All Burned Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our beloved 80 caught fire 60 Km out in in the bush and burnt to the ground. I've had 4x4's ( all land rovers) for decades and sold my defender 110 for the 80. I've never looked back and am now a true cruiser convert. We are now cruiserless and at the mercy of the insurance company. If we get paid out I want the same truck I had with the locking diffs and all. I'll be on the look out for a replacement for elsie as my wife called her. Here are some graphic pictures so viewer discretion is advised. :frown:
IMG_2827.jpg
IMG_2852.jpg

More cruiser carnage

We were sick as we watched it burn. We had our four and two year old daughter with us and thankfully got them out along with all but a few CD's. I had enough emergency equipment to get through the night but thank fully we got picked up. Rather degrading being rescued buy a tracker but I needed my children out of the woods.
SH100583.jpg
IMG_2863.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's sad man...I thought burning was a J@@p thing...

Seriously first off its awesome that no one was hurt!!! Secondly, WTF happened? What started it? Insurance companies are now looking at vehicle fires as arson/fraud first nowadays.

Damn that is freaking sad to look at. No fire extinguishers? This is why I have two and why I am working on my fire suppression mod. This is just panic inducing because I would flip out if this happened to my truck.

Seriously first off its awesome that no one was hurt!!! Secondly, WTF happened? What started it? Insurance companies are now looking at vehicle fires as arson/fraud first nowadays.

It was just a logging road and we were on the way back from some hot springs. Had what looked like steam come from the front of the hood and pulled over. But the time I got to the front of the truck the latch was melted and the paint was bubbling. We have the whole event captured video's and photos so I'm not concerned about them thinking it was fraud. Its very evident from what we have that we were lucky to get everyone out. It took 30 minutes from the first sign of smoke to burned out shell. I checked all the fluids before we went out as per usual she was in top shape. That was a great truck and we went a lot of cool places as a family in it. I hope my next 80 is as good as we sure miss it already.

That is terrible! It's good you got all people out. Do you have any idea what caused the fire? So others don't suffer the same fate.

I have no idea. I happened sooooooo dam fast. I'll let you know if the investigation turns up a culprit.

Graphic pics is right. Just glad you all are ok and had the sense to travel with enough emergency gear! Good for you on that.

As other's have asked - any idea as to the cause of the fire? Electrical? Like NLXTACY, I carry a small extinguisher all the time and when I've got my offroad drawer extension in the truck there's a second one mounted there. Neither would have saved a truck in your situation!

I thought about going up there to try and recover the bush bar but I'm sure the metal has lost its tensile strength from the heat. I'm sure the winch and locking diffs are fused. What a wast of a good truck. I just put $700 in brakes on it.

Graphic pics is right. Just glad you all are ok and had the sense to travel with enough emergency gear! Good for you on that.

As other's have asked - any idea as to the cause of the fire? Electrical? Like NLXTACY, I carry a small extinguisher all the time and when I've got my offroad drawer extension in the truck there's a second one mounted there. Neither would have saved a truck in your situation!

I couldn't get the hood open as it was too hot and the catch melted. At that point I made the decision to get my kids to a safe distance. We watched in horror as it burned while I tried to come up with a plan of escape in the event of a forrest fire. It was not cool having my two little girls up there. Lucky I left my geriatric dog at home because I don't know how we would have got her home. The tracker was packed.

For future reference to all.

During engine fires the hood latch (inside and outside secondary) for the most part becomes quickly useless.

The fast and nasty way to get a dry chem discharging under the hood is to smash the headlight out (lens and rear of reflector) and shoot the dry chem into the engine compartment.

Sometimes you can use get in through the wheel well.

While someone is intermittently applying the extinguiser, have someone else work on the hood latch. You can also have them try to bend the hood upwards along the quarter panel.

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

The interior

Sure glad I didn't have an expensive stereo or GPS.
IMG_2866.jpg
IMG_2867.jpg

This is now going to get installed instead of just occupying space in my garage:
Safecraft RS5AAB - Safecraft RS Series Fire Protection Systems

My first question is did you do any mods, electrical wise, to your truck?
• JDM fan?
• Aux fuse panel?
• Slee wiring harness?
• Dual batteries?
• Landtank's MAF?
anything?

I realize its probably way too soon to try and solve what happened but I'd like to start narrowing things down.

This is now going to get installed instead of just occupying space in my garage:
Safecraft RS5AAB - Safecraft RS Series Fire Protection Systems

My first question is did you do any mods, electrical wise, to your truck?
• JDM fan?
• Aux fuse panel?
• Slee wiring harness?
• Dual batteries?
• Landtank's MAF?
anything?

I realize its probably way too soon to try and solve what happened but I'd like to start narrowing things down.

Nothing, I'm the worlds worst auto electric guy and frankly hate wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom