Your Speakers & Why You Like Them - Morel's with Pics! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone tried to install the Morel 6.5's in an early LX470? I have a 99 that had the Nakamichi stereo and wondered if these speakers would fit in the stock mounts?

Has anyone tried to install the Morel 6.5's in an early LX470? I have a 99 that had the Nakamichi stereo and wondered if these speakers would fit in the stock mounts?

Are the stock mounts the speaker boxes? If so, I've seen videos where the box was easily trimmed for 6.5" speakers. The Morel 6.5's are pretty shallow at 2 3/8". In my 01 LC there is plenty of room, not sure why I ever read that there was a need for a speaker on the shallow end. As well, the stock speaker mounts on the 01 LC work perfectly fyi.

Are the stock mounts the speaker boxes? If so, I've seen videos where the box was easily trimmed for 6.5" speakers. The Morel 6.5's are pretty shallow at 2 3/8". In my 01 LC there is plenty of room, not sure why I ever read that there was a need for a speaker on the shallow end. As well, the stock speaker mounts on the 01 LC work perfectly fyi.

In my case (alpine speakers) - their "top" is about 5mm taller than stock if measured from mounting base. So, in order to fit them under panel you need to trim stock mounting plastic. I wanted solid surface, so I trimmed 11mm and added 1/4 ABS rings

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

In my case (alpine speakers) - their "top" is about 5mm taller than stock if measured from mounting base. So, in order to fit them under panel you need to trim stock mounting plastic. I wanted solid surface, so I trimmed 11mm and added 1/4 ABS rings

View attachment 2400442

View attachment 2400443

Those look very similar (if not the same) to my stock speaker mounts. I just mounted straight to it by drilling pilot holes and using stock screws. I didn’t measure but I would guess the Morel’s were taller than the stock speakers **this guess was incorrect, see pics below. I remember seeing a thread where someone needed to trim the edge of the door panel to fit their new speakers. If that’s what you need to do it didn’t seem like too difficult.

Last edited:

Yes, the stock speaker boxes. I appreciate the info, guys.

How deep of a driver do you think would work?

Here's a comparison of the front speakers - stock on left, Morel on right. Stock is actually taller from the mount up and deeper from the mount back.

IMG_3702.jpg

Here are the rear door speakers - again stock on left and Morel on right. Stock is taller and deeper for the rear speakers as well.

IMG_3680.jpg

Also, here are the tweeters. I used the stock mount with 3M molding tape and some of the 1/4" DynaLiner to attach and secure in the sail.

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3710.jpg

With those Morels it looks like plug and play installation, no need to touch anything

Mostly, the connectors are different though. You will need a Metra connector for the rear speakers if you leave stock wiring. For the fronts you can do that or rewire from the crossover to the speaker.

Last edited:
How deep of a driver do you think would work?

I'm not sure on the boxes but here's a pic of one of my speaker mounts on end with speaker installed. Even if the speaker came out the back end of the mount there is room.

IMG_3909.jpg

Yes, it's more than the 1.2" height of the crossover next to it in this picture.

IMG_3922.jpg

Another view. You can just see the crossover in the corner.

IMG_3923.jpg

The rear doors have the same adapter. Here’s a pic of a finished rear door. Can’t see the adapter super well but it gives you the idea.

C73D4E02-DA76-4D4B-918F-BD5EA70835ED.jpeg

Huh... ok... I was wondering because when you select the speakers on Crutchfield they sell the adapters for the front doors but not for the rear? Thought that seemed odd as i thought I had seen pics of similar setup (e.g. what you have going on). Wonder if Crutchfield just doesn't know?

Hmmm, I didn't get recommendations for adapter plates from Crutchfield on either one so just went at it with what I had. Wiring adapters were included for both though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom