Traction control is locking front left wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in West Virginia at Snowshoe. On the way up the other day the front left brake just suddenly applied a couple of times. The roadway was dry except for some leftover sand and gravel from the last melt. It happened both times while going pretty slow in a curve and applying the brakes a little. It braked so hard one time it nearly pulled me across the center. I thought it was just sensing a slip on the sand but no. It locked big time up earlier while on the snow and I had to back it up and put it in low with the diff locked to get it to move. Making a whining grinding noise now, sounds like something is hanging up, maybe the brake. How can I disable that wheel or the system to get it back home, or what else can I do?

Thanks

Sounds like the atrac is kicking in. You might want to try and disconnect the battery for a bit then reconnect.

I thought about that, but if there is a problem/malfunction with the system will it just happen again. I'm trying to find a way to disconnect the wheel or system regardless of whether it disables the vsc/trac and abs. Hell, I've driven plenty of 4x's without so I think I can make it home without. I'm really wanting my 80 back - not as many gizmos

I had the same issue, ended up being a dirty wheel speed sensor. Unplug the wheel speed sensor on the driver side (by the fuse block) and it will disable the entire system. I had the system lock up the driver wheel at 80MPH ( when I say lock up I meant the wheel stopped and smoke billowing) on the way to URE and almost pulled me into the wall.

Steering Angle Sensor not nulled so its telling VSC to activate? Had an alignment or steering rack work done lately? Other have reported weird stuff happening during braking or accelerating while turning (e.g. tight on/off ramp ) due to the steering angle sensor not being reset after front end work. Just a thought.

I will bet dollars to doughnuts it is a dirty wheel speed sensor . Pull the fuse in order to get it home, then clean the wheel speed sensors and you'll be good to go.

I will bet dollars to doughnuts it is a dirty wheel speed sensor . Pull the fuse in order to get it home, then clean the wheel speed sensors and you'll be good to go.

x2 on the wheel speed sensor.

I had the same issue, ended up being a dirty wheel speed sensor. Unplug the wheel speed sensor on the driver side (by the fuse block) and it will disable the entire system. I had the system lock up the driver wheel at 80MPH ( when I say lock up I meant the wheel stopped and smoke billowing) on the way to URE and almost pulled me into the wall.

Yeah, almost pulled me into the other lane. I'll check this out. Thanks

Steering Angle Sensor not nulled so its telling VSC to activate? Had an alignment or steering rack work done lately? Other have reported weird stuff happening during braking or accelerating while turning (e.g. tight on/off ramp ) due to the steering angle sensor not being reset after front end work. Just a thought.

Toyota just did new rotors, pads, wheel bearings, cv's.......... etc. Thanks for the help.

I got it back and it's at the dealer.

Last edited:
Front diff problems, which led to the left wheel rotating at slightly higher speed than the other three wheels, which in turn caused the atrac system to activate to slow the wheel.

Same dealer? Sounds a little vague, did they give specifics on this "diff" problem?

Sounds like BS to me. Everytime you go around a corner the wheels turn at a different speed.Unless that is compensated for by the steering angle sensor.

Same dealer? Sounds a little vague, did they give specifics on this "diff" problem?

No, I took it to a different dealer. They checked the codes, several from traction system were registered, checked speed of wheels and found difference, put it on a lift and felt and listened to diff - making awful noise and vibration, checked fluid and found it full with lots of shavings/chunks of metal. Suspect bearing failure or r/p and rest went to crap.

Taking to local diff shop to rebuild, regear and lock front and rear.

Sounds like BS to me. Everytime you go around a corner the wheels turn at a different speed.Unless that is compensated for by the steering angle sensor.

They said due to damage in diff left front wheel was 1/2 mph faster than other 3. They checked brakes, sensors, et. I can't see how some sensor problem would be causing the vibration and noise. Don't know, but I'm taking it to a local diff shop.

Agree the dealers "diff problem" story sounds BS. Just re read your OP - wheel lock up when turning and applying brakes, locked up again and you had to reverse to free it up, grinding noise! suggestive of a mechanical problem like a binding pad or a tool left in the wrong place. Not nearly as exciting as a failed VSC input I guess, it would be interesting to see if your new rotor is scorched or a new pad is ground down on the offending side.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

sounds like you've got root cause under control, but if it were me, I'd be extremely skeptical of the work performed by the Toyota dealer on your front axles/bearings, and rotors, and the coincidental demise of your front diff. But I'm a cynical SOB...

sounds like you've got root cause under control, but if it were me, I'd be extremely skeptical of the work performed by the Toyota dealer on your front axles/bearings, and rotors, and the coincidental demise of your front diff. But I'm a cynical SOB...

I agree 100% and that is why I'm taking it directly to the gear and diff guys. Hopefully, they will let me know if they suspect that the work done at Toyota had anything to do with the problem.

I'm in West Virginia at Snowshoe. On the way up the other day the front left brake just suddenly applied a couple of times. The roadway was dry except for some leftover sand and gravel from the last melt. It happened both times while going pretty slow in a curve and applying the brakes a little. It braked so hard one time it nearly pulled me across the center. I thought it was just sensing a slip on the sand but no. It locked big time up earlier while on the snow and I had to back it up and put it in low with the diff locked to get it to move.
Thanks

Your diff is blown at this point, (probably C & P) you locked the centre diff to force drive to the rear wheels. Was this before the sandy road, if so while on sand it would have been binding and jamming. If it was after, it was still probably binding on the sandy road meaning the diff was blown earlier.
What caused it to blow, think back to any wheeling.
ATRAC or VSC could have caused it, difficult to tell.
LCAdvocate said:
Toyota just did newrotors, pads, wheel bearings, cv's.......... etc. Thanks for the help.

I got it back and it's at the dealer.

I would check the wheel speed sensors and sensor rings, if they damaged one while doing the bearings (or left a sensor unplugged or loose) then VSC or ATRAC may have braked your wheel while under load causing diff to fail, not sure if this has been documented before, but certainly would be possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom