HJ45 Restoration Lifetime Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the start of my HJ45 rebuild project.

The plan I have is to get it working first of all. Then later on do a more thorough rebuild. I'm listing out the tasks of my project so I can guess what I'll be doing and when. If there are big tasks I haven't listed please feel free to post some notes and possible costs.

Get it working Project (Goal <1 year):
  • Remove Top = Incomplete ~N/A
  • Brakes = Parts bought ~$300
  • Engine working= Incomplete ~Unknown
  • Cooling = Incomplete ~Unknown
  • Electrical = Incomplete ~$100 (Have harness)

Long Term Rebuild (<3 Years?):
  • Teardown = Incomplete ~Beer+New Tools
  • Engine/Transmission rebuild = Incomplete ~$1000?
  • Axles/Knuckles Rebuild = Incomplete ~$200
  • Suspension = Incomplete ~$1500
  • Steering = Incomplete = ~$300
  • Body Stuff = Incomplete ~$6300
  • Paint = Incomplete ~$Unknown
  • Electrical = Incomplete ~N/A
  • Wheels = Incomplete ~$1500

3_57.jpg

So taking the top off and I have almost every bolt out. They been snapping off for the most part because they're all really rusted. Should the top just come right off because it still feels iron tight. I'm starting to think that a PO glued it on... At what point does taking all the bolts out make the top feel loose?

Nice 45 you've got there. Mine is a lifetime project as well! Going to build it out exactly how I like over the next few years and then dismantle and do a nut and bolt resto from the ground up.

Not sure on the top removal but I would guess the seal will give you a run for your money. Mine looks like a thin bead of tar so I'm not looking forward to taking it off.

Anyhow, looking forward to your progress!

Got the top off. To prevent me from dying, I chose to take it apart in sections. When removing the fiberglass top almost every bolt broke. There were a few which were different sizes than 10mm which was frustrating. Stainless bolts will be used at a later date. Some had to be cut in half with a sawzall because they had no head left and I didn't want to torch/weld a few inches from the glass.

For the side panels it was similar where most broke or slowly came out. Cut a few... Random sizes on some...

I have received my iron supplements from all the rust that went in my mouth. It's rewarding because I think this is the coolest convertible I've seen.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399045413.457122.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399045431.407588.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Rust doesn't look to bad from the pictures. Have fun and be patient. Been working on my 40 for almost 7 years now but will be on the road this summmer. They are so much fun to drive. Enjoy the journey.

This is kind of a weird update... I haven't been able to get the 45 into my garage yet. To get it in I have to move the old fj40 out. Getting everything out is easy, it's the going in part that will be the challenge. I have a sloped driveway that leads into my garage with a gate at the end of the driveway.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399472935.122053.jpg

After 3 of us grown men tried to push the 45 up the driveway we made it just far enough to get the wheels in the fence. You may say get even more people but I didn't want to make a block party out of it.

So again with my regular person doing mechanical stuff challenges, it's even a challenge to get the vehicle into the garage.

Since this pushing thing isn't working i decided to come up with some type of a tow in system.The plan here is to install an anchor to attach a come along or winch to crank the vehicle in. I consulted with my dad who is a retired engineer about an anchoring system. After my choices of anchoring to the rafters, cinder lock walls or the ground; my choice is the cement slab.

So after a few hours of drilling holes I was able to finally get a few hooks installed. I have a dinky hammer drill and it takes a batter or two per hole. I spend 1.5 hours on a hole that never moved because or rebar or something. I ended up doing new holes because the bit was walking around so much.

Anywho here is my hooks
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399473435.713923.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399473446.448167.jpg

If the weather gets better i will start prepping each vehicle to move out then try to move the 45 in the garage. The 40 shouldn't be too bad to move back in the driveway. If this is my last post it means the anchors failed and I'm stuck under the big 45 and need beer.

...via IH8MUD app

I would be chocking the tyres as the truck is dragged up your driveway into the garage. Nice troopy looking forward to the rebuild.

Today may be the day to do the move. I'll be chocking btw just incase stuff happens.

...via IH8MUD app

So all the disc brake parts I've bought so far are no good. :(

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1400174316.547233.jpg

What'll it cost me to do an upgrade to front and rear disc brakes? I've seen kits on eBay for $1000 for both axles. Anyone got a cheaper source for all the goodies?

...via IH8MUD app

Is there a trick to getting the drums off?

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1400181879.578498.jpg

Fsm says there is a screw, I see 4 holes but no retaining screw. The drum spins pretty easily on this side.

...via IH8MUD app

Is there a trick to getting the drums off?
Fsm says there is a screw, I see 4 holes but no retaining screw. The drum spins pretty easily on this side.
...via IH8MUD app

Your screw must be missing. (A lot of people discard them because they're not strictly necessary.)

The trick to getting a drum off is to evenly lift it off by gradually screwing bolts in those opposite-placed threaded holes:
Here's your missing screw:
WheelLHFl.jpg

And here are screws/bolts being used to gradually work one of my drums off:
WheelLHFm.jpg

:beer:

Lostmarbles. Thank you for the tip. This was by far pretty easy to get off with the bolt trick.

I was having an issue with getting the hub body to come off. I watched a bunch of videos, read the fsm, and missed details about the cone washers. I found a good video finally at , which gave a good overview of all the steps.

Now I'm down to the spindle which is as far as I want to go right now. I've encountered a lot of issues on my way down like a broken brake line, seized cylinder, broken studs, "54mm nut unscrewed with screwdriver trick" is trashed, drums are probably bad, and other things I'm sure. Once I debunk all the parts I'll find more. I'm going to wire brush and try to clean up as much as I can then maybe hit the drum and backplate with some primer or something.

Having a hard time deciding on what to do for brakes... I have seen the kits that you bolt on and use Chevy calipers and rotors but it seems kind of weird to use American parts on a Toyota.

My other option is to get knuckles spindles and stuff from a newer cruiser. This would be harder for me to do. Does anyone have a link to this type of conversion or can share any info?

And can anyone identify my axles? They are rhd
Front

What do you mean by "identify"?

Don't you think they're original for your HJ45?

Need some advice here...

I may have found a "kit" to change to disc brakes with fj60 knuckles so I can upgrade vs the bracket kits. The kit comes with knuckle housing, birfs, spindles, steering arms, back plates, rotors, calipers, hubs.

Can anyone give some advice or fit issues with going from a fj60 to hj45 rhd for these parts?

Hi Daito

Glad to see you having fun with the HJ45,these axles are the same as the ones used under the European BJ's with the bigger front drums (wider then the US ones)

You should be able to swap either mini truck,76 up FJ40 or FJ60/62 discs if you use all the parts except ofcourse the axle housing,third and drive shafts(although if the one you buy comes with longer/shorter freewheel hubs you might want to swap the birfs also.If you use the 60 parts you also will need different tie rods,but plan on change those regardless

Just look around and be patient,I just scored a set from a fellow Mudder for 150$,complete minus one caliper ;)

Unfortunatly I need this set for my BJ43.

If you still have my phone number give me a call if you find something but are not sure

Joe

Hi joe and everyone. I'm learning a lot about axles and everything really. I'm having a lot of fun except the waiting period when I'm waiting for parts...

I heard that I may only need a few parts to get disc brakes to work. I heard the birfs and arms may already be the same as the 60 series. I'd just need to upgrade the spindles and stuff. If so that is great, less parts to buy and ship! I'm going to pull them out and count the splines to figure which ones I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom