Engel MT45(classic) vs. new MR040(plastic) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please help me decided which Engel to get.:confused:
classic Engel MT45: made of metal outside, 3qt. bigger, it has removable basket, lid opens one way.
MT45
vs.
New
Engel MR040: plastic (will not rust), only 40qt., no basket, lid opens from to sides, unproven, cheaper by +/- $50.
MR040

I have never have a portable cooler, i will be using it mostly on my 2005 venezuelan built 2005 80series and very rarely on boats. Question is how useful is the basket? i have read that it gives a small air space beatwin cooler and content, and that gives a more even distribution on temperature? how true is that. Also i hope they didn't cheap out on the new cooler to make it cheaper/fragil, that is why i have cross out the Waeco Coolmatic CF-50 with the lids breaking.

so the real question is if i go with the smaller plastic model would i miss the basket? and would i miss the 3qt. space?

Any advice for a portable cooler virgin would be gladly apreciate.
ps: what is the best place to get one online in the usa.

Last edited:
Yes, you will miss the basket. It's one of the things I like the best about the 45qt. model. Load up the basket and drop it in. I have mine semi-permanently mounted on a slide & drawer. Loading everything individually would be a PITA. I also bought a set of mini-baskets (don't remember the site offhand) that drop in the top of the basket so you can store two layers worth of stuff easily. I love the setup.

As for rust, that's not an issue unless you plan to have it submerged in salt water for an extended period. :)

I bought mine from Compact Appliance earlier this year when they were doing a 10% off coupon. It was $636 shipped which was the best price I found at the time. They don't seem to have them in stock on their site any more let alone the coupon.

I`d go with the MT-45 .

IMO, the steel skinned models look and "feel" of a higher quality than the plasti models. I guess if rust and weight were major issues, maybe the plastic model would have a slight advantage (however minimal).

As far as the basket goes.. I`ve heard the same thing ( more even cooling around the food) and, as mentioned the added bonus of the basket is that you can insert/remove all of your food products in and out of the cooler at one time.

You dont have to carry the (loaded) cooler to your vehicle, just the food basket while your cooler has been chillin for a few hours in your rig. You can also see everything that is in the cooler by simply lifting the basket out a bit.

Either way, you can`t lose with an Engel product... I friggin LOVE my MT-60 :cheers:

Last edited:
There's a thread on Portal comparing the two.

I personally have the Waeco CF-50, like it and would buy another. The basket is very handy and I wouldn't have it any other way. Works great if your milk carton blows up in the fridge. You can pull everything out at once and clean the spill.

I heard from someone who actually had one of the new MR040 units that the hardware (hinges, clasps, etc.) is not high quality particularly compared to the MT45. It appeared as though it would not be durable in the long run. Sounds like if Engel doesn't want a bunch of them returned they better go back to the drawing board and add some lacking quality back.

Ditto hoser's comments on my Waeco CF50. I only have two nits with my CF50: I wish the insulating cover was made from a tougher material like cordura and a little higher quality stitching; but having said that the cover has endured my abuse pretty well! And the other nit, which is the same nit I have with all fridge/freeze brands/models I am aware of: It would be nice if they had a small LCD/LED remote that you could easily mount in the dash/console area to be able to monitor power on/off (and temp would be nice too).

Hoser has installed a nice custom temp guage that takes care of that issue...but it'd be nice if they offered it as an option and included an LED indicating power on or off.

Short list of "nits"...

Last edited:
If one buys the new CF-50, it has a thermometer display where you can "set it and forget it." This along with a switched power button in the cabin would be ideal.

As far as the insulating cover, I don't even use one as it has a plastic casing. In Overland Journal, the Waeco was rated very well in terms of insulation.

I heard from someone who actually had one of the new MR040 units that the hardware (hinges, clasps, etc.) is not high quality particularly compared to the MT45. It appeared as though it would not be durable in the long run. Sounds like if Engel doesn't want a bunch of them returned they better go back to the drawing board and add some lacking quality back.

Ditto comments on my Waeco CF50. I only have two nits with my CF50: I wish the insulating cover was made from a tougher material like cordura and a little higher quality stitching; but having said that the cover has endured my abuse pretty well! And the other nit, which is the same nit I have with all fridge/freeze brands/models I am aware of: It would be nice if they had a small LCD/LED remote that you could easily mount in the dash/console area to be able to monitor power on/off (and temp would be nice too).

Hoser has installed a nice custom temp guage that takes care of that issue...but it'd be nice if they offered it as an option and included an LED indicating power on or off.

Short list of "nits"...
Yeah hauling stuff from Trader Joe's home puts a lot of wear and tear on your fridge cover. :grinpimp:

I swear if any outdoor equipment manufacturer wanted a "use it til it breaks" test bed it would be your kit. You virtually live out of your AT.

You should capitalize on that. :)

I'll offer a dissenting opinion fwiw...

I'm familiar with the MT45, my friend has had his running continuously for about 4 years now. They are great, cant actually knock it in anyway......

However when I saw the way they had changed the lid on MTR40, I was sold, just made more sense and I wouldn't have to deal with the kit a fellow mudder has put together to change the MT45 to a side opening lid (as ingenious as his modification is)

Granted it wasn't a huge savings, but when I have to tack on another $100+ for shipping.. every penny counts (Thanks Exp Exchange for your excellent shipping service:D...)... I bought one mid-June.

I like the basket concept in the MT45, although I always noticed with my friends that it was not exactly beer bottle friendly, kinda a uneven surface..

I do wish it came with the blue mat, afaik, this can be used to put on top of goods to add some insulation... Like newspaper on the top of a tightly packed cooler...

Back to the MTR40...

Pro's imo:

1) The plastic is higher quality than I expected... Correction: Its more like 1/8 thick where the holes are for the compressor to vent, but the vented portion appears to be thinner than the main body... There is a little flex in the plastic around the vents (to be expected imo).. The rest of the body does not flex. It reminds me of the type of heavier grade plastic used as bumpers on some cars/trucks... Quite solid. And the big rubber bumpers on the edges are a nice touch... You would have to hit this thing pretty hard to break the plastic shell, hard enough that you would damage a metal one as well imo. Except for mabey a latch, I could see them shattering if hit hard enough...

2) Plastic is going to be a better insulator than metal..

3) The reversible lid is a nice touch..

Con's:

1) While the hinge/latch points are well done (threaded metal inserts), metal hinge... I can see the latch possibly wearing out over the long term, just from the long term stress of clamping down a plastic part.... Its nothing special, just a hinged plastic latch. Hoping Engle offers affordable spares, and I may even go ahead a pick up a set if they do..

2) No basket, no pad... I've no doubt, the basket helps with better circulation... and ease of loading/unloading..

I was just out fishing for a week out of my cruiser, my first trip with the fridge.. My solution to the lack of basket/pad.

I found two little hard plastic 5'W x 10"L x 5"H baskets at Wal-mart among all the plastic storage totes... They are stackable, and have holes all over... They take up about 1/3 of the fridge (the long way), and are few inches below the top edge... (I'll try to get a picture when I have a chance if you're interested)....

So I used this for foods stuff, kinda kept stuff orginized as it was confined to the baskets, I could pull the top basket and quickly get to the stuff in the bottom basket... etc... The rest of the space was still easily enough room for water bottles, beer, sodas, for two people for a week.. I didn't even have it "full"

And like I said, I liked the concept of the blue mat.. I found a flexible "ice pack" that are little 1.5 inch x 1.5 squares in a big flat mat, almost the perfect footprint for the interior dimensions of the fridge... The squares are filled with the typical reusable ice pack stuff... but the seams between the squares make it flexible.. Froze it the night before we left, and used it as a top layer in the fridge.... AND it was the perfect ice pack at the end of each day to help alleviate aches and pains in my shoulder after rowing all day...:D

So if the dimensions, or the small cost savings are for you, imo there is not a significant difference in the "quality" of the product overall.. it has its difference, but I personally dont' think you could go wrong with either, just depends on which aspects are more important to ya..

:cheers:

Last edited:
I`d go with the MT-45 .

X2. I like the basket in the Engle/Arb MT-45 fridge.

great post guys i am about to pull trigger on the mt45 its a little bigger:D are the transit bag useful? what are your opinions on the slide lok vs slide tray? do i have to drill the sheet metal of my slightly used 2005 80 series to fix them in the trunk?
i think i will buy it at Engel MT45 Fridge/Freezer
other vendors that have good price
Engel : 12 Volt Refrigerator : 12 Volt Freezer : Engel ACDC Fridge Freezers
and
https://www.expeditionexchange.com/engel/

thanks all for the help on my indecision :doh:

Of those three vendors, I'd buy it from Sierra Expeditions. They have a very good reputation on Exped Portal... and they are also contributors.

If you are going to keep the door opening in the standard configuration, I'd opt for the hinge lock. It gets annoying to have to re-attach the lid every other time.

i order the mt45 from sierra expeditions along with a transit bag and slide tray:clap: thanks for all th wonderful advice:bounce:

Basket is a needed item indeed.
I just got back from vacation, and it is so much easier to load/unload the food on my kitchen counter into/out of the basket, then carry it to the rig and place in the fridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom