Your thoughts? Hyalite Rec Area "Improvements" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As someone that enjoys the Hyalite area, I might come off sounding a bit selfish here, but I like being able to get to areas where others in less than capable vehicles can go. Keeps the crowds low. Less traffic and noise. I go there looking for peace and quiet and solitude. Your thoughts on this proposal?

Hyalite recreation area improvements proposed

Doesn't bother me. Nothing in hyalite is inaccessible or off the beaten path anyway. I could get down all the roads in a lowered Volvo, so accses wasnt/isn't an issue. Peace and solitude can be found if you're willing to hike. Or find roads that actually limit less than capable vehicles, which hyalite road doesn't even in its current state.

Before the road was paved it was 4wd only. It was no problem getting an elk or deer, just not a lot of people . Was pretty wild country. Then we had progress..

I say let the Subi crowds have it. Let them fix the roads and hopefully they start to plow. That means less CA plates in the ditches. I frequent Hyalite during the week quite often and I love to take the dog on early morning hikes. I mean early. Otherwise I have written off the entire area as entirely too busy. The steady streams of people pouring in as i'm driving out at 7AM is crazy.

Don't be surprised if they put a large amount of money from there constantly shrinking budget into the Haylite drainage they will then close down other FS access sights. Remember Bracket Creek FSAS?

What happened to bracket creek?
I have the same attitude as ttFJC, hyalite is never on the top of my list of places to go. Mostly because of the perceived crowds. But hyalite is awesome , there's so much you can do up there and it's so close. And it just takes some time on foot to get away from the crowds ,

Honestly, I am good with it. My wife and I do frequent Hyalite when we want a quick venture outside of Bozo. She can't handle the movement from offroading so we can't even go up flathead (other than going from the backside) so hyalite is a nice option. And the hiking is good when you go over the one-mile mark that so many people stop at LOL. And being more of a backpacking and hiking family vs offroading it is fine with me.

Since there are just going to be more and more people going up there. Might as well do something so it doesn't get worse. Granted the parking lots and roads don't bother me when not following anyone since I can go over them without a thought, but there have been many times of going hardly 5mph behind cars trying to make it through the potholes.

I do like having Hyalite open most of the year. Yes the traffic is noticeable but having a quick place to go for a walk or just sit and watch the mountain goats is nice. As for the hiking trails, they are nice but I have never been a fan of following a sign post. I have learned to step over logs and walk around the trees. Closing the FS access sights 6 1/2 months of the year has funneled a lot more people up Hyalite.

Bracket Creek had many trail heads and parking areas to access the back side of the Sacagewea. Sold, now gated with many more restrictions on the remaining "go around" road.

I still maintain that had the proposed dam been constructed in the 50s we wouldn't be having these discussions today..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom