Cruiser99's Triple Diff-lock Indicator Light Mod: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doron has one-upped us all. When he completed his 4.88 re-gear with front ARB locker addtion he designed a way to activate all 3 locker indicator lights on the dash as he locks up. WHAT A SWEET SETUP! He used an 80 OEM switch for control. Now with factory dash lights the thing works/indicates just like a stock 80-series. Congrats Doron!

Check it out on this page:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39219#post39219

103827026-O.jpg

Last edited:
I like lights….now if I could only fix my “D” light. :doh:

Been there 12 months ago, the Oz spec 2003 dash has same holes, although they are marked for VSC TRAC etc. however, they still have the FDL, RDL and 4X4 lens in front of them. The green 4X4 select light is for the 105 series IIRC, the FDL and RDL are RED. I am not using a pressure switch, just the solenoid power. For solenoid to have power, compressor must be on. The pressure switch to activate the lamp is a better setup, if you want to go that far. (Yes Oz cruisers didn't get TRAC until 2004 IIRC)

Well the TRAC/VSC may have actually been in 2006, I can't remember, but in 2003 it was not there in the earlier models, I recall seeing a late 2003 with the DAT sticker on the window (Driver assist technology or something like that) an I think that was the first part of TRAC. (I do not know if this vehicle actually had TRAC though)

There used to be 3 models in OZ, the standard (RFS diesel 105 with front & rear diff lock option), the GXL (RFS diesel or IFS with petrol or turbo diesel) and the Sahara (IFS, leather full packed like you guys have in turbo diesel or petrol). Now they have slipped a VX inbetween the GXL and the Sahara and this vehicle has the TRAC/VSC added. I do not recall VSC/Trac being in the 2004 Sahara but it may have been, I am 99% sure the 2003 didn't have it. (Can't find my 2003 spec sheet at the moment)

Just in case some else from OZ does this mod to a 2003 dash, be careful on how you do it as wiring in these dashes is connected to ECU's and you may or may not short something or backfeed something and cause yourself a lot of grief! EDIT : (I actually drilled out the back of the lamp holder and ran a couple of wires into it directly, then cut off the contact tabs that normally seat onto the PCB so that I have a totally seperate lamp and nothing could back feed or short. This could be done for the earlier dashes as well for those less confident with soldering and connectiong stuff to the PCB)

Last edited:
That is because TRAC is worthless. You guys down under really use your rigs......

You need to learn how to use it my friend. :) There is a learning curve like with anything else. TRAC has saved my skin when 80's were in the ditch. :)

My 98 LX has the rear diff lock indicator. But, as far as I can tell, it does NOT have the front diff lock indicator. :frown:

I can only guess the LC100 and 105 share the same instrument cluster as the 105 had the front locker option. I wonder if the '03+ LX's even have the rear diff lock indicator.

Interesting! I wonder what is actually there.
On my 2003 the CDL is yellow and on the left, next going to the right is a green “4wd select” (which is same as CDL except green and with out the X in the middle) then the red RDL then the red FDL then an air filter blocked lamp. The 2003 dashes have lots of surface mounted LED’s and only 5 lamps that can be accessed.

From the pictures of the front and rear of Dorons dash, you guys may have a lot of possible extras to utilize. You may have a air filter blocked lamp or it could have a rear tire carrier open lamp, his shows the 4WD lamp position with nothing in it as well as something to the left of the FDL with nothing in it, also up on the left top there is another place for a lamp with nothing in it. It is possible that the earlier dashes had all available options worldwide. (Maybe more spare spots on other side)The green circuit board with the CDL/RDL/FDL can be unplugged and remove 2 screws and lift it off and this will give you access to other lamps underneath which may not be used. I think this model dash has lots of possibilities, probably up to 8 lamps along the bottom on each side, some may be used, some not. Also you may find some lamps in some positions which do not illuminate due to that option not being fitted, but the dash has the lamp in it incase the harness or accessory is plugged in. (definitely worth checking)
In the photo of the front of the dash to the left of the CDL light I can see a lamp position marked FUSE (I think). Then there is a spare spot (no bulb in it as mentioned above) then the CDL – RDL – FDL then another with no bulb, then lots more possible positions until you get to the BRAKE over the far right. What do all the spare spots have, are they blank or do they have possible indicators? The same goes for the EDIT: LEFT side.
The 2 pictures are here
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3878&d=1161432228

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3848&d=1161294457

This is what I did to my lamps so they were seperate from the PCB and I didn't back feed anything. You can see the copper contact tip is missing so it doesn't connect to the board and the wires coming out the back. hopefully someone will pull their dash and explore all the lamp symbols.
Lamp1.jpg
Lamp2.jpg

Last edited:
I can only guess the LC100 and 105 share the same instrument cluster as the 105 had the front locker option. I wonder if the '03+ LX's even have the rear diff lock indicator.

I would say no, as my LC 2003 PCB says VSCTRAC, VSCOFF & SLIP in those 3 positions yet the front panel still has the lock symbols, so I expext the LX would not.

Well fortunately I said 99% sure..........I just found my brochure and it said the 2003 Sahara had VSC and TRAC but only in the petrol engine. I had only looked at the Turbo Diesel and don't know anyone with the V8.

Just noticed the 2003 Sahara turbo diesel came out standard with the rear diff lock, where the petrol had the VSC TRAC

100 TD; said:
I do not recall VSC/Trac being in the 2004 Sahara but it may have been, I am 99% sure the 2003 didn't have it. (Can't find my 2003 spec sheet at the moment)

Hi all,

Sorry to dredge up an old post... If you're still on the forum 100TD (or any one who has done this to a series 2, std HZJ105), can you confirm if the second gen HZJ105 dash has the spots to fit the factory holders/globes for the diff lock indicators.

I have just been at the dealer and the parts guy says the later series dash is a one piece unit? I have the relays, can sort the negative earthing and have the factory workshop CD to tap into the factory loom, just concerned that When I start to take things apart I won't be able to fit the globe holders. (would be really great if you could confirm if the Toyota part I'm looking for is:83120-60020... Globe holder/globe).

I have an Oz spec std HZJ105 and can see the indicators on the dash, just hoping I can fit the globes...

Thanks for any help any one can provide,

Ross.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom