Your Local Dealership (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As much as I’d like to have time to drive 30 min to my local Toyota, and visit with Bob the parts guy, it’s just not worth my time or the expense. I’ve given them a chance to earn my business, and it takes longer and costs more.

Today I tried to get a torsion bar adjuster and bolt. I already went to Partsouq, because frankly it’s faster for me to look up the part myself and have the part numbers. $50 3-7 days shipping.

2 local dealers- $120 and 7-10 business days. When I told them I don’t mind spending a little more to stay local, but double was pushing it, they said “I understand, sorry about that.” I’ve probably tried my last time.

BTW, I ran a list of parts against Partsouq, Norwalk, Olathe, mcGeorge, and Camelback. It was actually a split between Partsouq and Norwalk. The latter 3 weren’t competitive.

^^same experience here in Las Vegas we have two toyota dealerships here and one Lexus, and comparing it to the partsouq prices, they are about 2-2.5x more than partsouq shipping cost included (of course lexus is more). Amazon and eBay listings sometimes even cheaper than partsouq.

Beyond oil filters, spark plugs and air filters, 98% of dealers won't have inventory on hand of what you need for your 100 series. Local dealers here ATL (with the exception of one that is 45 miles away), consistently mark up parts prices 50-100% over MSRP/list price! So why would I waste the time to drive to a dealer and pay 50%~100% over list price, then kiss the parts guys azz to match online prices, then wait for them to order the parts because they dont have them in stock....then have to return to pick up parts?

DIY service related activity, parts search & application is part of the self sufficiency helpful to maintaining an aging vehicle platform. If you've tried and still cant find your part, post a thread and someone here will help.

You can use Toyota's official parts site to search parts, check schematics, etc then pick your preferred domestic parts dealers to check "shipped" prices against others including import parts.

oh i see it, he charges me more than anyone, doesn't have it there, won't give a discount if I order 5k worth of the same part, has problems calling me back, on and on. Sure, I need friends like that.
trust me, I have tried to give out 5k dollar bills more than once and get the, naw sorry I can't do that.

have to say though, south Atlanta free shipping after covid was very nice, and McGeorge parts people on the phone are fantastic.

monkey will be along to boot it, don't worry. Lots of people drink and post.

Last edited:
Buying parts, for my 14-22 year old vehicles, at my local Toyota/Lexus dealer feels an awful lot like trying to buy a book, at a brick and mortar Barnes & Noble. If it's a common commodity item, and speed is more important than price, then they're OK, but more often than not it's:

They don't have it in stock.​
They charge full price.​
They act like it's a real PITA to lookup and order.​
They might call when the prepaid item is ready to pickup, then again, they might not.​

I've found that if the item needs to be ordered, it's generally quicker, easier, cheaper, and more convenient, to just order the damn thing myself, and have it delivered to my house.

Totally agree @Lonegrasshopper . I highly recommend Molle Toyota in Kansas City - they have several guys behind the counter with 15-30 years experience and are very familiar with the Land Cruiser. I do my homework, bring parts numbers, know the pricing possibilities and go from there. I buy some things online and some things there but best of all are the relationships I've enjoyed over the last couple of years. My day is always better when I go in to see those guys and I believe they feel the same. All built around the great vehicle that brought us all here.

My local dealer in Ohio has online prices and in person prices. The online prices are the same as the major online OEM parts sites and I can pick them up in person and pay no shipping. Toyota also has a parts distribution site here, meaning that my orders rarely take more than a day to fulfill. I learned this when I had to order a part from a dealer in Michigan earlier this year and the parts guys said it all ships from Cincinnati. Personally, I don't like the local dealer at all. They replaced the frame on my Tundra and it was shoddy work and a fight throughout the process. But I will say it's nice to have have a place I can get a part quickly for the same prices as online.

My local dealer in Ohio has online prices and in person prices. The online prices are the same as the major online OEM parts sites and I can pick them up in person and pay no shipping. Toyota also has a parts distribution site here, meaning that my orders rarely take more than a day to fulfill. I learned this when I had to order a part from a dealer in Michigan earlier this year and the parts guys said it all ships from Cincinnati. Personally, I don't like the local dealer at all. They replaced the frame on my Tundra and it was shoddy work and a fight throughout the process. But I will say it's nice to have have a place I can get a part quickly for the same prices as online.

Kings Toyota in Cincy? I'm up in Columbus, and am debating placing an order through them for pickup next time i know i'm passing through. It's the only thing remotely local that has pricing relative to the other high volume distributors like McGeorge & Camelback. I usually do McGeorge/Partsouq, but they're the only option i've found that's reasonable for an OEM radiator if i decide to go that route

Kings Toyota in Cincy? I'm up in Columbus, and am debating placing an order through them for pickup next time i know i'm passing through. It's the only thing remotely local that has pricing relative to the other high volume distributors like McGeorge & Camelback. I usually do McGeorge/Partsouq, but they're the only option i've found that's reasonable for an OEM radiator if i decide to go that route
Yes. I will say their website isn't as easy to navigate as some of the other online vendors but if you have the part number, your gold.

I recently did a starter job on my former Tundra (plus a lot of “while I’m in here” parts). Of course I tried to get everything I thought I would need ahead of time but there’s always something unforeseen in a job that big. No problem I thought, I live in a big city with a few Toyota dealers, they should have what I need in stock, right? Wrong. Parts that I thought would be commonplace (since there’s millions of these 2UZ’s on the road) were at least 3-4 days out. Add in the price hike dealers charge and I might as well just wait another couple days to get what I need from McGeorge.

I keep seeing on here time and time again members asking for part numbers. I get it if you are no where near a Toyota dealership, but if you are, I recommend going down to your local dealership and engaging with them. Keep engaging the same counterman, and if you are friendly enough, you know like a human, you might make a friend. Shoot the crap with them when you are in there. Think of it like a bar, and he/she is the bartender. They will get to know you, and you them. Like a bartender you might even get a free drink every now and again. You would also be helping out your local economy, and community.

My local part friend prefers to have part numbers from me.

I have dealt with the my local dealership for 15 years and they have almost always had the same price as online retailers for parts. We have purchased a couple vehicles new from them as well. Service prices are always within range and I have a somewhat friendship with the service writer. That being said I think they are trying to overcharge me on my wife's GX for a t-case actuator leak.

It’s a dealership. Most get a bad rap. They bring it on themselves. Obviously the business is like most, it’s all about profit. To make matters more greedy, it’s three different departments competing amongst themselves as well. Parts won’t budge an inch on their prices to help sell a repair estimate. Service won’t repair used cars for less labor or install accessories for less labor. I don’t wonder why most employees are crabby.

Honestly, unless the "parts guy" is a 25 year old hot chick I don't have the time and money to cultivate a relationship... :flipoff2:

And even if I had the time and money I'd still be too old, too married and with too many kids. Guess I'm stuck with the interweb parts dealers. :p

Opps

1FD83760-67ED-44EE-9950-DA2CC7EF4CF9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom