Zack's roof rack build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So Zack posted some flares in the for sale section and for some reason I decided that it would be easier to reinstall flares on the old truck than to weld the holes shut and repaint the fenders.(Little did I know that the holes don't line up and the stupid duplicolor bedliner I used to paint them would splatter huge drops all over them requiring a sand down and repaint...).

then I thought it would be a good idea to trade him a custom built roof rack for the flares plus a little cash instead of just buying them outright. But, I don't have a 1" square tube bender... No problem, I'll just build one :rolleyes:

two nights in the garage later I finally "finished" building my medieval weapon:

IMAG0779.jpg

I used two .25 X 5.5" radius plates on the the outside, 2 .25 and 2 .12 X 4.5" plates on the inside sandwiched around a .25 x 4.75" plate in the middle to create a 5" Center line radius bend in 1" square tubing. All cut on the bandsaw and cleaned up with an angle grinder.

IMAG0782.jpg

It would have made more sense to just buy the protools one for my bender for $250, but I've wanted to try this for a while and it seems to work well. I just have to figure out how to calculate the bends and the rack should come together quickly:

IMAG0780.jpg

The bends turned out better than expected, my goal was to create a smoother bend than the bends on Zack's hitch haul and these are definitely much cleaner with almost no distortion on the side walls.

That is truly Awsome!!

This is going to be the best rack on mud.

Thanks. I don't know about that, but it should be cool.

One thing I didn't mention on the bender is that the plates are all bolted together. That way if I want to bend 3/4 tube I can just take it apart,pull out the 1/8th inch plates, and bolt it back together. I am debating using the smaller tube on the upper rails, but I will probably try it out with 1" first since I have 150' of it in the driveway.

bhmmapping said:
not too much, but a little progress:

front rail all bent:

expanded metal will be cut down, just testing the width:

This will be the best rack on mud. Not a doubt in my mind.

posted with my thumbs.

Friggin' ShamWOW!
That's awesome!

Oh man.
Might hafta get one of these for the digger!

if... IF I ever sell this 80, I am keeping the rack.

best one out there .

if... IF I ever sell this 80, I am keeping the rack.

best one out there .

If you end up keeping it until the wheels fall off and the body work disintegrates into a pile of dust and oily rust, I bet that rack will still be running strong.

That thing looks beefcake.

I keep thinking of details to add which slows me down, but everything is cut except for the mesh at this point. Just got to finish welding the top rack and the million joints and smooth out the welds on top.

Sadly, I am a little jealous of this one, don't know if I'll have the motivation to build one for myself too.

IMAG0796.jpg

I keep thinking of details to add which slows me down, but everything is cut except for the mesh at this point. Just got to finish welding the top rack and the million joints and smooth out the welds on top.

Sadly, I am a little jealous of this one, don't know if I'll have the motivation to build one for myself too.

IMAG0796.jpg

Woooowwww... this is gonna be sexy. The second one is always a lot quicker to build. I bet you can knock out one for your 80 in half the time.

All you friggin 80 owners with your sexy roof racks. :cool: Makes me wish I had twice the rooftop real estate.

I got a bed though!

How much you think it's gonna end up weighing?

THAT LOOKS SO GOOD!!! I can't wait!! -insert little dancing guy-

posted with my thumbs.

Matt why haven't you started selling your stuff on Mudd proper? Your sliders are awesome looking this rack is the best looking one I have seen and I bet if you put your mind to it you could make a great rear bumper with swing out

Sent from my Droid thingy using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom