Pics of the new ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got her saturday morning, so far I've:
Changed the oil (black and viscous)
Changed one fuel filter (don't even ask, but toyota is replacing the fuel tank free of charge)
New air filter (old one was pretty much black)
Replaced the vacuum lines
Vacuumed the truck
Washed her
in progress.JPG
engine bay.JPG
lights.JPG

More
color.JPG
posing.JPG

Nice, I just picked up a 62 the same color with the same dent/scratch on the qt'r... Looks good man.

Oh yeah, the old fuel filter -
This is what was coming OUT of the filter (at least there were two in a row, but still, this crap is going into the engine:
filter crap.JPG

Looking great! :beer:

Where you keeping it? In the city?

They ship it with the TX plates on there? :confused:

those rear shackles man - woah. i would take a /serious/ look at those before driving anywhere. is that steel strapping? :X

nice dumpster of crap, did that all come out of the 60?

Nice rig, agreed on the rear shackles get you a new set from somewhere. LOoks like you got agreat truck and have started on the correct foot with maint.

Good deal on the tank recall, that will solve a lot of problems for you. Those rear shackels look kinda scary. Are the fronts the same? Swap those out QUICK. Nice shiny paint. When are you gonna go scratch it up.

Dynosoar

Looks good! But don't forget to replace the brake fluid, this liquid is more than often overlooked. The car seems to have a recently replaced clutch master cylinder (OEM?), so did you check the condition of the brake master/slave cylinder?

Thanks for the kind words, I love it so far.

Mike - don't even ask about the dealership. THey sent the title without signing it over too. that was fun. I'm keepign the tx plates until the ny dmv gives me my new ones, then I'll probably put them up on the garage wall. Truck and other car will probably switch places in the city. It'll be interesting trying to explain that my garage rate shouldn't go up for the truck.

Rear shackles are actually 1/4" steel - they're beefier than i thought. That said, I'm buying a carb on saturday, along with some other parts, hopefully stock shackles included.

as for the brake fluid, it's pretty much black. I have new pads, new discs, and new rear slave cylinders. When I get the engine running right, I'll dive into the brakes. Never worked on brakes before, so I'm kind of looking forward to that but a little cautious at the same time. I've heard brakes are important.

re: dumpster full of crap - doing work on the house - it's actually my family's house. In the dumpster are the original stove and range (both circa 1952, both bright pink), miscellaneous other stuff, and I think a fake christmas tree on top. if any of you would like to buy said crap, I will make you a good deal. it's actually not a dumpster - it's a "collectible item preservation bin." get it while it's hot.

THe oldsmobile wagon is leaving the family after 17 years of service, being donated to a charity. Again, if anyone wants it for a good price, let me know by tomorrow.

Very nice. Looks like it's in great shape.

How long did it take you to replace all the vacuum lines?

South,

Vacuum lines probably took 2-3 hours all in. Once you have the mcmaster silicone tubing (or whatever you want to use) and a pair of wire clippers or scissors, it's just a matter of cracking a beer and pulling a piece, measuring against the roll, clipping, and re-inserting. I used an X-acto knife to make a slit in the existing tubing parallel to the tube where it attaches to the tips, then split it with a fingernail. made removal much easier. Other hint I could offer would be to start with the outer ones and work your way in. start with an inner "section" of tubing, but get the ones that are easier to reach, because the older tubes are easy to knock off the tips when trying to dislodge other ones further in.

Last edited:
The truck may sit a little lower after getting real shackles put on. Those leaf springs could probably be replaced too...

Nice color truck...

Where did you get the vacuum line and how much? This is somthing that i have to do to my cruiser as well.:doh:

Tubing

This thread should have everything you need for the silicone tubing. The red is more of a clay/brick red than a ricer/fast red, but it's still faster than black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom