OEM Filter Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
No more big Toyota filters....at least that's what the stealership tech said....

Toyota has 'superseded' the bigger filters with small ones....I want my BIG filter....

WTF:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I use a WIX 51773. I think they are about a quart and a half capacity, or about two inches deeper than a standard filter.

Tony

Cruiser Dan at American still sells the big ones as well as the goodest of the smaller ones that come on new FJ cruiser and 4runners from Japan.

Not to hijack, but....

Is there anyway to change those filters without getting oil everywhere?

Is there a mechanical benefit to orienting the filter with inlet/outlet down?

Not to hijack, but....

Is there anyway to change those filters without getting oil everywhere?

Is there a mechanical benefit to orienting the filter with inlet/outlet down?

Poke a hole in the top of filter and let drain for awhile or overnight if you have the time. When you go to unscrew it, there won't be very much oil or any at all in the filter.

If you want a large filter a WIX 51773 is about 2 inches deeper/taller than a 51515. I looked thru a Wix catalog and found the larger filter. All the specs are the exactly same as a 51515 but it has more capacity meaning more filter.
inmount.jpg

Thanks, but a big full flow won't fit with my big bypass ;)
inmount.jpg

What does the by-pass do for a gas engine, I thought they were for diesels?

Tony

Well, aside from filtering out particulate down to about 2 micron (which is likely a bigger deal with the soot of a diesel, but can be demonstrated with gas too) it gets the filters up where they are easy to change without a mess, adds oil capacity, perhaps scavenges out more moisture, cooks breakfast in the morning and translates 5 languages into english. :p

As much as anything, I got sick of the oil filter mess, and like the play value of adding something like this. It makes me more comfortable running fairly long drain intervals too. (7,500 km of mixed driving with a TBN of 2.7 from Blackstone after, recently >12,000 km of dominantly highway driving, no test results yet...)

Here's the thread on it if you are interested: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/191368-amsoil-remote-oil-filter-mount-good-idea.html Some interesting pics of the oil near the end.

Thanks for the humor and the info

Tony

I just came back from a trip to Aruba yesterday. While I was "off-roading" in my rental Wrangler, I stopped to chat with a guy driving a gas 1990 70 Series. After talking for a bit, he lifted the hood to show me the engine. I noticed that he had the correct "big" 15600-41010 Made in Japan oil filter on his truck. I asked about the filter, and he said that he just changed the oil recently, and he purchased the filter at the local Toyota dealer (only 1 Toyota dealer on the island) two weeks ago. Is that filter still produced for other markets, and just NLA for America?
I was going to stop at the dealer, but it was Sunday and they were closed.

Zack

beno, do items in the inventory of individual dealerships show up when you do parts searches? I've always wondered if one might luck into finding one or two old stock items at their local dealership if they were to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom