engine oil additive. If it's like the oil in these little gear displays they show off in car parts stores, I always wondered how different it would be to just put in some heavy oil in there.

sounds good though.

LandCrusher'70 said:
I'm assuming it's the oil additive; how much did'ya use?

Wow, I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!!

you can get the same effect by putting m1 15w-50 in there.

In my experiences Lucas Oil additive works great on reducing oil burning. My V8 Dodge with 250K uses 1 qt oil /1000 miles. When I use Lucas I do not have to add oil until around 3,000 miles. On my 92 FJ 80 w/ 265K I tried it and noticed a big difference in loss of Power. I do not use it in my FJ 80 because I need all the power I can find.

turbocruiser said:
Wow, I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!!

Thanks. Just made it yesterday.

TiredIronGRB said:
Yes, it's the oil additive. As I understand it it's not just that it's think it clings to everything. I added one qt of the additive when I changed the oil. I use straight 40W Rotella.

I regularly use both [LUCAS] fuel and oil additives in my GM diesel. I used the fuel addy in the LC on our trip across country. I personally like the stuff.

My rig is burning oil like SUMMIT discribed. I've got to add about a quart every 1000~1500 miles.

The worst burning I experienced was driving down to a wheeling event in the middle of August. Outside temp was about 97º and in the span of driving down there, wheeling, and stopping at a gas station on the way back, I burned about 2~3 quarts.

I'll give the additive a try.

jklubens said:
My rig is burning oil like SUMMIT discribed. I've got to add about a quart every 1000~1500 miles.

The worst burning I experienced was driving down to a wheeling event in the middle of August. Outside temp was about 97º and in the span of driving down there, wheeling, and stopping at a gas station on the way back, I burned about 2~3 quarts.

I'll give the additive a try.

The Lucas product works quite well from what I've heard. I've had good luck with Restore also, don't know if it works to quiet a noisy engine, but it does help with oil consumption

kennyv0826 said:
The Lucas product works quite well from what I've heard. I've had good luck with Restore also, don't know if it works to quiet a noisy engine, but it does help with oil consumption

I just put a quart in the engine this morning. I'm going down to Slade Kentucky the end of this month. That should be a good test as the drive is about 5 hours.

As for the noisy engine, I've found about the only thing you can do is to adjust the valves every 20K.

Lucas

I have been using Lucas oil stabilizer in my 3FE for 5 years now along with Maxlife....my rear main leaks less now than when I got it. I use a quart every oil change and have never noticed burning any oil. It also helps reduce heat in my tranny case and diffs.

I too have been using the stabilizer with every oil change it has slowed the oil burn off and has stoped the noise when you first start up the truck.

Snake oil. All it is is a thickner, makes your 30 weight oil, 40 weight while screwing with the additive package. Use a good 40 weight instead of 30 weight and you will find your engine is quieter and uses less oil.

cary said:
Snake oil. All it is is a thickner, makes your 30 weight oil, 40 weight while screwing with the additive package. Use a good 40 weight instead of 30 weight and you will find your engine is quieter and uses less oil.
Not the case I went from 30w to 40w with no change, the Lucas has something in it that gives it a tack so it clings to everything. Ilike to never got it off my funnel.

TiredIronGRB said:
Not the case I went from 30w to 40w with no change, the Lucas has something in it that gives it a tack so it clings to everything. Ilike to never got it off my funnel.

I agree that is works. I have only used it in my trans and diff in the past but it made my trans in an old wheeling rig of mine quieter and smoother. Now I use Redline since it works very well on gears. And I'm gonna pick up some Lucas for my girlfriends car to see if it helps her valvetrain noise. I should prob throw some in the 80 as well since it has 180K and will most likely offer more protetction than the sythetic and Z Max combo I use now.

Is there only one kind of Lucas additve (it seems like they had several options the last time I saw the display)?

It doesn't change the fact that all it is a thickner. 40 weight doesn't make the engine quieter for you, go 50 weight, that is all that lucas is doing besides increasing startup wear and screwing up your properly formulated oil. It is still snake oil.

I know that it seems to help (makes it quieter, less oil consumption), but that is purely a result of the thicker oil, not anything magical in the lucas crap. It is kind of like arguing that my grandfather has lived to be 94 because he smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day. That is not correct, he has lived to be 94 because of genetics, the cigarettes are not helping and are worse than if he didn't smoke.

According to the info I have, lucas is a 110cst thick oil at 100c. Mix a quart of lucas with 4 quarts of 30 weight (11 cst so mid 30 weight oil) and you will end up in the 50 weight range (17.4 cst).

Some reading for the Lucas believers:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003428#000000

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002997#000000

Spinning some gears inside a box at ambient temp is not means to convince me that it's snake oil.

Show me his test with heat applied and a chemical change (if any) that happens after heat is applied to it.

jklubens said:
Spinning some gears inside a box at ambient temp is not means to convince me that it's snake oil.

Show me his test with heat applied and a chemical change (if any) that happens after heat is applied to it.

No chemical change is going to occur in gear fluid when run in a box short term as there is no cumbustion. It will get warmer but little else will happen.

People have run UOA's using Lucas and not using it on the same car, same oil, same interval and consitantly the Lucas causes there to be more wear metals in the engine.

I stand by my statement Lucas is snake oil. It is simply an oil thickner. Do your really think if there was some magical property to the stuff that Mobil/Exxon, Shell and all the other oil manufactures wouldn't have adopted it years ago? By dumping that crap in your oil, crankcase and other areas, you are basically saying that you believe that Lucas and you know more about lube design and blending than the manufactures that make the lube oils. Mark my words that in 10 years Lucas will be like Slick 50, Duralube, STP oil treatment, and the 50 other snake oil products that are out there. It doesn't cause any real harm, but it does not improve the oil you are already using and costs you money.

cary said:
It doesn't change the fact that all it is a thickner. 40 weight doesn't make the engine quieter for you, go 50 weight, that is all that lucas is doing besides increasing startup wear and screwing up your properly formulated oil. It is still snake oil.

I know that it seems to help (makes it quieter, less oil consumption), but that is purely a result of the thicker oil, not anything magical in the lucas crap. It is kind of like arguing that my grandfather has lived to be 94 because he smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day. That is not correct, he has lived to be 94 because of genetics, the cigarettes are not helping and are worse than if he didn't smoke.

According to the info I have, lucas is a 110cst thick oil at 100c. Mix a quart of lucas with 4 quarts of 30 weight (11 cst so mid 30 weight oil) and you will end up in the 50 weight range (17.4 cst).

Some reading for the Lucas believers:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003428#000000

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002997#000000

There are a few problems with the test on the "Bob is the oil guy" webpage.
First off he dosen't use the same oil in both gear boxes as a baseline for the test.
Second, he didn't mention how much of the additive he added, so we don't know if it was in the right porportions as perscribed.
He also never mentions how fast the gears are spinning and if are moving at a higher velocity than they would be in a vehicle. It's possible that the Lucas product is designed to work in specific applications (such as vehicles and not motorized gearbox's).
Just a thought?

I have never done any scientific tests on the product but I know that Lucas has a good reputation for making a quality product and it would suprise me to find that it actually is less effetive than oil alone. I wouldn't have suspected foaming though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom