Oil change help. Dumb question. Napa gold filter. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Changed my oil yesterday wiht 8.2 quarts of Chevron Delo 15w40, and used a napa gold 1515 filter.

Today checked my oil level and its WAY over the full line. Oil stops on the dipstick where the dipstick turns from flat to the round tube.

I assumed the Napa Gold 1515 filter was the same size of the large OEM filter, so I put in 8.2 quarts.

Do I need to drain some oil out?? Whats going on here? (I drove about 15-20 miles after the oil change so there is oil in the filter, etc)

-thanks

Yeah, usually I put about 7.5-7.8 too, but thats when using the small toyota filter.

Doesn't make any sense that I used the napa gold filter (assuming it is the same size as the large OEM one), put in 8.2 quarts, and now the oil level is WAY too full. I'll just drain some out i guess...

Last edited:
I always fill the filter before installing it, takes about 3/4 litre (quart). Than I add the rest of the oil, 6 litre's (quarts) at first, check the level (before starting) than put a bit more in if I need to, start up the truck for a couple of mins, holding it at 1500 rpm and than shutting down, check the level again and add if needed.

Mainlander on the gas engines the oil filter is facing down so you can try to fill it but you will be making a mess.

I have seen that Toyota was smarter on the B and H series engines and the oil filter open end is facing up.

I tends to be a messy situation removing the oil filter.

Mine doesn't hold 8.2 quarts even with the big toyota filters, I always fill the filter, add about 6 quarts then check and fill until its right, run it and check again.

Fixed. I drained some out, and the level is right now. Thanks.

Still don't know why no ones 62 takes 8.2 quarts of oil even with the large Toyota OEM filter. Oh well..

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom