Bumper idea...critiques? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
zot-art.com
I'm working on a new pair of bumpers for my FJ40. Here's what I'm thinking on the rear so far. I want to keep the original tail lights there and protected. Keep it tucked up. Use the bumperette mtg holes. I may tie the end of the receiver to the middle of the frame. I'm wondering if the rear frame member is up to the stress of a hard pull. Particularly since there would be a cantilever load on it.

Comments?

tub_frame_bumper.jpg

Last edited:
i like it . u know what i would do thought that might look cool also is get some small solid round stock and weld like two small cages to go over the lights also. nothing like a complete cage but just a solid hard bruch guard. maybe not your thing but i think it would look really good with those angles and help make the bumper look like it was made for the cruiser and not just attached to the original bumper.

mike

lx450landcruiser said:
i like it . u know what i would do thought that might look cool also is get some small solid round stock and weld like two small cages to go over the lights also. nothing like a complete cage but just a solid hard bruch guard. maybe not your thing but i think it would look really good with those angles and help make the bumper look like it was made for the cruiser and not just attached to the original bumper.

mike

I've been considering some kind of additional protection for the lenses. I'm hoping the bumper will be enough though. My current bumper has done a fine job keeping the tail lights intact on the boulder fields for a long time. But it hangs low and is pretty beat up. The new one should be tucked in pretty tight and do an even better job protecting the lights. I like the idea of a "brush guard" type of thing. I'd have to get some help with the bending stuff though, I'm not equipped too good for that. Other than my vise, pipe and hammer bending methods.

You may also want to make attachments to the center 4 pintle holes on the frame cross member to increase strength at the receiver. I personally like pintle hooks in the rear vs. receivers, but that's neither here nor there. Any way you want to move the centerline of the bumper up further and `wrap the lights in some fashion to what lx450 was saying?

3fj40 said:
You may also want to make attachments to the center 4 pintle holes on the frame cross member to increase strength at the receiver. I personally like pintle hooks in the rear vs. receivers, but that's neither here nor there. Any way you want to move the centerline of the bumper up further and `wrap the lights in some fashion to what lx450 was saying?

Exactly what I was pondering as far as attaching the receiver tube to something else. A pintle is fine but I really don't expect to be towing much. The reciever is a added feature in case I need it. I also plan to add a pair of D-ring clevis mounts on the sides. But I want the reciver to be as strong as possible.

So your saying it looks to low and will cause to much bending stress on the rear frame member? That's my worry. Moving it up would tend to make the tail lights visibility a problem. Could cut windows to be seen from behind but any angle from there would make them disappear. I'd probably need a taller section of tube for the main piece too.

Or I could just give up on stock lights and mount some in the new bumper.

What to do, what to do?

well i could just make windows and used the same lights only mouunt then to the new bumper. so just pop them off pull them through the window and reinstall. that way u use stock lights but they wont dissapear in the window. i still say "brush guard" looking things over it though.

mike

Well the only moment force that would be of concern is during towing. Just resting on it or banding it on rocks I can't imagine would put too much of a moment against the mounting points; I think you'd be fine. And honestly even for towing I bet you'd be fine too, I was just talking about moving the centerline up to give you some more departure angle and clearance.

Yeah, it looks kinda low to me too, for the sacrifice of stock tail lights. They have those oval/oblong lights that use the rubber grommets that would be pretty easy to use, or even some smaller lights. The the rear quarter protection bars look kinda small too. What diameter pipe or tubing were you planning on?

RUSH55 said:
Yeah, it looks kinda low to me too, for the sacrifice of stock tail lights. They have those oval/oblong lights that use the rubber grommets that would be pretty easy to use, or even some smaller lights. The the rear quarter protection bars look kinda small too. What diameter pipe or tubing were you planning on?

That tubing is modeled at 1" diameter. I'm not sure I'll even do it, but if I do it will be some heavy D.O.M tube. Belive me the height of my current bumper is much worse than this design. And the distance from the back.

You guys got me re thinking the whole retaining the stock light idea. The oval boat trailer light inset in the back might be all right. Like this guy's

http://members.tripod.com/~TymP/rearbumper.html

Or putting the stock ones in, would take some work to get them recessed out of harms way.

Has anyone seen the trailer lights with multiple bulbs for turn/stop/backup lights?

those oval lights are good, and sealed. the multi lights you mention are nice to, with amber for turn and white back-up.
if you want to retain the stock lights and not recess them, how bout some flat stock "roll cage" action? kind of a welded up version of the one MAF? sells to bolt on.

desertdude said:
found this in the for sale section ( thanks to Yooper)

it looks kinda like your original design

Hmmm, looks effective. But frankly not too elegant. I think a boxed tube or round tube design would be stronger than flat plate and gussets. Looks like the old MAF tail light protectors before the 4+ style came along. I think some situations I've been in would have folded that bumper. :whoops:

Sorry was not trying to compare yours with that pic... yeah the rest of the truck has the same bastardized quality ( sorry Yooper)

I like the one in the link, seems kinda flush with not too much protection though

I am going for daves +4 newest incarnation of the tire/can carrier... I am too time squeezed and lazy to build my own

desertdude said:
Sorry was not trying to compare yours with that pic... yeah the rest of the truck has the same bastardized quality ( sorry Yooper)

I like the one in the link, seems kinda flush with not too much protection though

I am going for daves +4 newest incarnation of the tire/can carrier... I am too time squeezed and lazy to build my own

No offense taken, just an observation. I'd go for a Dave creation too if I didn't already have a home grown cooler/can rack. And I'm a cheapskate that needs to justify having a fancy new welder. :D

I'm starting to look into maybe using some of those round LED trailer lights.

The cool thing about those lights is that they're cheap and plentiful. You could easily carry a spare in case you bashed one. So far, I like your bumper on the CAD better than the other two. Do you plan on having a tire carrier or anything? Or are you gonna keep all the extras where they are?
How about the idea for the front?

Last edited:
RUSH55 said:
The cool thing about those lights is that they're cheap and plentiful. You could easily carry a spare in case you bashed one. So far, I like your bumper on the CAD better than the other two. Do you plan on having a tire carrier or anything? Or are you gonna keep all the extras where they are?
How about the idea for the front?

The LED lights look cool too. One problem is the size, they are all 4". That makes the bumper a little taller than I would like. And I would like to have all 3 colors still. I haven't found one that incorporates 3 colors in one light. I talked to Auto Safety House and they said they have smaller diameter flush mount "marker" lights. I may check those out to see if they would be bright enough.

I'm keeping the rear cargo setup as is
flatjack.jpg

The front will be something basic with tow points. I'd like to incorporate a winch too but haven't been able to win one in a raffle all these years :D

Last edited:
The oblong LED's are like 2 inches wide and 6 inches long, and I can get em' for $12.00. Not sure what the price is at Napa.
I noticed your cargo setup after I posted last. I'd keep it the same too, looks great!

RHINO said:
yeah dan it looks good, but im not sure about the homo vanity plate :flipoff2:

:eek:

Get bent camo boy! :princess:
My plate hasn't been homogenized.
A pox upon your garage!

Lol !!

well if your gonna go the aftermarket light route, this is how clean it COULD look.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom