Lower rad drain plug?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lower rad hose drain plug??

Hey boyz! I tried to drain my coolant the other night via the aftermarket rad petcock (PO installed it, not me!) .. I couldn't access the plug. I then tried draining the coolant out of the engine block. It started out fine, but soon gushed out all over my garage floor. I am sure it was stupid of me to think that nice little stream of coolant was going to stay that way! I was pissed.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has used a temp sensor insert like the one below as a lower rad hose drain?

radinsert.jpg

Installing it into a silicone hose with constant torque clamps should be easy enough. I realize it also creates two more points that have the potential to leak .. but I will carry a spare OEM hose. Any other ideas are welcome if this one is flawed!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I see no reason why you couldn't use that, but I also don't see much of a reason to use it either. How often do you flush your coolant? Once every two years maybe? The added simplicity for the bi-annual draining isn't really worth the other 729 days of adding additional leak points IMO. :meh:

I do agree with you to some degree Adam .. I have the PHH to do and I will most likely do a coolant change annually. That is why I wanted to ask some of the more experienced cruiser owners if this is really worth it for the amount of risk involved.

Thanks for your input. I would probably have been fine if the PO had put an OEM rad in! :bang:

Having just finished up a coolant flush and water pump replacement yesterday, I can tell you that the OEM rad petcock and the block drain make just as much of a mess as anything else. What ever you do it will probably still splash everywhere :D

Having just finished up a coolant flush and water pump replacement yesterday, I can tell you that the OEM rad petcock and the block drain make just as much of a mess as anything else. What ever you do it will probably still splash everywhere :D

X2. That's exactly why I just pull the engine side of the lower radiator hose when draining coolant. It's the lowest point in the cooling system and when done with the block drain plug, you'll get best drain results. A 5 gallon bucket placed in front of the front diff catches most of it. Just need to be careful when draining from a hot engine not to get scalded.

I was searching for that! .. I was sure I saw that someone had pulled the lower rad hose and simply drained from there. I will probably just try that. I really do believe that coolant coming out of the brass plug on that insert would be much more controlled and easier to direct into a bucket/funnel combo, but again, is it really worth it.

Thanks 80t0ylc!!!

I did the lower rad hose drain too because I couldn't find the pet cock on the rad. It must be hidden behind something but I never found it and it looked not very accesible.

It's directly above the big hole in the driver's side of the front crossmember.

IMG_3254.JPG

I was searching for that! .. I was sure I saw that someone had pulled the lower rad hose and simply drained from there. I will probably just try that. I really do believe that coolant coming out of the brass plug on that insert would be much more controlled and easier to direct into a bucket/funnel combo, but again, is it really worth it.

Thanks 80t0ylc!!!

You're welcome! A warning note for your first time: The coolant will come out with a vengeance, so do it with coolant cold or at the most, warm. It will come out of both the hose and metal fitting, so first time you can judge where to best put bucket. Like I said in previous post, in front of diff is a good starting point. It really speeds up the drain process and with the multiple drain & fills that we do during our annual maintenance, it has helped me considerably. Don't forget the block drain plug. About 18" - 24" of extensions on your 14mm socket (IIRC) through the wheel well helps considerably. Good luck!
Edit: Also, remove the pan that is under the radiator & fan (4 - 12 mm bolts) for better hose access. I think it's necessary to remove this pan to get to the petcock, any way.

Last edited:
So pull the block plug completely before draining the lower rad hose or just enough to let some air in? As I mentioned, the last time I pulled the block plug, I got this nice, controllable stream .. about a minute later I turned around to a gigantic flood coming from that plug!!

Has anyone replaced the lower rad hose with silicone?

It's directly above the big hole in the driver's side of the front crossmember.

IMG_3254.JPG

Yes .. relatively easy to find, but with an aftermarket rad, NOT so easy to remove. I basically gave up because I don't think I would have been able to get it back in!
It MUST be easier to access on the OEM rad .. either that or I am an idiot. :D

So pull the block plug completely before draining the lower rad hose or just enough to let some air in? As I mentioned, the last time I pulled the block plug, I got this nice, controllable stream .. about a minute later I turned around to a gigantic flood coming from that plug!! ......

No, with radiator cap off for best draining, I pull the lower hose first and leave it draining into the bucket. Then get another bucket and pull the block drain completely. Let it drain into the 2nd bucket as much as possible. You're going to get some coolant on the ground, but you'll catch most of it. No way around it - it's a messy process, just clean up as best as you can. I also have a flush 't' installed in heater hose and will pop the cap on it before pulling block drain plug to get as much coolant drained out of system as possible. Don't forget to put all plugs back in before filling up. Oh, and keep the pets indoors or away until you're done and driveway is hosed down.

........Has anyone replaced the lower rad hose with silicone?

I don't think that I would do that. Silicone hose is expensive and while it's great for holding up to high heat, it is pretty fragile for abrasions. The thicker rubber hoses would hold up better, IMHO. In their locations, the larger radiator hoses are easily accessed and also exposed to cuts and bruises.

Roger that .. makes complete sense. Thanks again.

:D

I left the rad cap on while I undid the petcock and block drain. It helps keep the flow manageable. I eventually remove it and the U pipe at the heater valve to flush the rad/engine/heater cores.

I left the rad cap on while I undid the petcock and block drain. It helps keep the flow manageable. I eventually remove it and the U pipe at the heater valve to flush the rad/engine/heater cores.

Excellent point, Adam. 1st drain with the most antifreeze in it keep the cap on getting more in buckets and than let 'er rip with cap off on all the following drain cycles of mostly water. I'll keep that in mind for next year. Thanks!

I left the rad cap on when I drained the block the first time, so I thought that the manageable flow of coolant would remain constant. It started out great anyway.

I put a piece of hose or tubing over the drain and there was no mess IIRC. I think I mentioned the hose size in my overly long anal flushing thread someplace.

I put a piece of hose or tubing over the drain and there was no mess IIRC. I think I mentioned the hose size in my overly long anal flushing thread someplace.

You might want to rephrase that second sentence ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom