1st gen hardtop side sliding glass install help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Devilmans Hand

TLCA #19517
Threads
Website
www.capitallandcruiserclub.org
Hello Everyone

I managed to break the sliding glass on my 86 4runner, and found a replacement in less than 1hr. :doh:

Is there a trick to remove/install the rear glass part of the sliding window?
I couldn't get the glass out at the junkyard, so i just ripped the side window frame out.

any tips for install?

:hmm:

check the fsm. its all there.

thanks. I'll give that a try.

btw, the FAQ link has dead pictures and only addresses swapping out window frames with windows intact rather than just popping in a new piece of glass. I'd rather not have to do this if i can just lift the piece of glass out.

Last edited:
so i got the window figured out. it was only slightly a PITA

if anyone was curious...

remove the plastic trim.
remove the flexible window trim.

you'll get a view kind of like this one.
devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20370-cut-cut-cut.jpg

next you'll have to cut/push the butyl tape, or the black goo, holding the window frame to the fiberglass. I used my leatherman blade.
devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20369-cut-seal-here-between-window-frame-fiberglass.jpg

If you're lucky, you'll find the little piece of string embedded in the tape to help cut the seal.
devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20368-butyl-tape-string.jpg

once you've cut all away around the window seal you can now start to pry up the window frame. I started at the lower rear corner.

devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20371-gently-pry-frame-away-its-seal.jpg

keep peeling, but be sure not to bend/break anything else!
devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20373-slowly-pull-up-away.jpg

be sure not to let the whole assembly just plop out on the driveway!

empty hole.
devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20375-img-20110927-142110.jpg

this is what the window frame looks like, sans one piece of glass...
devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20376-img-20110927-142128.jpg

now that its all out, you can start cursing.
clean up the mating services with a razor and some scotch brite. It scrapes pretty easily.

remove the metal exterior "L trim" piece. There are 5 or so sheet metal screws holding it on from the backside.

There are two silver screws on the frame holding a bar in place between the window glass. They're hidden under some rubber trim.
devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20378-unscrew-one-one-opposite-side-allow-removal-center-bar-inbetween-windows.jpg

I didn't take any pix of removing the glass, but will insert the fsm sheets here
devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20379-fsm1.jpg

devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20380-fsm2.jpg

devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20381-fsm3.jpg

This part is the PITA.

you need to stand the frame upward, as it sits in the 4runner, and slide the glass towards the center. put your feet inside the frame, between the glass and the frame. Pull upwards from the top of the frame while pushing inside to outside on the smaller piece of glass. I put a little cushion to catch the falling glass so it wouldn't break. Use the same technique for the metal cross bar, and then for the bigger piece of glass.
Install is the reverse.

This is were i had to stop b/c of the rain.
I couldn't find butyl tape in the correct thickness, so i had the parts guy get me a 3m product. Black gooey calking strips. I'll post part # later.

Last edited:
cool. The pix are uploaded onto ih8mud, so they shouldn't disappear.

i ran the 3m strips two wide on the window frame and applied some 3m weatherseal adhesive on the fiberglass. Squish it into the fiberglass. i taped it in with some masking tape to let the adhesive cure. time will tell if it all holds.

devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20413-strip-calk.jpg

devilmans-hand-albums-tech-pix-picture20414-what-looks-like.jpg

Is there actual weather stripping that goes between the window frame and the hard top or is it just tape?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom