Zane, what do you know? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Farnham, Sorry for not updating you! I have been crazy busy with having a new born boy on the 25th who has been in the NICU and managing my two other little ones at home while my wife is at the hospital with our son.. Exciting times at my house!!!! :)

So, on to the tec part of all of this. My car had been parked outside overnight while I was at the hospital and temps dropped to around 9 degrees outside. Went out to the truck in the morning started the car and drove a good mile before coming to my first stop light. I had to slow down fairly quickly as I was not paying attention to the road.. Doh.. and my check engine light, VSC and Traction control lights came on the dash.

While at the light I turned the truck off and back on, to see if it would reset the lights, but it did not. What I had noticed is that my RPM's where running high. I put it back into gear as the light had turned green and pushed the gas peddle with no response. The truck would move forward only as fast as the RPM's would move the truck forward. No matter how far I pushed the gas nothing made it go any faster. I was able to pull over and off the road to shut the truck down. I let it sit for about 2 min and started it back up again. From that point on it ran perfect, but lights stayed lit up on the dash.

I took it to my local O'Rileys and used an Reader to see what codes where being thrown.

It was the Throttle Positioning Censor Error. I reset the computer and lights turned out and have not had the issue again. Not sure if I should expect this to come back or not, but everything is working just fine.

I will note, that one other time I had been on the highway and got off an exit and had stop at the top of the ramp and the truck died. Started right back up but no lights came on the dash. I cleaned the throttle body and never had that problem again.

Anything I need to be concerned with?

Zane

Have been having the exact problem lately! Replaced the throttle postitioning censor part for a 98 and no the 100 will not stay idling. ???? very confused. Need to do some further research. But this problem is becoming a reall pain in the asss.

On future problems. I did the same thing. Turned it off and back on, and then everything ran fine. Problem has seemed to get worse since the first sign.

Well on the dying out, the throttle body cleaning should have taken care of that, I used to have the same problems. The throttle part...no idea except I hope it don't happen to me! There have been reports of APPS failures before so it's not unheard of

Congrats on the new baby. Good luck. I don't know what to tell you about the rig. Per Slee's site

"KNOW ISSUES

1998/1999 Accelerator position and throttle position sensors can cause malfunction and cause a situation where the truck does not respond to throttle input. "

You have a 2000 correct? Hmmm.
theses are codes for '98 I assume they are the same
P1120 Accelerator pedal position sensor circuit malfunction?
P1121 Acceleratort pedal position sensor range/performance problem?
p1125 throttle control motor circuit malf?
p1128 throttle control motor lock malf?
p1129 electric throttle control system malf?

Last edited:
I just replaced my APPS for the second time in about 30,000 miles. The Toyota dealer rep called on the factory reps and they said "they have not heard of such problems." However, it died in the cold too. When the dealer replaced it the first time, we cleaned the throttle body, etc. This time they said it was still looking good. The dealer rep strongly suggested contacting corporate with a call and letter.

Apparently Corporate is separate from the factory tech guys and with enough information they may recognize a problem and support a solution from the top.

Zane - I hope your new baby is well.

Toy/lex corporate is pretty top notch, they gave me a fresh new look not too long ago ;)

I may pickup an APPS as one of those spare parts "just incase"

Ive had the same exact symptoms lately. Always when its around 30degF or lower. Sometimes the CEL doesnt come on, just the other two lights, but they will go off as soon as I touch the pedal. I am leaning toward the APPS, judging by the other threads I have read on this. The replacement thread that just came up a day or two ago might be handy.

I have a 99 lx470 that had the no power at the accelerator when driving. Did not have the cel lights come on. I replaced the TPS first and that still didn't solve the problem. It wouldn't idle and became very hard to start.

It started to throw code P1128 and P1129. I just replace the APPS (throttle lever assembly) this was a easy installation, but still no power at the pedal. Still the same problem as before but now idles at approximately 1.5K rpm.

I cleaned out the throttle body when I replaced the APPS.

What else could be wrong? Do I need to replace the TCM (throttle control motor)?

Where is the ECU located on this model?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kuh

Does anyone know the specs for adjusting the TPS?

I didn't use a Ohm meter to adjust it, could not find the specs.

so a TPS that is not in spec would cause all these problems?

Thanks

Or your real problem is the APPS like most.

TPS resistance spec is 1.25-2.35 kohm between VC and E2.
APPS resistance spec is 1.64-3.28 kohm between VC and E2.

Try the APPS/TPS thread in the FAQ.

I already read all the posts in the TPS/APPS sticky.

Replaced the TPS first and the APPS with the throttle cleaning

I have a feeling I may not have installed the TPS sensor correctly. When I rotate the TPS back and forth I do not feel any resistance. Should there be some resistance from the spring on the TPS?

I rotate the TPS and it does not affect the idle or the engine.

I'll reinstall the TPS and hopefully this will take care of the problem

The APPS seems to be a straight forward install because of the the Three screws that holds it in place. When I installed the APPS I could feel the parts touching and feeling some resistance.

thanks for the resistance specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom