your opinion on sliders please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at building some sliders for my BJ74. Was wondering what you all think of using square tubing instead of round. Pro's, cons, ect... Also if anyone has some pics or links to some cool ones please add them if you don't mind. Thanks J

Take a look at the sliders 2badfjs built for wesintl.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/98198-bj70-sliders.html
115_1579.jpg

What do you specifically mean by 'sliders'. Perhaps you can put that in the subject line rather than the meaningless 'your opinion please'

wow sorry guy just trying to get peoples attention. My bad try to be more discriptive in the future. I thought that "sliders" was a common term for rock sliders or the things that protect your truck along the sill between the wheels. check the picture that guy gets it.

by the way those are pretty badazz! thanks for the pic/link

:crybaby:"What do you specifically mean by 'sliders'. Perhaps you can put that in the subject line rather than the meaningless 'your opinion please' ":crybaby:

I would build sliders out of square tubing. 2x2x3/16 or 1/4 would look cool and be hella strong. Easy to fab, no notching required, flat surface for the hi-lift. If you put some thought into a clean design they could look cool too. I'd slot 3 sides of the tubing, bend, and reweld for a curved look instead of having squared off corners. Sorry no pics. You could cut out the rocker panels and weld in 2x4 but most 74's are too clean for the air chisel.

I made them out of square tubing. About 50 x 50 mm. Maybe I can post a picture later this week or next week. They are off at the moment, getting repainted.
They had some bad times every now and then but all that happened was the paint going off.

What do you specifically mean by 'sliders'. Perhaps you can put that in the subject line rather than the meaningless 'your opinion please'

If you don't have anything to contribute but critisism, perhaps you should keep your opinion to yourself.

John Galt, I don't think I like you... I'd go with the square tubes as well Oilers, they will look great if done well and remember, if you don't make them yourself, you're paying too much... aftermarket sliders are so expensive...

I think John Galt was meaning the generic subject line. Until you click on the thread itself you have no idea what it is about. And a lot of people will ignore a thread that has no indication of it's purpose.

Having said that, I also vote for square tubing for the sliders. You can tuck them up right under the rocker panels so that they are easier to fabricate and you don't need a bender. The only downside is you can't stand on them if you have a fairly tall rig. I have had both types. On my 4r I stand on the round tube sliders that extend about 4" from the body all the time to pack the rig, get stuff in and out, even moving around the rig to get straps for extrication. I use those sliders all the time just like someone on a boat would use the gunwales (not sure if that is correct, the portion of the deck that surrounds the cabin on a well designed boat that allows people to walk on all sides of the cabin). But that is on my very tall 4runner.

On the 70 I don't use the round tube sliders that stick out in that manner at all. Sometimes I put a foot on them to hoist myself in, but usually I just put the first foot into the vehicle and bypass the sliders.

So I guess my point is this: On an open vehicle the round tubing sliders serve a dual-purpose, body armor and useful platform for standing and loading. On a closed vehicle like a 70 I would opt for square tube under the rockers. On a cj-7 I built up all I used was 2x2 angle iron and it worked great for many years.

Well, HTH

I have to say that I kinda like the look of the round bars but that is just me.

Now as for sliders I was not sure what they were untill I saw the picture. I have also had some time four by fouring but with suzukis and chebys. What I have known them as is Nurf Bars so in the world there is probable more than one turm for something. So next time maybe when someone asks a question about something mabe explain it to them and not run them down about it. I only say this due to the fact that I'm new to landcruises and if this is the responce to a question then well..............................

I have to say that I kinda like the look of the round bars but that is just me.

So do I and tube is stronger than box section by weight;)

So do I and tube is stronger than box section by weight;)

But box is not so common....;)

Weight by strength ratio you are right. But 5 x 5 square is stronger than 5 diam tube. Therefore you can have less wall thicknes when using square.

But box is not so common....;)

Weight by strength ratio you are right. But 5 x 5 square is stronger than 5 diam tube. Therefore you can have less wall thicknes when using square.

Less wall thickness on flat steel will buckle before tube when a load is concentrated on a small area;). They only use square or box section in the construction industry because tubed steel is more expensive.

Round tube looks better. Now as for round vs square for strenghth well I work with aircraft every day and there is a reason that most aircraft are round. The amount of tortional load on a tailboom of a helicopters hugh, the round shape is the key to it strenght. Now I also understand that a slider/nurf bar is a lot different than a tailboom, but the forces are similar if the bar is up against something.

Besides round bars look better, did I already say that?

The main advantage of tube is that it has equal strength in every direction. So if you cannot predict from what direction a force will work on it, you will use tubes instead of box. The helicopter tail is a good example.
But if you can predict from which direction the forces will act you can create the optimum design strength.
For sliders of box shape you would ideally use box created from two angled strips. A thick one and a thinner one. Use the thicker walls at bottom and outside, the thinner at upper and inner side.
This can be done because on sliders the forces will act upon them from below or from the side.
The thick one is more resistent to concentrated loads. The thinner part will only 'see' pulling forces and will never buckle.

Welding two pieces of angle together thats a cool idea. Though it just maybe that I'm laze but with round tube would you not get the same stength with less work? As well with the Round Tube would it not also be lighter, I do relize that weight is probable not the worry here.

For a defined direction of forces it's never an advantage to use round tubing.
Round is the optimum for forces working on it from any direction but for sliders we can assume that the forces will vary in direction over an angle of max 90 degrees. This is from underneeth to from the side. One can safely assume there will be no forces acting on the slider from above or the body side.
Thicker metal is more resistant to buckling so it has to be at the side from which the forces act.

Round being stronger than box (given weight) is only true for forces acting from random directions.

Should weight be important ( and I agree, weight is not much of an issue here) one could assume that the forces would act only from below (it's a slider isn't it?). Then you could use an I- shaped beam.
High resistance against forces from below and you could use something like just 2 mm thick and 6 cm high, top and bottom with a width of 3 cm. But it would look terrible and have virtually no resistance agains forces working on it in the horizontal plane.

Looking at building some sliders for my BJ74. Was wondering what you all think of using square tubing instead of round. Pro's, cons, ect... Also if anyone has some pics or links to some cool ones please add them if you don't mind. Thanks J

DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!!!:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom