80 vs. 100 series TCases - Flat towing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unless I'm mistaken the T case changed in 93 (?) in the 100 series. Believe that is when a Torsen started being used. If that changes anything I don't have a clue.

Can't speak for all 80 and 100 but all the 80 and 100 that I have seen has "N" on their shifter knob.

I think they do, just being a dumb arse/

There is no 100 series in 93.

Opps your right I meant 2003 that's when it started in the 4Runners. Believe Toyota is using the Torsen in all their 4X4 SUVs with a frame now. Still in the Land Cruiser. Believe my 2010 Sequoia has it and know my 04 4Runner does.

So I got to looking last night at the FSM to better understand the TC's in the 80's at least. The yellow highlight shows the input shaft path from the transmission. You can see that it drives the idler gear which in conjunction with the center differential assembly are moved by the shift fork (red circle) to engage H, N or L range. The idler shaft is also what connects to the oil pump that resides in the rear extension housing. With the TC in N, and the engine off, that idler gear set is not being driven, but the center differential and of course the viscous coupler is being driven by the prop shafts.

Without seeing one of these apart, and where the oil passages go, I'm guessing that the separator in the second image is almost like an open oil pan to keep the VC in an bath to aid in cooling when the front and rear shafts are rotating at different speeds.

Capture.JPG

Capture_rear.JPG

80 and 100 t-case the same. They both have oil pumps systems that pump anytime the vehicle moves making both 80's and 100's safe to tow. In other words the same thing happens inside the tcase being driven or towed just less stress when towed due to being in net. I have a part time kit for a 100 series sitting in front of me and its exactly like an 80 series along with the instruction noting the same for both models by the manufacture.

While I hate to contradict the LCP (Land Cruiser equivalent of "The Dude") that pump is only driven when the transmission output or TC input shaft is turning. If you leave the TC in H or L, then yes, the pump would be driven but the tranny would not be happy. In neutral, it would be idle.

Unless I'm missing something, which I'm pretty sure I'm not, so the Dude must Abide.

And for those that don't get the reference, watch The Big Lebowski. :grinpimp:

The pump is driven when the rear drive shaft turns. The rear drive is on the right (big gear) the pump drive is in the center. When assembling the t case you turn the rear shaft flange to line up the pump drive.

1tight-fit-jpg.667704

Well, I stand corrected then good sir!

So, there is absolutely no reason that you can't flat tow these puppies other than the fact they are a bit on the portly side for a TOAD.

LCP, was that TC used throughout the 100 series production run, or did it change after '03 when the 5 speed went in? And what exactly is the pump feeding? Is the oil going to bearings or is it cooling the VC?

Well, I stand corrected then good sir!

So, there is absolutely no reason that you can't flat tow these puppies other than the fact they are a bit on the portly side for a TOAD.

LCP, was that TC used throughout the 100 series production run, or did it change after '03 when the 5 speed went in? And what exactly is the pump feeding? Is the oil going to bearings or is it cooling the VC?

I tired to post an oiling drawing but I cant figure out how to post out of a PDF. Its a work of art, pump feeds the center of the main shaft and is distributed out of oil galleys similar to the an engine supplies oil. Disassembling the the tcase gives you a good understand on how well it is designed and advanced it is. Most cases I have an old style sling system making low oil levels critical not Toyota as long as some gets to the pump you are good.

My '06 uses the same spool as an 80 series for the part time kit. Everything I have seen makes me believe its the same. I will soon be tearing into my '06 to finalize the part time kit and if I see anything new I will post up.

The VC is only used in a few years it can be removed and work without it is my understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom