Some Thoughts on BOB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
rob.red
A little write up I did about BOB

http://tlcfaq.com/main/2015/06/bob/

[edit]
some folks on expo might have been confused about BOB so I added this to my post over there:

For those that are not familiar with the term BOB it relates to preparing for an emergency or other situation. BOB is the colloquial terminology for Bug Out Bag. Hooky but seems to have made it into the lexicon.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Well written...and oh so true. Must pare down !

John

Nice BOB.

RE BOB
I find that electronics tend to be the heaviest items. When I go out I use a Casio Gzone Commando, it has a very good stand alone GPS and weighs less than a decent single use GPS. It also has flashlight. So in one unit I get a cell phone, GPS and back up flashlight. I just a spare battery that weighs next to nothing so the field battery life is around 48 hrs continuous use. I'm looking for a app that will give me weather alerts and AM/FM radio.

I'm not a prepper, nor do I worry about zombies... But, I always travel, in my 40, with only the company of my dogs. We travel as remotely as we can safely travel.

So, I always carry two backpacks, in my 40, one with extra clothes and extra fuel for my minimalist cook stove, for extended stays.

The other is BOB. BOB's contents are very similar to your's, but slightly more frugal versions.

Rather than a PLB, I have been carrying a SPOT GPS Messenger for several years. I have never experienced a lost signal, even under thick tree canopy at 10k'.

I think anyone who travels remotely should always have everything they can think of available to ensure they are able to bail themselves out of any potential problem.

And anyone who travels alone, should always remember that they are alone and don't take unneeded chances.

Everything is a situation... Always try to plan ahead, to mitigate, as much as possible, the inherrant risks associated with potential situations.

Toward that end, I always carry various forms of personal security... No need to go into detail... Suffice to say... Always be prepared.

BOB is very important... Even more so, when it's the only thing between you and safety.

Thanks for starting this thread... And for listing your BOB stuff!!

No need to be a prepper, fear the zombie apocalypse, or be weird to have a BOB.

Expect the best prepare for the worst is just a good motto to live by.

If you work in an office keep a stout pair of shoes in the trunk in case you need to walk home. A natural or man made EMP event could render your car useless. (EMP= Electro magnetic pulse) There are a number of natural events that could generate a pulse that would disable most of the electronics on the planet. If you can at least get home you will hopefully have the resources you need to get by there. EMP is a bigger threat than most people realize since so much of our infrastructure is dependent on electronics that are not "hardened".

Keeping a few days or weeks worth of food and water in the house is prudent. Our country runs on trucks, if the highways into your area are blocked the stores are 24 hours away from empty shelves.

Keeping a few items in your car such as blankets, water non-pershible food items is a good idea. Where I live any trip could end with you sitting on the highway for several hours, snow storms, wild fires, a jack knifed semi etc. can leave you stuck for hours. A 3# coffee can to pee in and a deck of cards aren't a bad idea either. Really, the coffee can is a very good idea, we got behind an accident in the mid-west and spent several hours in the same spot on I-80.

Some good ideas Rusty. The right shoes in particular. I do keep so "walking shoes" in the car, not attached to the bag perse but available.
Another one I forgot about is a silcock key. This is a tool that you use to open those commercial water spigots you see on the sides of buildings.
https://www.plumbersstock.com/jones-j40-005-4-way-sillcock-key.html?gclid=CPuyhZfCosYCFc0lgQod_5oHtQ

In an urban situation it will give you access to water that would normally be unavailable.

I've been taking some flack over at Expo about the blog post I wrote - specifically that this thing could cost 4 grand. A couple guys seem downright angry about it LOLz. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/144009-What-about-BOB

I've updated the inventory list to include an additional item or two based on suggestions here and there, and I listed what I thought the street prices might be for the gear.

I've been taking some flack over at Expo about the blog post I wrote - specifically that this thing could cost 4 grand. A couple guys seem downright angry about it LOLz.

SHOCKER!!! ExPo members being annoying???? What????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom