MoGas Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
GOLD Star
Threads
MoGas Mod for corner turn signals.

Ok guys, There has been discussion on the board before about adding a turn signal capability to the corner marker lights. There are some that add a small bulb to the housing, some who switch the bulb housings between the front turn signal and the corner marker light.

I introduce to you, The MoGas Mod!!!

We start with a couple tail lamp harnesses. These are Land Cruiser harnesses. I did look at a couple Toyota cars at the salvage yard and it seems like the tail/stop socket is the same or similar enough to work.

MoGasMod010.jpg

This is the socket we are looking for. (Tail/Stop)

MoGasMod011.jpg

You can see that the socket tabs are a little different, but the T/S socket will fit in the corner lamp hole with a small amount of finesse. I did not trim the tabs but I suppose you could if you so desired.

MoGasMod005.jpg

This is after unwrapping the harness and cutting the tail/stop socket from the rest of the donor harness.

MoGasMod015.jpg

Remove the corner lamp.

MoGasMod016.jpg

Cut the wires between the connector and existing bulb socket.

MoGasMod017.jpg

Connect the white wire of the donor to the white wire on the existing harness and the red wire from the donor to the green on the existing.

MoGasMod004.jpg

I ran the green wire towards the front turn signal by carefully cutting a small hole in the wrap for the corner and turn lamps and fishing the wire through.

MoGasMod007.jpg

Splice the green wire from the donor to the green wire on the plug for the front turn signal.

MoGasMod006.jpg

I left enough wire to cut the splice out as I plan on using the unused port in the factory connector when I get ahold of Dan to order the parts, I’ll post the update.

MoGasMod008.jpg

I drove around tonight and I definitely think this will be a great improvement in having other drivers or pedestrians at your side know my intention.

I used 3M butt splices that have solder in them and shrink tubing over. you put the stripped section of the wires in there and use a heat gun and the solder melts in and the splice gets sealed at the same time for a very clean connection.

Hope this helps those in the quest of side turn signals.

:cheers:
Dave

Last edited:
Oh yeah, this took about 2 hours to do including taking pics. the mod would be easier to do if you remove the headlamp assemblies, especially if you have fat hands.

Dave

I did that a few years ago with Tundra tail lamp sockets. My lenses are clear and I have amber bulbs in them.

Can you get just the sockets?

As a socket-and-wire assembly. New ones are not cheap. The ones I used were salvaged.

Did you utilize the unused port in the plug ? If so can you shoot me the prices for the required pieces tomorrow if you aren't too busy?

Thanks

Back from the archives, as I plan on doing this in a couple weeks. I have the black tail-lamp sockets on the way from a parted out cruiser, and I want to get the OEM wire splices figured out. The number on the truck-side of the corner marker connector is 11294, and I couldn't find a number on the lamp-side.

From what I can find, the 11294 socket takes 3 sealed female wire splices, either 82998-12440 (160mm long) or 82998-12590 (500mm long). I will order two of the longer splices, which should allow me to tap into the turn signal wire without having to extend the splice.

Based on a looking at pictures of Toyota housing connectors, the counterpart to the 11294 truck-side connector should be 11293 (would make sense too eh?). The 11293 lamp-side connector takes 3 sealed male splices 82998-12430 (160mm only). I'll order two of these to mate with the turn signal input from the "new" black sockets.

Once I get this done I'll post back whether or not those are the correct splices.
:cheers:

To follow up, the wire splices listed above are the correct ones for this mod. However the 500mm ones are $$$, so I ordered the short ones and added a length of wire to them.

I like the result. The "intent to turn" is definitely more visible from the side, and from the front the dual lights seem to grab more attention than a single flashing bulb. Thanks MoGas for posting this!

I did the same mod a while back and put a 1157 3-watt LED in place of the light bulb. I used the gray color 1157 light socket I pulled from the front parking/turn signal light of other Toyota models (corolla and celica). The tabs on the gray sockets were a perfect fit while the black sockets were a bit off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom