Granddad's utility/camp trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntsqd

technerd
Threads
So in honor of my granddad his trailer now is known to the state by the year of mfg, his initials, and the sequence number. Being that it was his first of several trailers it is "001".

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/ntsqd/Trailer Stuff/oldbluestrailer.jpg

It looks like you Granddad built a battleship with wheels , should have got a HULL # :D
I know it looks gray, but even before being repainted it was blue. Very badly faded blue at that......
Those are GI 2.5t truck side boards of likely WWII era. The tongue is a Model A Ford Torque Tube. The lug sort of visible on the underside of the tongue just behind the Model T axle housing based stand is for the diagonal tension bars that ran out close to the Model A's rear brake backing plates. Originally it had DC-3 wheel and tires, but when those became more $$ than free it got a dropped axle from who knows what with 5x4.5 BC hydraulic drum brakes.
Unloaded I can pick up the tongue and walk it around with one hand. You're seeing all that there is to the trailer. The floor is a piece of plywood sitting on a perimeter lip with two light, and I mean light enough that I wonder about them kind of light, cross-members. So it's nearly a Unit Body Utility trailer! Granddad built the wood side-boards in the late 80's. When I first saw it in 1969 he had a fiber-glassed "bed cap" for it, but the Central OR winters slowly kilt it dead. I know that it was built for a specific camping trip, but I also know that he built a tear-drop shortly after that trip, so this trailer has mostly been used as a utility trailer. Sadly the TD was sold and I don't know of any pictures of it. I'd like to have it now.

Last edited:
Wow...the grandaddy of all homebuilts.....looks like there's enough steel in there to build 3 trailers...amazing what guys build.

It 'd be nice to find the TD...and if it's built anything like this beauty, it probably outlived 3 owners!

:beer:

Thing is that the sides are all formed sheet metal. I'd guess most of it is 0.08" or so. The thickest part is the tongue's wall, at the coupler it's about 1/4", no idea if it's constant or not. I can easily drag the trailer around on the freeway with a carb'd 22R, so it can't be all that heavy. It is rather massive looking in the pic.....

Granddad built for the long run, so with reasonable care the TD could easily still be kicking. It really would be neat to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom