July Event: Sherando Lake Area, VA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GarnerFJ40

2020-2022 ONSC President
Threads
All,

July's event is the weekend of July 16-18. Located in Sherando Lake near Lyndhurst, VA. It's about a 4 hour drive from the Triangle area, and we'll be doing some exploratory driving on some Forest Service roads and trails, that some of our members know about, and have been on in the past.
I have not secured a group campsite, as I need to know who is 110% dedicated in going. I don't want a repeat of our last Uwharrie trip where I went from thinking we might need two group campsites to having 3 rigs camp on Saturday night.
I'll have Joe post it on the website for registration, and we'll place a little more info on there as it comes up.

I am a definite for this one, camping Fri and Sat evenings.

Don't think i'm going to have the time or $$$ for this one. Sadly i'm out.

Looks like about 4 1/2 hours from Charlotte. Sounds like it is going to be a fun trip, I reallly want to go to this one...but will have to wait and see.

Sounds like a good trip for the Weller's to take the 80 on!!

So far, I think we are in - will need to check the schedule with the :princess:

:beer: R

I'd love to make this one, but the wife and I have a beach house booked from July 11th-18th in Nags Head with some college buddies. Have fun!

I let you now as the day come close. I think is a go

If I am not on duty that weekend, I'll be all over it. The wife is on call at the hospital all that weekend, so I'd actually get to camp:grinpimp:

I'll know for sure mid next week for sure;)

OK, I'll have some more info this weekend. Seems the closest Group campground is full, but there are other single campsite setups (like Arrowhead at URE). I usually book my campsites through recreation.gov, and I'll let everyone know the campsite name, location and #'s when I book.

I'd like to know who's for taking Friday off, and who's leaving after work? And, if anybody's just going to roll on in Saturday...

Joe's familiar with the area, so I'll discuss with him for destinations and other activities.

I can leave any time Friday, already have the day off.

I suggest we make the climb (on foot) up Crabtree Falls Sunday after packing up, it's an awesome place. If it's hot, there's an ice cream stand on Rt 29 a few minutes away on our way home. :) That gives us Friday and Saturday to ride/explore.

Sounds like a plan Joe! I'm up for leaving on Friday also. Natural Bridge is the same general area, and I wouldn't mind seeing that also. Unless it's not worth it from those that have seen it.....

What trails are you guys thinking about?
I think the Stoney Run is right there but it is pretty mild from what I can tell.
Crozet is right there but that is a private/member/invite type thing.
Supposed to go there this weekend for a non-member event.

Dave

any update on the campsite details?

Last edited:
i'm in, booked c-13

Eric are you taking your trailer? It'd be nice if we were all in the same general area.

i know, i debated on that for some time. :princess: wanted access to electricity.
the family is coming and i am bringing the trailer. should get there thursday. we will being hanging out with you all and getting on your nerve don't worry. :)

Yeah, that was the only problem with this campsite, that the tents and the pop-ups couldn't mingle!

But, it's got showers and bathrooms and the lake. Joe, you'll have to show us the ropes...

Um, don't put too much stock in me leading the group! I know of one good trail that has many offshoots we can explore; I do know of a few more across the valley west of Harrisonburg. Scott said there's trails everywhere around Sherando and judging by our one trip there it appeared he wasn't kidding. I hope you're all ok w/ scouting and exploring..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom