'77 HJ45 conversion to (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi, im james,
i was trying to sell this HJ45, but now am doing a 2H conversion
atm i only have a recond 2H, bell housing, transfer, tailshafts, front and rear diffs with disc setup inc calipers, clutch is missing, as is disc brake master cylinder. i dont know if it has the steering components, p/s (im picking it up next weekend).

my H motor is kerfxxxied, blows copious amounts of smoke, prewarmer is non existent, and that turn over takes for ever.
leaks oil from block, and the tray needs to be cut from chassis and re-aligned, as its an inch to the right , right side is an inch closer to the cab, and its not level 8\. tray is not much really. hence why im doin the motor swap o_O

now id love to do the 2H with a 5 speed and i know that means rear cross member mount etc. with this motor id love the disc brake conversion to, I DO NOT have a 5 speed :(, oh does anyone know if the 4 speed box to transfer changes when its 5 speed box to transfer? as in, do i have to get a new transfer to match the 5 speed box?

other than that, ill post photos of the car before , during and after, and of the gear.
at first ill be just dropping the motor in as is - hopefully, and then ill get round to the rest, prolly after i find a 5spd :)

5 speeds require a newer t case as the bearing configuration is different than the early four speed t-case

This article explains the differences as far as tcase compatability The Wagon Way

Does the early four speed act as the rear engine mount on your rig. I would think you could still use the same crossmember but do some modifying to clear the front driveshaft. When I put the H55 in my BJ 60 it uses the same crossmember. But I don't have any esperience with 45's, You may want to post this on the 40 forum as well

Tony

Installed a nice small stereo, for my 3 hour drive down south to pickup motor and gear on sunday :) and then 3 hours back ... I just hope my car makes the trip ... I wont be driving it after this except to my mates to do engine swap. Itll stay there a while as we've decided to also do a whole new rewire job as well

ok wow, total recap on the rebuild plan.
that was my dodgiest drive ever ( 750 km round trip ) !! 4 hours there and 4 1/2 hours back,
60 kms up hill, my tow bar 10cm from the ground, the tyres rub on the tray when you take a curve more than 15 degrees, and 160 kms from home, the exhaust snapped off at the manifold, hahaha talk about getting noticed by other ppl.
side note. for pre-warming, mine doesnt work well, if at all. run a heavy duty wire from pos battery terminal to the dash with a off- hold on switch, then back to a relay to the rear glow plug, and it'll work fine!! takes like 3-5 seconds when cold !!! taking out all that crap ( mine has like 3 solenoids/relays)
going to clean and service the motor, drop it in, rewire the whole thing and once that is complete ( weekend job - we work slow and with lots of beer ) work out what i can use and what i need to get for the 5 speed, transfer. to the tails and diffs. plus need to get a brake master cylinder for dics conversion too.... thats it !! wont happen for a while ( upto two months ) but ill take some photos and post them up soon too !

im also going to get a flat sheet of metal, made to suit the raised dash area, as the holes on the dash arent lined up square and it annoys me. also thinking about putting in bucket seats. any ideas on how to keep the 3 seater though? can i just make a seat for the middle? also, is there somewhere you can get dashes made to suit, as i want a new dash, with tacho and speedo,

some pics

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

i have now taken off the bullbar and sidebar, left the tojo namesake bumper on though, taken out radiator, sending it off to COR engineering tomorrow (through work), going to get a quote and feedback on it, see if its worth doing or get a new one .. ill take some photos right now of the car , let you guys see how it is :)

okay, radiator - 2 types in a hj45, 490 wide and 530 wide, i have a 490 ( damn, they are more exspensive..) all a 4 row :D
i can get a 530 brand new for $375, inc 8D, sooo im getting that, going to have to modify the bracket surround, possibly the fan shroud and drill some holes and cut those annoying in the way support rods, and a bit of welding, which is trouble ... i DONT have a welder :'( im really going to have to do something about that.. aaaand then get these bloody axles off the back of my ute ... :( no lifting equip, no one to help :(, so i can get AT the 2H engine. ill take photos of the mods as i go for the radiator.
also, anyone thats done this before, id loooove any input/ ideas / advice.
cheers, james

looks like an interesting trip and loaded down!!!! The old girl got you there and back!!! She is gonna love the recondition!!!

Good Job

Sorry no advice on the swap

lol, yeah juuuust ;), she started using a bit of oil when i got to the hills, and when the exhaust snapped, the temp stayed hot ( oil ) but she made it, so no complaints, and one hell of a drive to remember !!
yes, it'll be great once conversion done, then i just gotta get the running gear done.. i might need a kick in the ass for that part :)

well i got the new radiator in and attached to the H motor, running, and got it to my mates place, and last night started taking all the wires and hoses off the motor etc, took out the radiator and the front grill down to make life easy. ive got pics but ill load them all in one go. the motor comes out tonight and hopefully the recond in and running - enough to get it home anyway.

well... the H and 2H are different, waaayyy different, jjust quickly the 4 speed box differs too, and transfer as well.
the 2h motor is 5 cm longer than the H. due to the water housing and fan output distance, also if you have p/s it sticks out a bit more the mounts are basically identical, H is a bolt in on top, 2H is bolts out of mounts. the mounts off the car.. well my H has a slot for location, the 2h didnt, i ended up using the H mounts and grinding off the locator
oh, engine is in on mounts but have to modify / extend the cross member under g/box and bolt it into the chassis.
grrrr not happy, cant use H a/c bracket on 2h :mad:
had to cut the floor pan tunnel as the gearstick is at the rear part of newer 2h gbox as where my older H 4spd is at front. grinder & cutting disc 8D

interesting fact, 1 inch weld is 1 tonne of weight
getting a few new bolts, for manifold and mounts, thermostat, and where ever else i can get to :/
getting some 8 mm plate for rear cross member bracket modification.
ehaust manifold and thermo gaskets with goop and copper sealants, messy ;p. ordering today ( now ) through work
got to get all new hosing and rubber hosing - heater , fuel etc satuday or sunday job once car is back at mine.
photos are coming, theres a few more i need to take to be update for you guys and then ill upload them hopefull this arvo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom