Zerk-Off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Two Things,

First, I think lubing the drive shaft is the cure for everything. I had a slight clank that was bugging me. This was not the classic thunk that I cured by lubing the rear driveshaft. Rather, it was a higher pitched barely audible/feelable clank that happened at speed right when starting to decelerate (instead of right at a stop/start). I lubed the front drive shaft (with moly-type grease) and it's much better. I swear that my AC now blows colder and my MPG has increased by 20% too :)

Second, I'm not an accomplished mechanic (lubing the drive shafts is my most advanced job to date). When I try to get the grease gun fitting off the zerk it's REALLY, REALLY hard to remove. This is especially true with the front shaft because it's so hard to access and I often don't have a straight shot at it (I don't lift the vehicle to lube it, I just crawl under there). Is there any trick to this. I worried that one day I won't be able to get it off at all and that I'll have to tow my car in just to get the fitting off.

Note that I had to refrain myself from including a bunch of juvenile humor/innuendo (other than the subject) in this question.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Are you asking, how to zerk-off?
He's handled lubing the shaft, he's just questioning what to do at the end.

1st, do you have a rigid pipe on your gun, or a flexible hose? You can get into tighter spots with a little flexibility.

2nd, on the tip, you should have an adjustable end. If you twist (lefty-loosy) a bit, you'll find you can zerk off more easily. You may need to twist (righty-tighty) when you want to lube the shafts to keep the tip from blowing off the zerk knob and spraying everywhere.

He's handled lubing the shaft, he's just questioning what to do at the end.

I would imagine that with a few of those blue industrial-strength paper towels, clean up would be a breeze.

perverts...

I would imagine that with a few of those blue industrial-strength paper towels, clean up would be a breeze.

I hear socks work well.

Thanks for the tips. Now, I'll know how to get it off after I've lubed it : ) I do have the flexible hose. I didn't know that the tip was adjustable.

The way I do it, I need far more than a few paper towels when I'm done. I need to take a shower : )

I keep hearing Beavis and Butthead laughing in my head!

Thanks again!

Mr. Corey monkey is not going to like this very much . . .ha

Move the truck to move the zerk into a more favorable position. It will be easier to get the lubing device off.

There is probably a video somewhere.

Move the truck to move the zerk into a more favorable position. It will be easier to get the lubing device off.

There is probably a video somewhere.

Correct, if you rotate the shaft you can lubricate it easier without straining. Thus zerking off is easier.

Moving the truck is pita - I found myself moving more than once before I could get the position correct. Easiest thing for me is to put transfer case in N and lift front (or rear) and then you can adjust the driveshaft for perfect access.

I find having my wheels in the air makes zerking off much easier, as I can rotate my shaft to get into those hard to reach places, for better lubing...

Don't even go there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom