your oponions on adapters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an FJ40 w/a chev 350. I would like to convert an SM465 to three speed xfer case and would like your oponions as to which kit you would recommend (price, best). Sorry for not being specific on last post. Thanks for your patience, I'm new at this & appreciate your responses.

I would give woody a ring...

Hi All:

My understanding is that there are two styles of conversion plates for the SM465 to the Land Cruiser transfer case; the"plate" type, as sold by "Classic Cruisers" in Colorado, or the "spud shaft" style as produced by "Advance Adaptors" in California.

Overall, it sounds like the the "spud shaft" style of adaptor is a better design, but would be difficult to use on a 40 Series with the F/2F engine (because of overall length.) The "plate' type is the typical choice when doing this swap with the I-6 engine in a FJ40.

There is a lot of swap info out there on the 'web; I'd do some through research before spending any $$!

Good luck with the rig!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

landcrusher910 said:
I have an FJ40 w/a chev 350. I would like to convert an SM465 to three speed xfer case and would like your oponions as to which kit you would recommend (price, best). Sorry for not being specific on last post. Thanks for your patience, I'm new at this & appreciate your responses.

You could also look at a Rockbox or Toybox as an option. More money than just an adapter but more gearing options might be worth the extra $$. depends on how you wheel.

don't buy from classic cruisers...poor customer service and not a great product either...get it from woody in aluminum and much more affordable.

nuclearlemon said:
don't buy from classic cruisers...poor customer service and not a great product either...get it from woody in aluminum and much more affordable.

The Classic Cruiser one does seem pricey, but not a bad product. My dad has had one in his 40 for several years now with no problems. And Classic Cruisers has always treated him well.

i was told they had one in stock...told them i was mailing money order that day. guy on phone said he'd hold one for a couple days for me...til money order got there. got the plate five months later after calling them every other weekend and the holes were all just a hair off of where they should've been. so it wouldn't bolt up. i've bought from classic cruisers twice, both bad experiences...won't buy from them again.

many i know consider them very high dollar on everything. just my word of warning. woody's got a good rep and he's always easy to contact if you have problems :D

got mine from advance adapters,also foolishly bought a new shaft from classic cruisers that they wouldnt take back.AA would get my bidness again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom