Crown King Run 10/16/10 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to head to Crown King Trail Saturday morning. Its been a long time since I hit a decent trail and want to put the new Runner to somewhat of a test before approaching something more challenging. As of right now, its a couple of buddies and myself. The two other trucks coming aren't too experienced, but are aware of the consequences if they're not careful and/or paying attention. I figured I would see if anyone else was interested in heading out there. If anyone is interested, send me a PM or email (Anthony.Parisi@Bannerhealth.com). Right now im looking to meet at Crazy Horse (or Wild Horse...cant remember the name) right before Carefree on Lake Pleasant Rd. Time...trying to have everyone together no later than 9 am.

Thanks!

id change your meet up place to where we usually meet, the Chevron station just east of the I-17 on Carefree Hwy. Lets everyone top off their tanks, grab some ice or whatever. Its a common place for the CSC to meet when we do the run.

I ran CK this past weekend and it had been a couple years since I had done the trail. It has changed significantly. I think it is more difficult than years past. I remember about 6 years ago I ran it in my stock 4runner on 32s, no lockers and made it without too much issue. Now days that would be a stretch.

Still a great trail, just with some more challenge added.

Would love to make the run, but my Cruiser isn't ready for that.

I still need new rubber and to redo the suspension that the PO did half-way. But, if you guys meet up at the chevron, I might come down and say hi. I live right there.

Regardless, have a fun ride !!

I'm game! Haven't run it since March.
X2 on meeting at the Chevron station, as it's a pretty handy place to get any last minute items before you head out.

Plus, if anyone needs a last minute pit stop, you can use my garage !!

Could someone bring me a CSC sign up form to said Chevron ??

id change your meet up place to where we usually meet, the Chevron station just east of the I-17 on Carefree Hwy. Lets everyone top off their tanks, grab some ice or whatever. Its a common place for the CSC to meet when we do the run.

I wouldnt have suggested that, its just quite a distance out of the way from me (91st and Union Hills). Would anyone be interested in meeting at the Campbells's gas station/mart on Happy Valley and 91st ave, or even the Circle K on 99th and Happy Valley?

I ran CK this past weekend and it had been a couple years since I had done the trail. It has changed significantly. I think it is more difficult than years past. I remember about 6 years ago I ran it in my stock 4runner on 32s, no lockers and made it without too much issue. Now days that would be a stretch.

Still a great trail, just with some more challenge added.

Thanks for the heads up.

Would love to make the run, but my Cruiser isn't ready for that.

I still need new rubber and to redo the suspension that the PO did half-way. But, if you guys meet up at the chevron, I might come down and say hi. I live right there.

Regardless, have a fun ride !!

Thanks man!

Plus, if anyone needs a last minute pit stop, you can use my garage !!

Much appreciated.

I would like to go. I have no lockers, stock height BGF all-terrains, slee sliders, and an ARB front bumper... Watcha think? :hmm:

You should be fine.

OK, I'm in... :clap:

Stock FJ Cruiser made it without any issues.
2770552151_3da8767cb0.jpg
CKINGAug162008076.jpg
CKINGAug162008100.jpg

Well it looks like my buddies and I are camping at Pleasant Friday night and heading out in the morning. What time would you guys like to meet?

OK, I'm a little frightened by Oro Belle, but I'm still going! :steer:

There are a few spots in the Oro Belle area that are pretty challenging for stock, unlocked rigs. A couple of them have the potential for body damage if they start sliding/bouncing around. The best bet is to alternate setup rig, stock, repeat. Have the setup rig wait at the top of the obstacle. Make an attempt with the stocker, if it doesn't go take the strap. Much better to hang on the strap for a few feet than to have a dented door or broken rig?:hillbilly:

When were those pix taken? The first one appears to be near/at the top, this area from Oro Belle up is now graded. Most obstacles have by passes, the exception is the area around Oro Belle. This climb will require careful line selection for the stock/unlocked rigs.

Pix from the run last month are here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/411530-9-5-sunday-wheeling.html

attachment.php

attachment.php

It was back in Dec 2008. I bashed up my "bling" plate pretty bad but if I didn't have it, I would of cleared with no problems. I did hit my rear lower control arm links but nothing damaging to the vehicle.
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg

So what time does this run usually wrap up? I work sat nights but would love to make it....

So what time does this run usually wrap up? I work sat nights but would love to make it....

No matter how you slice it, it is a long trail. It depends on the group, last time we didn't make Crown King till ~3:30. "Lunch" at the Mill, fudge from the store, mandatory BSing, then the ~25mi dirt road back to the highway, sun was going down during the air up BSing session. Other times we have made town by noonish. It is a tough trail to rush with a group, there is always the chance of trouble. For me enjoying the town, a Philly Cheese samich at the mill, etc, is mandatory, so all day.:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom