Denso Internal Voltage Regulator Alternator Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
Denso Internal Voltage Regulator Alternator Conversion Questions

Ok, I've read the tech, and the GM threads, and just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly when replacing the external VR alternator with an internal VR Denso....

So, 1983 (Build date 9/83) Australian spec. FJ45 Troopy. 2F motor w/non-electronic ignition (points, coil, external ballast resistor coil).

External Voltage Regulator p/n 27700-15011. It appears that both the OZ spec. and US spec. 40 series use the same VR, from the EPC and US spec wiring diagram.

394957863_rBUqQ-M.jpg

This year's VR has six wires:

394922732_X6sVV-M.jpg

From a 1982 US spec. wiring diagram, which shows both an internal VR alternator, and an external VR alternator, using the same VR:

From left to right: White/Black to E terminal on original alternator, White/Red to ?, Yellow to L terminal on original, Internal, US spec alternator, White/Blue to N terminal on original alternator, White to ?; and White/Green to F terminal on original alternator.

The old alternator hookups look like this:

394922748_29UKa-M.jpg

394922781_UuR9R-M.jpg

The new alternator hookups look like this:

394922767_9AiQQ-M.jpg

394922793_HuxaS-M.jpg

From what I can figure out....I will need to attach three wires to the new alternator:

The Yellow wire would go to the L terminal.

The White/Blue wire goes to the B terminal.

The ? wire goes to the G terminal. (Looks like it goes to ground on the diagram.)

And...should I run by Radio Shack on the way home and pick up a diode to prevent voltage drain? If so...which diode and where will it go?

Can anyone point this electrical village idiot in the right direction?

-H- :hmm:

Last edited:
G is really IG for "ignition" and the fused black/yellow stripe wire that is powered when the ignition switch is on and is fused through the engine fuse connects here. It energizes the alternator. I'm not sure about the L terminal because it isn't completely shown in the chematic shown, but I would guess that it runs the charge indicator light in the dash.

He had help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom