plan on finishing my rear tire carrier this weekend... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some of you may remember I asked for some examples of tire carriers?
The costal get together was great, because I was able to see some fine carriers first hand.

Glen's carrier, among others utilized bolts for mounting, which I really liked because I was originally thinking of welding something onto my rear bumper.

So here goes:
brackets are done, made from 4" x 1/2" plate which takes forever to cut and drill.
attached through the bumper/rear xmember w/grade 8bolts.

follow at your own risk :D
manny
rearBUMPER1.jpg
rearBUMPER2.jpg
rearBUMPER3.jpg

Carrier is done, now need to work on jerry can mount...

two pics before I crash :D

survey says?

manny
tire1.jpg
tire2.jpg

how do you take the tire off with out it falling on you?

that still pretty good, i plan on makin mine soon too. were there any problems that you ran into well making this?

If you notice, there is a removable pin sightly to the left of center (horizontal tube).
Remove the pin, and the tire swings down...insert pin again to lock in horizontal table mode.

I think the hardest part of the build was dealing with the 1/2 plate for the brackets...no plasma cutter :(

I may add some zerks, and possibly a retaining latch to keep it more secure when in the upright position.

As far as the jerry can holder, I am looking for a secure design that allows easy removable (to accommodate the passenger side door).
A strap/hinge design that would work when can is left at home would be nice.

Tire side mounting is highly recommended, improved driver visibility (thanks Jeremiah :) ).

manny

why go with a drop down holder instead of a swing away? just wondering, as i am still in the planing stages of my tire holder also :D
Shane

Shane,
I like the idea of having a multi functioning carrier.

The game-plan is to have a piece of mdf/plywood that can be wing-nutted behind the carrier when it is in the horizontal position - Instant table when camping.

Ice coolers are regularly used as tables when camping...I think this would be a bit nicer.

It could also be a bed extention (when stationary) ?
It could provide another sleeping option, when you want to sleep inside your cruiser (ground is too wet)...or lack of shelter.

The draw back to this design is that it requires some additional room for access to the bed (for carrier to swing down).

manny

I like your "out of the box" thinking.

How in the hell did you get thru 1/2 plate so smooth? Was it the fire wrench and a lot of grinding?

manny , put the table piece on and a small drop down kicker leg then you could just step up on table to unload back , IMO access is still good.

Cliff,
Don't remember how many zip discs it took...lost count.
Drilling also took a while, especially when you break a drill-bit on one of the bolt holes :(

good thing I don't forsee any more 1/2 plate projects, otherwise I might have to start looking for a plasma cutter :D

your input is appreciated...thanks,
manny

I saw that bumper this weekend. He did a great job fabbing it, and its pretty stout. I agree with Peesalot that maybe some kind of a flip down stand would be cool. Cause then you could flip the tire down and stand on it to load up your roof rack that you will probably have someday.
it occured to me this am, for the jerry can holder- are you going to have to take the cans off to open the rear doors? Not a huge deal really since the drivers side one is the only one I ever open anyway, just curious.

Looks good!

Cheers-
Dustin

They make a lawnchair with small legs, I do not know exactly what they are for but they are cheap. With one of those a piece of plywood, a blanket to cover your tire and a sandbag you could have a great shooting bench.
Hey I am from Idaho we think like that

Dustin,
you are correct sir!
can will have to be removed to open passenger side door...when I have a can back there.
bracket will have to be of a low-profile design to clear when no can is being used.

Dietoy,
Maybe after Rubithon...only have one more weekend before Rubithon :D

manny

mr_manny said:
Cliff,
Don't remember how many zip discs it took...lost count.
Drilling also took a while, especially when you break a drill-bit on one of the bolt holes :(

good thing I don't forsee any more 1/2 plate projects, otherwise I might have to start looking for a plasma cutter :D

your input is appreciated...thanks,
manny

Wow! :eek: You are one paitient guy. Them cutoff wheels in the air tool on anything ove 3/8 would be hell for me. My compressor would keep up but barely. Maybe you had electric power, that would be a little better.

hat's off to your diligence :beer:

Homer says mmmmmmm plasma mmmm :doh: Stupid expensive tools dreams!

electric power...

manny

Here's a side pic:
tire3.jpg

now, which orientation for the jerry can?

manny
tire4.jpg
tire5.jpg

I thought I would post up some additional pics that could help w/your build-ups :D
tire.jpg
tire2.jpg
tire1.jpg

thanks for your ideas/replies,
manny
tire3.jpg

Originally I was utilizing a pin to hold the carrier in the up-right position.

Due to the lack of leverage, this turned-out to be a poor LONGterm solution, as the hole would elongate over time. I feel the new design is much better, and really like not having to make any additional holes in my tub.

Rubithon Tested :D
tire5.jpg
tire6.jpg
tire7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom