Storage unit (yeah another) with Subwoofers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In a quest to destroy my hearing before I reach 50 I decided my current 8'" subwoofer setup wasn't cutting it (it didn't help that I just installed 2 - 10" in my son's 4Runner :doh:)
It was a good time to build a better rear storage unit and install a pair of 10" subs in it.

My current deck was a two piece designed to allow one rear seat if needed ... but I never used the capability so I decided a one piece would be best. Also I don't like drawers, I prefer bins or tubs that let me store things in the garage until a trip or let me take tools to another vehicle if needed for trail fix.

I built the unit from 3/4 birch plywood, all the joints are routed 1/4", screwed and glued. The main unit is 12" high, 44" wide and 42" deep plus the wings. The storage areas each measure 30" x 20.75" x11":
unit1.gif

I wanted to have space to mount the amp as well (woofer end upside down):
unit2.gif

Installed with hinged side panels for storage access and ease of removal. The floor and part of the sides are lined with rubber mat:
unit5.gif

Each side can hold two of these containers:
unit4.gif

The Sony 10" subs and XM-2002GTR amp:
unit3.gif

Last edited:
Beautiful!

Looks great.

That looks just about what I want to do myself. I like the look of finished drawers but I think that baskets or tubs are more flexible. I like the idea of slipping in whatever tub I need for a certain occasion and storing the others at home.
Any chance you documented the dimensions?;)

Good work.

I think I can speak for many here and say there is no such thing as too many storage threads.:D
It is always great to see anothers perspectives and adaptations.

nice set up. that is what i am going to try and do. but i have a sevear problem with wood. i cant seem to make anything out of it . i guess i am wood challenged.. you need to make some patterns for people like me:D

Any chance you documented the dimensions?;)

Yep I even mentioned it in my first post :D
"I built the unit from 3/4 birch plywood, all the joints are routed 1/4", screwed and glued. The main unit is 44" wide and 42" deep plus the wings. The storage areas each measure 30" x 20.75" x11" .."

The sub boxes are a little small at about 0.65 cubic feet net but work fine. The amp space is 16" x 5.5" x 11"

Yep I even mentioned it in my first post :D
"I built the unit from 3/4 birch plywood, all the joints are routed 1/4", screwed and glued. The main unit is 44" wide and 42" deep plus the wings. The storage areas each measure 30" x 20.75" x11" .."

The sub boxes are a little small at about 0.65 cubic feet net but work fine. The amp space is 16" x 5.5" x 11"

Sorry...must be adult ADD:confused:
Apparently I did not read through the whole post.
But....do you have the dimensions/profile of the wings?

Thanks

Very nice. Do you plan on designing drawers in the future? The baskets might rattle a little, no?

Sorry...must be adult ADD:confused:
Apparently I did not read through the whole post.
But....do you have the dimensions/profile of the wings?

Thanks

LOL, no problem. I don't know the dimensions because I cut them on the fly. I started with a 42" x 7" piece and cut away the curved areas using a contour gauge, it makes it a piece of cake to fit smoothly along the side panels.

Very nice. Do you plan on designing drawers in the future? The baskets might rattle a little, no?

No I'm not. I used plastic bins in my old unit and with tools and parts they were so full and heavy I never heard them rattle.

Nice. Finally, a storage solution that applies to me! :D

That's a good design. I did a similar one last year with one forward-facing 10" sub behind one of the rear seats and the amp mounted under the driver's seat.

I decided that I'm not happy with the 12" height, however, as a double-wide storage box that's a foot high takes up too much space.
I'm pulling mune out over the next couple of days, and I'm going to "borrow" your basic design except I'll be tilting the sub at a 40* angle to see if I can reduce the overall height of the unit by 2".

How does it sound with the plywood box? That's a no-no in the serious car audio circles, no?

I have been planning something very similar, but I was drawing it up with the woofer firing upward, due to size. I don't really want a box that high. I'm thinking no drawers as well. I might end up firing foward like yours and using 8" subs instead. I don't want a ton of bass, but the door speakers just aren't cutting it for me.

What amp do you have? That made me want to do something very similar. I'm pretty much going to steal your idea, with the box for the amp and everything. I like that stuff hidden, but since I'm stealing your dimensions, I'd like to know how much space I need for an amp.

...I don't want a ton of bass, but the door speakers just aren't cutting it for me.

FWIW I have one 10" Cerwin Vega sub run by a 350W Alpine amp, and I have it cut down to -4 gain because it was too bassy .

I'm 40, if that has anything to do with it. ;)

I originally started with a self-powered 7" sub, but that wasn't enough. If I had to do it all over again I'd run dual or even single 8" subs witha good amp. That would be plenty.

That's a good design. I did a similar one last year with one forward-facing 10" sub behind one of the rear seats and the amp mounted under the driver's seat.

I decided that I'm not happy with the 12" height, however, as a double-wide storage box that's a foot high takes up too much space.
I'm pulling mune out over the next couple of days, and I'm going to "borrow" your basic design except I'll be tilting the sub at a 40* angle to see if I can reduce the overall height of the unit by 2".
I was having a hard time with the height at first and seriously considered putting the sub at an angle but with the storage unit at this height I can build a removable sleep platform that clears the rear seat backs when they are folded down.

How does it sound with the plywood box? That's a no-no in the serious car audio circles, no?

I have been planning something very similar, but I was drawing it up with the woofer firing upward, due to size. I don't really want a box that high. I'm thinking no drawers as well. I might end up firing foward like yours and using 8" subs instead. I don't want a ton of bass, but the door speakers just aren't cutting it for me.

Yes plywood isn't normally used by "pros" because poor quality ply can buzz if the layers are poorly glued, that is why I when with a more expensive birch ply. I made sure the sub box is tightly sealed and added some polyfill (the "jury" is still out on using fill ) and I love the way it sounds. I liked my previous set-up but I move from 8" to 10" because with all the vibrations from tires, stiff suspension etc the low end got really muddy. I wanted it to hit harder so I could still feel it at highway speeds with the windows open.

What amp do you have? That made me want to do something very similar. I'm pretty much going to steal your idea, with the box for the amp and everything. I like that stuff hidden, but since I'm stealing your dimensions, I'd like to know how much space I need for an amp.
Sony XM-2002-GTR, with my dimensions it is a tight fit but I mounted it on steel spacers to make sure it has as much airflow as possible.

FWIW I have one 10" Cerwin Vega sub run by a 350W Alpine amp, and I have it cut down to -4 gain because it was too bassy .

Might be the box size, when I used the 8" subs I made the box too small and it had too much reasonance. I have my amp LPF set for 60hz and that reduces most of the "boominess" but has a great punch. With a sub my belief is that you should feel more than you hear

Last edited:
updated the box

Well I couldn't leave well enough alone;)

With a trip to Rubithon in the very near future :D I realized a fridge would be a good investment. I got a great deal on a 43qt Engel fridge but with the high deck height I could barely reach inside much less get stuff out.:whoops:

I decided to mod the existing unit to accommodate the fridge.

I cut down one side leaving enough room underneath to hold 2-20L Scepter water cans....
misc008.jpg

I also added a slide for better access...
misc007.jpg

With 3 separate amps for the stereo system I'm running out of space but decided it was the right time to move the amp that powers the rear door speakers from the side of the storage unit into the qtr panel. This will let me mount an inverter where the amp was.
I ran 2 AWG line (not sure how big an inverter I want :D) from the aux battery to a power block (fused at the battery) mounted next to the amp. I ran individually fused leads to the amp, rear lighting and a new 12v power port (the 10 awg pigtails in the pic), and still have a 2 AWG output for the inverter power leads when the budget allows...
misc003-1.jpg

Last edited:
very nice revision and accessory there. I love the simplicity and function of it while keeping weight to a minimum at the same time. Id also love to hear that stereo sys. That will soon be working its way on to the "upcoming mod" list. Are you still pleased w/ teh subs in plywood?

very nice revision and accessory there. I love the simplicity and function of it while keeping weight to a minimum at the same time. Id also love to hear that stereo sys. That will soon be working its way on to the "upcoming mod" list. Are you still pleased w/ teh subs in plywood?

Thanks, everybody who has a fridge says they should have gotten it sooner and you add me to that list:D

I would love to have an "audiophile" take a listen and give an opinion ... I think it has killer sound (there maybe a little room to improve the overall sound imaging). The ultra lows make the loose change in the glovebox rattle :D but the box itself does not buzz or detract from the sound.
IMO, for a project like this a high quality plywood is perfect. I doubt there is a significant difference in the sound vs MDF on this unit. If I was building a stand alone sub box; something denser like MDF would be my first choice.
A storage unit needs to have much more versatility and ply provides a much better foundation to mount handles or attach things without worry, it will also stand up to far more abuse.

updated with inverter install

I finally finished the power inverter install in the rear qtr panel area and thought I would update this thread with the pics. I had to move the amp for the rear door speakers and that meant removing the factory storage cubby. I also added a fuse block.

Here is a view inside the panel
inverter001.jpg

I mentioned in another thread that I used some rubber mat as a water barrier you can sort of see it above the equip.
inverter002.jpg

Here is the panel in place with the 110v outlets and remote on/off switch as well as the 12v oulet for the fridge
inverter004.jpg

This pic shows the top of the inverter through the old subwoofer grill. It was mounted there to maximize airflow between the lower vent and the grill to prevent heat problems.
inverter003.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom