Idle Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
noticed this morning (in stop and go traffic) that my 92 22re truck idles back and forth between 900-1000 rpms. When I got to work I aslo noticed it that it would do it when I would step on the brake. When I release the brake, idle goes up and then stabilizes.

What could it be? the TPS?

Thanks for the help,
Luis

Before you do anything, pull the intake hose off the Throttle Body, get a can of carb cleaner and a toothbrush and clean the hell out of the intake/butterfly valve/and idle circuit port.

If you have not done this yet to this truck, it is likely to be VERY corroded.

You will need a lot of paper towels and a set of rubber gloves. You will be surprised how dirty it will be.

Should take about 30 total minutes. See what happens. You may have to decrease your idle speed after IF someone has just increased idle speed to compesate what is actually a idle flow issue due to a clogged port in the throttle body.

Before you do anything, pull the intake hose off the Throttle Body, get a can of carb cleaner and a toothbrush and clean the hell out of the intake/butterfly valve/and idle circuit port.

If you have not done this yet to this truck, it is likely to be VERY corroded.

You will need a lot of paper towels and a set of rubber gloves. You will be surprised how dirty it will be.

Should take about 30 total minutes. See what happens. You may have to decrease your idle speed after IF someone has just increased idle speed to compesate what is actually a idle flow issue due to a clogged port in the throttle body.

Thanks J-lemon,

I actually pulled off the whole throttle body about 3 weeks ago and cleaned it to "like new" condition... I did mess with an idle screw on top of the TB yesterday because it was idling low...hmmm, maybe I messed it up. I do not drive this truck too much so I had not noticed this problem.

Luis

OK. Then it is more than likely not it.

Does it fluctuate without the brake being depressed i.e. just in Neutral/flat surface?

Heres what your problem is:

The 22re has a system, where it cuts out the fuel injectors when you hit the brakes. This helps you save fuel. When the idle is too high, they system keeps cycling between the low rmp, and what you set your idle speed at.

Solution: Turn down your idle.

Yep, make sure Idle speed and timing are right on, should disappear in a flash.

Heres what your problem is:

The 22re has a system, where it cuts out the fuel injectors when you hit the brakes. This helps you save fuel. When the idle is too high, they system keeps cycling between the low rmp, and what you set your idle speed at.

Solution: Turn down your idle.

Problem fixed! Turned idle down and problem disappeared...

Thank you all!

Meatloaf

thats good info to know. thanks. now to my piece. glad you got your fixed.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom