E-Brake on Tcase or Drums? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MarcoPolo

Mud.. it's a life...
Threads
My 76-40 came not with an e-brake... motor & body numbers are correct for the year. I've replace the hand pull under the dash now and looking for what is suppose to be next. Did this LC come with the tcase ebrake? I'm not sure I'm seein such an item under there to connect to, but prob to the drums... & more so I'm uncertain of which cable to buy for it. Thanx

Should be on the rear of the transfer case.

The design of the Land Cruiser drum brakes prior to 08/80 does not permit a parking brake.

Should be on the rear of the transfer case.

The design of the Land Cruiser drum brakes prior to 08/80 does not permit a parking brake.

Thanks Poser... what exactly am I looking for? & does it attach at the top or where... Like I said.. a bit in the dark here knowing what to look for.

Poser this one is on a 5 speed box with the chassis rail cut and turned :D

100_3232.jpg

:rolleyes: Ya.....No..... If what you've got there is typ of the tcase brake, I sure I don't have that on mine. Just looked again and the driveline connects directly to the tcase. There's a cable inner connected between the drums in the rear, at the level with the axle. So what's the cable I'm looking for to connect to that?

Are you saying I should not expect to see a cable brake to the drums??

:meh: please klarrrifie :wrench:

Poser this one is on a 5 speed box with the chassis rail cut and turned :Dquote]

Thanx for the pic matt :cheers:

You got some mud on ur nose....n ur truck 2 :steer:

:rolleyes: Ya.....No..... If what you've got there is typ of the tcase brake, I sure I don't have that on mine. Just looked again and the driveline connects directly to the tcase. There's a cable inner connected between the drums in the rear, at the level with the axle. So what's the cable I'm looking for to connect to that?

Like this? This is on a 5 speed box too so its closer to the cross member than normal.

100_1706.jpg

Like this...

Orange-TO-01.jpg

Like this? This is on a 5 speed box too so its closer to the cross member than normal.

100_1706.jpg

Mine does not look that close to the frame member. Mine is easily 2-3" away from that. On your first pic, the cable I see there-on mine if I'm not mistake (or maybe so) isn't that the speedo cable going into the case?
And just as ur pic shows, to me, there is no tcase drum brake.

Poser; Like this...

No such luck.. don't have that so I 'm supposing not there at all or was removed at one time.

Nice break on that tcase...

Last edited:
Workin on the pic

Do you have a full float rear axle or a semi floating rear axle?

Pics

SSPX0549.jpg

SSPX0548.jpg

Ear ya go.... yeah it needs some tlc
SSPX0549.jpg
SSPX0548.jpg

Do you have a full float rear axle or a semi floating rear axle?

I don't know if I've ever been asked that before....are ou getting fresh with me now......:flipoff2:
I don't know that answer. Had the truck about 2 years now..... and a busy life :doh: outside of it....:crybaby:

Sounds like your rear axle and transfer case are from a later year than your truck is. If I'm not mistaken that axle and transfer case were introduced in '81 or '82.

My 76-40 came not with an e-brake...

Ok-

Your pictures have cleared up that you have a later transfer case and transmission in your truck. The split case in the USA was introduced in 08/80, the same time that the rear axle housing changed, the rear brakes changed and the parking brake was installed on the rear axle, opposed to the transfer case.

It is not unreasonable to think that someone just swapped in a later four speed and transfer case assembly, with no care about the parking brake. I would be very surprised to find that you have a later rear axle assembly as well.

Post up a few pictures of your rear axle: Show the backing plate, where the brake fluid tubes attach to the wheel cylinder/s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom