Got my (not that) old roof rack on the new 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The new 80, although an incredible rig, looked naked without a roof rack. The rack I built this past summer needed to have the bolts replaced that connect the Quick N Easy Clamps to the rack itself as they were bent (one nearly broken) when my :princess: totaled the old 80. Fortunately, there was no other damage (to the rack that is;)). I wish I would have gotten pictures of how bent the gutters were following the accident.

Here are the bolts:
Bent roofrack bolts.JPG

Sorry I couldn't get pics of the rig with the rack this evening. I didn't get it on until after dark. I'll post them up tomorrow.

Lastly, the rack, although very difficult, is light enough for me to mount up myself! Hadn't tried that prior to this evening. Also the new rig never had the factory rust creators, just another reason I like it so much more...
Bent roofrack bolts.JPG

you are the fellow that did the rack build a while ago.. nice rack!

have you seen the lower ezmounts or do they not make them any longer? do you have the link to your build sequence?

I don't think they make the low-profile ones anymore. If you PM Snake Eater 98, I think he knew a source on some left over ones, but that was awhile ago. I didn't have the patience to wait, and the higher ones make it easay to feed straps around and through.

The link to my rack build is here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/163919-roof-rack-build.html

Let me know if you have any questions. It was suprisingly easy for a guy with caveman skills.:beer:

cut em down and weld em....or have someone else do it if you're not weldorific.

It looks to be about 5" higher than it needs to be, and there will be a HUGE noticeable difference with weight up there at its current height, and if you drop it down.

I weld (see the above link on the rack build thread), but the mounts are cast aluminum. I do not weld aluminum. If anyone knows of any other low profile options, I'm all ears...

Maybe you could figure out a way to build some drop-tabs on the rack.... like connecting the top bar of the roofrack to the quickneasy instead of connecting to the bottom of the rack.

could be an awful lot easier than rebuilding the supports

I'm assuming the ARB rack gutter mounts are steel.

Maybe you can order some from ARB and chop those down like my rack?

I still have the factory roof rack on there and its almost flush onto the top of the factory rack, rather than inches above it.

IMG_0609.jpg

Cody,
I like the idea. I'm gonna check my buddy's ARB rack (that's parked in front of my house) and see if those mounts would work. I really like the idea of the ARB piece that runs the length of the gutter as well. Stay tuned...

I stole the idea from here about using the low Yakima towers and bars and mounted my rack to that. It sits just above the factory rack and to my eyes looks nice and tight to the roof. akraven

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom