Yeti’s Cryptid Hundy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First start by saying thanks to all who contribute here :flipoff2:!!

I have decided to post a build thread even though I have not had that much to build on the Hundy yet
DSC00888.JPG

as of today...
DSC07016.JPG

a cryptid is a creature whose existence has been suggested but that is unrecognized by a Scientific consensus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and whose existence is moreover often regarded as highly unlikely (mall cruiser to expo rig....)

The world over knows the Land Cruiser as the one of the best platforms for expedition and adventure travel so when It came to buying one it was a no brainer. But buying a truck that has over 175k miles on the clock can be a risky proposition for any type vehicle. I will start with a little back ground on me. I have owned an 80s , an Fj40 and currently a BJ40. I had parted with the 80s when I encounter some engine issues after a trip and some prodding from the wife and bought a new Tacoma. I loved the 80s platform but this one did not have lockers and I always felt it was under powered when towing a camping trailer. Most of my travels are Expo style driving / camping with very little extreme off road conditions. When I bought the newer Tacoma, I went all out and bought the top of line double cab TRD 4x4. I soon found that the items I had grown accustomed to were not there in a 2006 truck but were there in the 1996 80s. (go figure) Anyway having two kids and car seats we were snug in the Tacoma to say the least. I quickly bought an ARE cap to cover the bed. This platform felt like driving a deer but also felt soft like a car. I soon started looking at upgrades and modifications and limitations. Don’t get me wrong I think the Tacoma is a great platform and after reading some great writing from some expo travelers, I figured it would work for me. After 3 years of service to me and taking me and the family on several trips, I starting missing a land cruiser and the flexibility it offers and the out of the box ruggedness. I also wanted to wheel it and the thought of banging up a new truck just was not something I wanted to do. So I started looking at 80s again with lockers, but after searching and seeing some posts / videos, I started to also include the 100s in my searching. I wanted a modified truck knowing I would be making modifications right from the start. This would be my daily driver and I would sell the Tacoma if it worked out. I had narrowed my search on the Hundy to a 99 or 2000, I wanted the rear locker and did not really want to mess with ATRAC or ACH but wanted something with rear air. I researched about the pros and cons of both models and started looking and looking and looking. Finding a modified 100s in my price range on the east coast was a challenge to say the least.

I soon found my Hundy here on MUD in the classifieds. I contacted the owner and at that time he was not going lower so I waited and a few weeks later we came to a good price and I bought it. The truck came with OME lift , BFG AT 285/75/16, slee diff drop, ARB bumper and WARN winch. All paper work for service and installation. Also an upgraded head unit DVD, and no wood grain interior, Wired for cobra cb radio. . And best of all rear locker. I could not have set this truck up better myself. Only it did have 175k on the od.

Photo0089.jpg

Last edited:
So now I am almost at one year ownership and I have performed some preventative maintenance like the standard flushes and fluid changes and added some stickers

So up until now my main modifications have been adding needed gear, like high flow on board air, and enjoying the 100s platform.

Upgraded wipers front to back to Rain X lats and I could not be happier. I should of done this from day one.

I have never owned a dark color so I was intrigued and I think it looks great but does show pin stripes and scratches like crazy. Maybe , thinking a dune beige would be the calling If I ever got her painted.

So instead of worrying out modifications I have been able to get the needed accessories with some items that you wish you never need but sure enough will someday use them.

[FONT=&quot]MV50 SuperFlow - for on borad air[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Snatch Block and Shackle for recovery - CBI[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Recovery strap[/FONT]
Hitch Shackle - CBI

Midland 75-822 40 Channel Handheld CB

Unplanned Maintenance

Oxygen sensor – replaced, I was driving up to the mountains and CEL came on , I pulled into an auto zone and had them look up the code. The looked on on MUD from my black berry to see if I could continue. After reading I continued on my trip and was able to order a replacement when I got home. It took me a few hours to get to the sensor and I felt like Houdini after it was all done but save some bills by doing this myself.

Coil Pack – P0305 – woke up in the morning and ran out to get some breakfast and CEL come on, I check my scan gauge and sure enough I was seeing P0305. The engine starting running very rough and I was concerned. I made it to breakfast and got it to go then headed back home. Every time I came to a stop it was rough going again. First thought was fuel something… I jump on Mud and looked up the code. Thank goodness I have a 100s because this code in an 80s is really bad news. I found what I was looking for in the FAQ and found that this code means bad coil pack which seems to ve common and an easy fix. I called around trying to find the right part and ended up replacing using Autozone replacement (we will see if it lasts)

Lower control arms by ACC
new front shafts by ACC. now have trail spare

White knuckle Sliders - installed and used.

rear ½ slide and cargo tie down ( with airline track tie downs ) - ARB Roller Floor

Edge Star Portable Frig.

Roof Rack - installed www.gamiviti.com
Future modifications will be a roof rack of some kind. I already have Yakima load bars and these work great for carrying bikes and kayaks but I would like a like basket or something to carry a few chair or gear. I do not really want a full rack. Whatever I go with has to sit below my Yakima bars as I do not want anything higher.

Rear BIO bumper - installed
I would really like to have some kind of rear spare tire carrier but don’t like any of the choices. I have already banged up my spare with some light offroading and cant image trying to put it on the roof. That is just not an option for me period. I may try and have something fabricated instead of buying a bumper.

Slee Second battery Tray - installed
One of the nice things about the 99 year hundy is that that is no ATRC items and no HAC to worry about so fitting a second battery with the Slee second battery tray is easy. With the need for more axillary power and frig

TMAX BAttery management - installed

Elocker front locker - installed Harrop ELocker
Now there has been lots of talk about the 100s weak front diff and especially the 99 year. I have search extensively on mud and the web and really can’t find too many instances specific to 99 model year. However it is apparent that some diffs give out and can cause major damage. This modification will be completed as preventive maintenance and to have a fully locked rig.

UCA - TC - installed. new upper control arms. Wow .. Blue drives way nicer , then the 250k warn out bushings. Hoping these give me better front angle and less ware on CVs

Here is a little action:
Photo0090.jpg

DSC05816.JPG

and one more:
DSC05543.JPG

Last edited:
Rear bumper or not
I would really like to have some kind of rear spare tire carrier but don’t like any of the choices. I have already banged up my spare with some light offroading and cant image trying to put it on the roof. That is just not an option for me period. I may try and have something fabricated instead of buying a bumper.

If all you want is a way to carry a rear tire you could go this route:
Specter Off-Road Land Cruiser Parts - Page 255 Land Cruiser Swing Out Tire Carriers

Although not cheap.

Love your hundy Steve, here are a few pics from the rides we have been on together. You have certainly wheeled it!

DSC03089.jpg

DSC03098.jpg

DSC03100.jpg

DSC03101.jpg

DSC03088.jpg

DSC03087.jpg

Always a pleasure to wheel with a 100. Now get those WK sliders on NOW :D

Thanks Nick, I am looking forward to some more outings with you. Your truck is great and you give us all something to strive for while out wheeling.

DSC05337.JPG

rear cargo slide

Well after trying to figure out if I need drawers with a slide I decided to give it a shot and build one. It turned out ok, I learned in a little in the process .

DSC06301.JPG

It uses adjustable airline track so I can tie things down. These were only around 28 or so $$. They do not make any noise.

DSC06303.JPG

The last thing is to add a latch so the drawer does not slide open when I open the back on a hill. The best thing is I am able to install it in less then 5 mins and it is pretty light weight. I am not sure if it will hold my loaded Frig. I can get on it and slide around and I only weight 100+ pounds. :banana::banana:

stuck in the box.

I cant seem to get a little day light to get these installed.

DSC06298.JPG

they did a great job with the package.

DSC06299.JPG

They are great looking....and beefy....

DSC06300.JPG

are those wk or bior

Lucky you. where you headed. Do you know the lag time once you have ordered the WK's

Lucky you. where you headed. Do you know the lag time once you have ordered the WK's

couple weeks, I think it took me 2 weeks to get mine. Heading into N.GA for a good fun-filled weekend of camping, cooking, and of course...wheeling :D

Get ready for Sheep Wallow Steve, she shall be dirty and well used

Yes these are WK and they took about three weeks because I had mine power coated. Great service from White Knuckle , kept me informed the entire way.

I think I am going to leave work early tomorrow to get these things on.

I loved this car when I owned it.....
miss it...

I am enjoying it. Thanks again Nick for helping get the sliders on !!

Looks great, both of you. Cant wait to add to the club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom