The Walter Moses FJ40 steel tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
...Just wanted to show off a friend's work. This is the tub Walter is building for my 1980 FJ40. We decided to use 1/8" cold rolled steel, though many he builds are thicker (he's rebuilt dozens this way). Needless to say, they can take a ton of abuse, and should last an incredibly long time. Rails, door jams, etc, are all reused. Check it out and ask questions if ya got em'.

80FJ40_001_0.jpg

80FJ40_003_0.jpg

80FJ40_004_0.jpg

80FJ40_005_0.jpg

I've seen a few of these firsthand, including the one on his personal rig. They are bulletproof.

Hey Brian - Nice rig!

I wheel with Wally and have seen many of his tub creations take serious abuse on the trail. I'm in line for one once my oem tub dies. Wally creates some beefy stuff.

Randy

Garbage.

Useless.

Too much weight.

Guy seems like a hack.

Get a Malotte tub and be done with it.

:)

Looks like a alot of weight using 1/8" thick steel. I wonder how the tub will hold up compared to some 14 gauge with ribbing?

i have about the 3rd tub that tyke built...it has about 80-90,000 miles on it? the most of any moses tubs...it is holding up really well. the weight i can live with...its saved me many a time...off trees...off rocks...i've broben many rocks with it actually...and held up with just a few scratches during a 65mph roll over.

I stand behind his tubs...100% ...if you DD it rinocoat the inside...and undercoat it.

Tyke is a good guy and his tubs BLOW everyones away.

I am joking. The tub ends up around 250 lbs heavier than stock. Very close to running a hardtop. And that is with 3/16th's sides and 1/4" main supports. The 1/8th" will be less.

Brian, I like how he ran the rocker. He normally does not blend them in like that.

My rig has a Wally Built tub too. Beautiful work, and can take a betting unlike any other tub I have ever seen. I would highly recommend his work to anyone.
OEM top 7-19-06 004 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Just me personally, and argue about the weight all you want, but I am pretty impressed with this. 250 extra pounds is nothing on a Land Cruiser. The man clearly cares about his work.

I was thinking about beefing up the rear quarters on my FJ40 with 1/8th inch just to decrease the dents I get there. Now I think I will.

When you look at the price of an Aqualu or some Malotte junk, and consider the cost of the steel that's involved, those tubs are very reasonable.

Just make sure you have a backhoe ready to lower it onto the frame. :D

Tyke rebuilt parts of the cowl on my Cruiser, good guy to to do business with, his work is MUCH stronger than stock. From what I've seen his tubs are way beefier than the stock steel, Auqualu or glass tubs; they're built to withstand sliding into a tree or grinding over rocks.

My rig has a Wally Built tube too. Beautiful work, and can take a betting unlike any other tube I have ever seen. I would highly recommend his work to anyone.

whoa whoa whoa... this cruiser is BEAUTIFUL...i want to know more about it...have you done a ROTW on that vehicle? More pics please

That thing is the BOMB!:beer:

whoa whoa whoa... this cruiser is BEAUTIFUL...i want to know more about it...have you done a ROTW on that vehicle? More pics please

That thing is the BOMB!:beer:

Thanks for the compliments! No, I haven't done a rig of the week yet..... I never really thought about it much......

I will get to it after the Holidays...... too busy right now....

Chris

I've seen a Tyke Moses tub slide sideways into a tree on a New England trail and actually *bounce* back, no damage. Very cool work, well worth the extra weight!

For those of you who have not seen me post up about his work 400 times, I have a Poor wally's tub, and it is an nice piece of fabrication. He also did my PS conversion, and has had a hand in almost everything we have done to my truck in the last 10 years.

I bought it from his brother when I was in college.

His work is top notch, and holds up to insane damage.

Chris, you SHOULD do a ROTW on the 40. Start writing now, so that it is done by the new year. You have quite the list o mods over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom