YouTube Car Care Nut Gushing Review 100 & 200s - Should you buy a Toyota Land Cruiser? What makes it so good? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
[posted this in the 100 series forum too, but sharing here ICYMI]

This was just posted today and already has a ton of comments. For most not much we don’t already know, but some insights worth hearing from a Toyota Master Technician. I love this guy.

Could we experience an even more frothy LC used car frenzy?
Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!

Should you buy a Toyota Land Cruiser? What makes it so good?

Last edited:
Everything he said was on point.

EDIT: Well, maybe not everything...

Last edited:
Agreed

Except, the lc200 is a rip off (price-wise) in the US for some reason..

In the GCC market, these were the rough price points for a 2020 new LC200 (excluding taxes):

GX-R : V6 4.0 engine, 6 speed auto - starts at ~$ 46,500

..few models in between..

VX-R (full option, 20 inch wheels, body kit, and AHC suspension like the LX570) : v8 5.7 engine, 8 speed auto <-- higher than US spec, - priced at ~$ 81,000

I priced a top spec 200 at a dealer in Doha and I don't recall it being as amazing a deal as I expected. The more common 6 cylinder base model was a relative bargain though.

Maybe I did the QAR to USD conversion incorrectly.

Incidentally, the sales guy recommended that I buy the 6 cylinder in white with the light color cloth interior, for future resale purposes. He said the V8 is unpopular and more engine than is usable in local driving.

I found it when he discussed how the 5.7l had differences in parts reliability between the LC and the Tundra/Sequoia. And he clearly implied the Japanese build had more attention to detail.

Great video and take on what makes the Land Cruiser special from a more technical perspective, which is refreshing. It’s a nice break from the typical videos regarding fuel economy and third row seat’s shortcomings.

To be honest, we were lucky that Toyota ever offered this vehicle in the US to begin with. I think he is on the right track with the way Toyota marketed and spec’d the LC in the US market; it probably could have been done better, but we have what we have.

I find myself laughing out loud every time I see a 4 liter GRJ200 brought up in these conversations as though it has any relevance in our market.

Until many more Americans decide to make spending decisions based on “quality,” something like a LandCruiser with that trait as a defining feature won’t find much success in this country.

I priced a top spec 200 at a dealer in Doha and I don't recall it being as amazing a deal as I expected. The more common 6 cylinder base model was a relative bargain though.

Maybe I did the QAR to USD conversion incorrectly.

Incidentally, the sales guy recommended that I buy the 6 cylinder in white with the light color cloth interior, for future resale purposes. He said the V8 is unpopular and more engine than is usable in local driving.
Sales guys, universally, are not exactly known for being honest... Also, here is Kuwait we usually get better deals vs Qatar.
Though the v6 manual (base GX trim) is popular with the off-road crowd.

I recall our 2016 auto v6 200 series was underpowered and horrible on gas mileage despite being a v6

The video was pretty accurate, that's refreshing.

The only other engine I'd be interested aside from the V8 we have stateside is the diesel. In no way would I want the 4.0L V6 even if it comes with a manual. I had three 4Runners with that motor and it was underpowered in many ways in that platform.

I found it when he discussed how the 5.7l had differences in parts reliability between the LC and the Tundra/Sequoia. And he clearly implied the Japanese build had more attention to detail.
I’d disagree. They are different products with different specs but that is the only real world difference in the plants or manufacturing quality. Ive spent plenty of time in US, Mexico, and Japan assembly plants and Toyota doesn’t lower standards based on locations. What they don’t tell you Is they build the 200 in China too.

Last edited:
I’d disagree. They are different products with different specs but that is the only real world siffeeence. Ive spent plenty of time in US, Mexico, and Japan assembly plants and Toyota doesn’t lower standards based on locations. What they don’t tell you Is they build the 200 in China too.
@OGBeno any input?

I’d disagree. They are different products with different specs but that is the only real world siffeeence. Ive spent plenty of time in US, Mexico, and Japan assembly plants and Toyota doesn’t lower standards based on locations. What they don’t tell you Is they build the 200 in China too.

Excuse me?!? I must have hit my head.

Theres a lot of talk about how the LC is like the rich mans sleeper in USA but i have to interject as i think there is like 5,000 people in that demo and they buy an LC every 10 years or so. The big problem to me is that the longevity of the LC, which is literally unmatched at any price, is not ever marketed. That just doesnt make any sense as its the LC platform biggest strength. To add to that, if it were marketed that way, more people would realize that even at $90K its a bargain in the long term.

As much as i also think the options packages arent super well thought out for the US market, or just absent, @bloc is right on this one. It needs to have everything for the US consumer, and thats already barely enough to compete on paper before the soft advantages are considered. I think the LC brand is a tragedy of poor market positioning. In recent times (and im not old enough to know the past) it never was sold as durable, it never was presented as an off-road beast, and it never was demonstrated to be particularly luxurious either which it kind of is for a toyota.

Despite literally everyone claiming its a porblem with price and features, it just isnt. Look at the 4 runner wild success story (and the GX). Those are even more horrendously outdated than any LC or LX at this point and both sell very very well. That theory just doesnt pan out. Just like the hidden millionaire theory that the base demo for the LC is someone who wants to look like they are in a highlander. Its just not true, almost no one cares about that in the USA, where your safety is not compromised by looking like you have wealth. Hell, people with nothing are out there flashing the most literally the opposite culturally.

Btw I forgot to say this is the second time I’m hearing 3UR internal differences from an “insider”.

lol

Regarding what?
Stonepa’s comment above that Japanese built toyota products won’t have more attention to detail than those built in USA/Mexico

Stonepa’s comment above that Japanese built toyota products won’t have more attention to detail than those built in USA/Mexico

He’s pretty much spot on. Except in some Lexus cases. But overall, Toyota manufacturing globally is pretty standardized and rationalized.

What is different are the intangibles…. Japanese worker mindset vs American, for example. I’ll say that’s where things get quite different.

What is different are the intangibles…. Japanese worker mindset vs American, for example. I’ll say that’s where things get quite different.
That's what was thinking of.

Would you say there is room in toyota's production methodology for that mindset to influence the quality of example engines from Japan vs the US? I understand that this might be hard to measure, and especially predict.. I guess I'm asking for your gut impression.

I know my 170k mile cruiser is tight as a drum inside, whereas my friend's 100k mile tundra has a handful of squeaks and rattles.. but I assumed that was explained by design differences with the cruiser being designed to a higher standard from the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom