Stranded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went out to lunch, came back and the truck started with hedoius noise from the starter. Shut it off and now it won't crank. No Christmas light or any thing the starter just won't crank I guess. It happened a while back at iPor and I remember lance crawling under and knock the starter then it had started. Any one able to help?

Went out to lunch, came back and the truck started with hedoius noise from the starter. Shut it off and now it won't crank. No Christmas light or any thing the starter just won't crank I guess. It happened a while back at iPor and I remember lance crawling under and knock the starter then it had started. Any one able to help?

Good be the starter. Just tap it lightly with a hammer while somebody turns the key. It may start.

It may not.

Where should the starter be tapped? If it isn't cranking at all would that be contacts or no power to the starter?? IDK.

Looks like the starter tooth broken into three pieces which is strange the guy is checking price. I hate putting in a none Toyota starter but for now this gotta work. The fly wheel seems to fine. Sorry can't post picture from iphone

Correction. The teeth didn't brake into picese it just came off of the shaft. The starter teeth looks chipped off in places. I wonder how the fly wheel look. Hopefully it starts with the new starter and i can limp home. $446.00 damage control

Was that for a Toyota starter and installation?

Should be less than 200 for an aftermarket one (or OEM from CDAN), I just replaced mine. Good luck.

Ouch, thats spendy

Hey it's cold out and I am not in my garage. Some times you gotta bite the bullet and suck it up I guess. I just hope it starts up without any other issue.

And it starts! This starter is longer and much quicker. I am back on the road. Thanks every one for chiming in

From problem to solution in 1 hour and 34 minutes when it is below freezing is easily worth $446.

Yep.

And here are the obligatory (crappy) pix :cheers:
IMG_0496.jpg
IMG_0497.jpg
IMG_0498.jpg

Well, had my hopes too high :eek:.

Got to work, parked the truck then realized I parked in a slant. So I go back in it and try to start so it is is not in slant. Ignition -> try to crank -> no power. Every thing goes dark. Turn off ignition, keys out, wait for 10 minutes or so, power comes back, repeat: Ignition -> try to crank -> nothing, power goes off. Basically the truck loses power. Disconnected the (-) battery cable, wait for few minutes then put it back in. Still nothing. It wants me to wait longer :lol:. I hear chirp or click coming from the starter when I tried cranking.

My bet is on the after market starter. What do ya'll think?

I checked the fuses under the steering, none blown, don't have my tools on me but I tried to tap (as hard as I could) the starter with the Toyota wrench that is provided in the tool bag. Did not make any difference. Anything else I can check? I called the gas station, I probably have to tow it there. The starter is still under warranty, prolly have to pay for the labor. The plan is to go ahead and do that so I can get home, then call Dan for a real starter.

:cheers:

PoorHouse said:
Check the battery before getting a tow.

M a n. You couldn't be anything but right. But too late as I found out the hard way, after paying for the tow and 1 hour of labor . Starter is fine. (+) terminal was loose and battery was weak. He charged it and cleaned up the terminals for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom