broke tap in oil galley hole!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
yup, my neighbor almost got to see a grown man cry.

now what? ideas?

can i have the hole welded over somehow?

i can't believe i broke it. i thought i was going slow in half turn increments too. guess not.

help please.

there are special drill bits for removing taps.

thanks, i'll go buy one tommorow.

angle adapter for my drill-$30

4 screws (to find the right one)-$2.50

tap, bit, and handle-$15

loctite and another tap-$15

this has turned out to be an expensive time consuming hole!

Machine tool suppliers sell tap extractors - they have 4 little spring steel fingers that go down the tap in the voids & grab it to screw it out (lame description but I can't remember who I bought mine from or I'd just paste the link in here).

You'll play hell trying to dill that out. I broke a small tap on a bolt and I was never able to get the tap out. Some places its just about impossible to keep the drill / bit from walking off the tap or bolt cobmination you are trying to drill into. What kind of dirll bits are these (for tap removal) I have some good titianum bits and did not have much luck. Every time the bit would hit the tap it would kick over or walk over to the side....

You'll play hell trying to dill that out. I broke a small tap on a bolt and I was never able to get the tap out. Some places its just about impossible to keep the drill / bit from walking off the tap or bolt cobmination you are trying to drill into. What kind of dirll bits are these (for tap removal) I have some good titianum bits and did not have much luck. Every time the bit would hit the tap it would kick over or walk over to the side....

It knda depends on how good the tap is as well. If it's a harbor frieght version it should not be too hard.

You can also braze the hole shut or pack it with JB Weld or something similar. Either approch will work well with the tap filling most of the void.

Mark...

the spring steel fingers sound like they might work.

i wasn't cranking on it or anything so hopefully it comes loose.

it was from home depot Irwin was the brand. i didn't drill all the way through as i found a shorter screw to use. i think i ran the tap in beyond the drilled out hole. oops.

maybe my "how to remove a broken tap out of the oil galley hole" thread will be more usefull than simply how to plug the galley hole.

faq for screw ups.

You can also braze the hole shut or pack it with JB Weld or something similar. Either approch will work well with the tap filling most of the void.

Mark...

i was waiting for someone to suggest that. coming from you mark i'll consider it. you're correct, the hole is almost filled anyway and that tap won't back out on it's own. cool.

I had a few nice words to say when that happened to me. Snap-on tap and snap-on drill bits. My mistake was ...first I was lucky and was able to drill completly through the seized bolt with a small drill bit. I take back what I said above... I broke an "ease-out" and was never able to get it out. I used the small sized ease out and applied to much force, too quickly and the next thing I knew I had a harndned ease out in the middle of my sized / brocken bolt... To say I was "pissed-off" is an understatement! So then I tired to drill out the brockent bolt with the hardned ease-out and that's where I did not have any luck at all.

my JB weld says "steel"

will that work?

That is half of it. You need the hardener as well.

i was thinking they made a set for aluminum and one for steel. i googled them and you use them for either metal.

yes, i have both the hardener and the "steel". :)

thanks for the help guys, i'm filling it this morning.

thanks, i'll go buy one tommorow.

angle adapter for my drill-$30

4 screws (to find the right one)-$2.50

tap, bit, and handle-$15

loctite and another tap-$15

this has turned out to be an expensive time consuming hole!

this post reminds me of one of those master card priceless commercials. you just forgot the punch line: "seeing a grown man cry....priceless"

you are probably not seeing the humor in my post.... :doh:

taps are strange things, once you break a bunch you get the feel for what is too much pressure.

Also I try not to use a tap too many times. Once it gets old its been stretched too many times it breaks easier.

I find going slow and backing it out and cleaning the hole many times helps prevent breakage. Once it binds, stop. Then back it out.

Before ya JB weld make it super clean.

I can see the next thread:
"Broke Tap Removal Tool"

There are alternatives to JB Weld specific to Alum/casts.
Me, I'd just braze the sucker...

The oil galley hole is unquestionably not the place to try this, but I've been told that you can break up a tap with a sharp pointed punch into pieces, as it's quite brittle. Again, this is for future reference, e.g., a blind hole, no engine parts to damage.

this post reminds me of one of those master card priceless commercials. you just forgot the punch line: "seeing a grown man cry....priceless"

you are probably not seeing the humor in my post.... :doh:

actually that was what i was going for, but my punchline was lost while i was feeling sorry for myself.

i think this is going to work as long as i clean it up really good first.

i think the real lesson here is if you have a dirty hole to tap, take your time and don't go too deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom