Your Local Dealership (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I keep seeing on here time and time again members asking for part numbers. I get it if you are no where near a Toyota dealership, but if you are, I recommend going down to your local dealership and engaging with them. Keep engaging the same counterman, and if you are friendly enough, you know like a human, you might make a friend. Shoot the crap with them when you are in there. Think of it like a bar, and he/she is the bartender. They will get to know you, and you them. Like a bartender you might even get a free drink every now and again. You would also be helping out your local economy, and community.

X2 on this. Has made a huge difference in both price, and overall cruiser ownership. I’m at the point with my guy that I have his phone # and shoot a text whenever I need a part. I know every dealership isn’t the same, but I would’ve never known how great these guys are if I had never gone in and asked for some parts and complained about my 60 being a POS :redface:.
100% makes a difference to get to know them and they’ve hooked me up with a few diff mechs/vendors in the area that I never would’ve discovered myself.
S/O the Umansky Toyota parts dept!:flipoff2:

X3

Just keep in mind the parts guys have zero incentive to go below MSRP when they sell you stuff at first. They are there to help their employer make money.

It's up to you to develop and grow that reason.

My local dealer has gotten pretty close to web prices for me the decade. I noticed last time I went to buy parts their prices went up. Not enough for me to leave (it was just for an oil filter and some oil for my new car) but I was sorta bummed. Looking for accessories for the new car on the web they showed up on a Google search. I guess they now sell parts online which they didn't do before, the online parts isn't as cheap as McGeorge but really close on the random parts I looked at and I can pick it up. I'm not sure how a part return will go because when I got a wrong part from them (which is rare, probably 2-3 times in the last 25 years) they took it back with no restocking fee, not sure how they'll handle that on web orders unless it's a mistake on their website.

My local dealer has gotten pretty close to web prices for me the decade. I noticed last time I went to buy parts their prices went up. Not enough for me to leave (it was just for an oil filter and some oil for my new car) but I was sorta bummed. Looking for accessories for the new car on the web they showed up on a Google search. I guess they now sell parts online which they didn't do before, the online parts isn't as cheap as McGeorge but really close on the random parts I looked at and I can pick it up. I'm not sure how a part return will go because when I got a wrong part from them (which is rare, probably 2-3 times in the last 25 years) they took it back with no restocking fee, not sure how they'll handle that on web orders unless it's a mistake on their website.
And this is why you befriend someone there. That person over time will do you right.

X3

Just keep in mind the parts guys have zero incentive to go below MSRP when they sell you stuff at first. They are there to help their employer make money.

It's up to you to develop and grow that reason.
And this is it. It’s a relationship.

Challenge for @planomateo

What's the part number for the switch cover for the upper part of the drivers side power seat? 01 LX please

How about the bolt that attaches the power lumbar adjuster to the seat frame? 01 LX please

What's the part number for the switch cover for the upper part of the drivers side power seat? 01 LX please

How about the bolt that attaches the power lumbar adjuster to the seat frame? 01 LX please
It’s a symbiotic relationship. We both benefit. At first you’ll have to put you the time, he doesn’t know you, but eventually it is mutually beneficial.

I respectfully disagree with the idea that it should be up to the customer to cultivate a reasonable relationship their local parts/service manager. While I am grateful that some local dealers step up to the plate and offer DIYers a reasonable way to have a relationship with them, many do not.

With most parts and service businesses, there has been massive inflation for a long time. Historically, a part costs the OEM $1 to make and list price is set to 'value it' at $8 or so. Let's say that makes wholesale price $4. Before the internet, everything is peachy. After the internet, somebody decides they'd rather make 50c a unit times thousands of units nationally, rather than $4 a unit times hundreds locally. Different pricing in international markets only further exacerbates this problem. So, now any reasonably sophisticated consumer can find the $8 part for $5, maybe even $4 or less overseas. Meanwhile the local dealer still wants his $8 margins.

Let this problem go on long enough, and $5 the internet guys get more leverage. Pretty soon, they can tell the OEMs 'fine, but if you cut me off, then I'm going to have to direct ALL my sales to the knockoff parts'. Or, maybe just buy from one of your distributors who isn't so demanding.

The problem is not yet painful enough for Mr T to solve. Because to do that, you'd need closed distribution and serialization/traceability of Toyota parts or a MUCH flatter pricing system. So, we are where we are. Educated DIYers find good prices on parts online, most everyone else gets charged a ripoff list.

I'd LOVE to have a good relationship locally with Mr T, but I do not. All local dealers have each been given several opportunities to earn my business, and they were happy with the list price transaction. So, I spent 95% of my money elsewhere.

It's a shame really, because there is room for a better relationship between all parties. But, I think that is on Toyota to solve. After all, they are the only source of the parts.

Sure, if you have a good parts guy in a good place. Great! But I have to say I have not been impressed by most of the Toyota dealerships I've been to. Long-term customer satisfaction does seem to take a distant second place to quick profit. Sign of the times... And realistically probably 95% of the customers pay full list price for everything without asking anything about it. So we are likely the few annoying know-it-all cheap customers in the eyes of management. Would not hold my breath that most would bend backward to help..

I'll play, more details.

What cover, got a picture?

When you say power lumbar adjuster to seat frame, are you referring to this? If so, believe that is 9165160614

20201010_170705.jpg

I respectfully disagree with the idea that it should be up to the customer to cultivate a reasonable relationship their local parts/service manager. While I am grateful that some local dealers step up to the plate and offer DIYers a reasonable way to have a relationship with them, many do not.

With most parts and service businesses, there has been massive inflation for a long time. Historically, a part costs the OEM $1 to make and list price is set to 'value it' at $8 or so. Let's say that makes wholesale price $4. Before the internet, everything is peachy. After the internet, somebody decides they'd rather make 50c a unit times thousands of units nationally, rather than $4 a unit times hundreds locally. Different pricing in international markets only further exacerbates this problem. So, now any reasonably sophisticated consumer can find the $8 part for $5, maybe even $4 or less overseas. Meanwhile the local dealer still wants his $8 margins.

Let this problem go on long enough, and $5 the internet guys get more leverage. Pretty soon, they can tell the OEMs 'fine, but if you cut me off, then I'm going to have to direct ALL my sales to the knockoff parts'. Or, maybe just buy from one of your distributors who isn't so demanding.

The problem is not yet painful enough for Mr T to solve. Because to do that, you'd need closed distribution and serialization/traceability of Toyota parts or a MUCH flatter pricing system. So, we are where we are. Educated DIYers find good prices on parts online, most everyone else gets charged a ripoff list.

I'd LOVE to have a good relationship locally with Mr T, but I do not. All local dealers have each been given several opportunities to earn my business, and they were happy with the list price transaction. So, I spent 95% of my money elsewhere.

It's a shame really, because there is room for a better relationship between all parties. But, I think that is on Toyota to solve. After all, they are the only source of the parts.
Dude, WTF are you talking about? It’s always up to the individual consumer to initiate the relationship. The counterman can see 100 people per day, and it’s up to you to stick out. The counterman is serving the public, but if you befriend him, you will standout. You need to make a personal connection.

I get it, you’re not personable. It’s okay.

MJK is personable, he's one of my best friends. Or maybe I'm not personable and he and I just get along? Who knows.

• Haha
Reactions: MJK
MJK is personable, he's one of my best friends. Or maybe I'm not personable and he and I just get along? Who knows.
No, in life you make friends, and you and your friends watch out for each other.

I get a sense you are being combative for a reason I can't understand, so there is no reason to engage. I've said my piece.

Dude, WTF are you talking about? It’s always up to the individual consumer to initiate the relationship. The counterman can see 100 people per day, and it’s up to you to stick out. The counterman is serving the public, but if you befriend him, you will standout. You need to make a personal connection.

I get it, you’re not personable. It’s okay.

I've run national parts and service businesses for multiple analogous brands outside the automotive space. I'm merely sharing my experiences in the space as you have shared yours. I'm not sure where the attack on me comes into play, but I suppose you can view me however you like. I was attempting merely to say that any business that waits for its customers to adapt to it, rather than adapt to them, will not likely be as successful as it could be.

I was also trying to convey that I doubt DIYer are very high on Toyota's radar. If the dealers and pro service organizations are good at the expense of DIYers, then I suspect that is an acceptable tradeoff.

If memory serves, you have made it no secret of the fact that you at one time ran a parts and service counter for Toyota. That is the lens through which, at least in part, you view this. Now that your location is Dallas, maybe you are at corporate? It makes no difference to me, but why would you start such a thread if you didn't welcome discussion on the topic?

Trunk Monkey said:
Fair enough. No more from me in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom