79 power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys ..need some help....is the 79 fj40 OEM power steering set up(ps pump,ps gearbox pulleys ,bracket,etc) can be bolt on to 76 fj40..any input pls...Thanks

The PS box and steering column will swap from 79 back to 76.

But the 76 block doesn't have the mounting holes for the PS pump. Either swap the 79-newer block into the 76, or go with a different PS pump, like a saginaw in a fabricated bracket.

meaning i can't use the PS pump?how about the hose?if i buy saginaw PS pump and those bracket can i use those hose from the 79?.....thanks

The reason why i ask you this question is,i just bought from fellow mudder a complete set of PS system including pump, gearbox,bracket,reservior etc.Any advice or comment ..thanks

meaning i can't use the PS pump?how about the hose?if i buy saginaw PS pump and those bracket can i use those hose from the 79?.....thanks

negative, you would need to source a special hose metric fitting on 1 end and US fitting on the other end to match up with the saginaw pump.

Another thread mentioned that a Volvo saginaw pump had the proper metric connections on it. I looked at the thread recently, do a search on Volvo.

You might be able to modify the saginaw pump mount to hold the Toyota pump. Otherwise your block has no mounting points on the drivers side. I have a F1.5 on my 74 and the alternator was mounted on the drivers side so I had a place to start to mount a Toyota pump.

This is how it was factory on the 79.
MVC-293F.JPG

any idea where can i get or sell the bracket to fit the oem PS pump pls.. or anyone who fabricate here fellow mudders

If you did not get the steering column also, it won't bolt up.......PS column shaft is shorter between the firewall and the box.......you can take the column out, remove the flange, shorten and mig it back....but it is a PITA

If you go with a sag pump and want to keep a stock air cleaner,you need Mark's bracket and no smog pump.If not keeping stock air cleaner their are a few options,one to the motor mount works well.If you have the Toy end of your pressure line,take it to a shop and they can fuse the metric fitting on a custom line.Heres mine mounted to the smog pump bracket:)
DSCN1108.jpg

Like Texican said you'll need to cut about an inch out of your steering shaft to fit the Toyota PS box. If you can lose your air pump the PS pump can go there. Marks mount with a saganaw pump might be easier than making your own pump bracket.

Here's the mount I made to fit my pump under the F1.5 air cleaner.
Pump%20bracket2[1].jpg
pump[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom