Trade Your fj40 for my fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

August 1984 FJ60 in medium blue - Mileage: 185,xxx
This 60 was bought from a broker who had sourced this cruiser from the original owner. I am the 2nd owner to have ever registered this cruiser. This cruiser spent 99% of it's life in Washington state, With it having zero rust! Now it's home is Charleston SC. The original owner as well as myself kept it garaged, and didn't smoke or allow pets. The paint is original and for it's age is amazing! clear coat is flaking on two doors that's it. I bought this 60 last summer, and I have spent a lot of time and resources getting it to where it is now. I have receipts for most of the work due to me not being very mechanical. I have since hooked up with a landcruiser club and have learned a lot. I will list what I have done, and if it was a mechanic or if it was me and my fellow cruiser heads. mechanically this thing runs like a top, very smooth idle 650rpm/ac idle 900. when cold 4 or 5 pumps on the gas pedal and it cranks right up. When hot it just turns right over. This 60 is desmogged as well. I have kept most parts I have taken off this 60 and it will come with it, plus I have bought lots of other things for it in case things were to break (i'm a worry wort!) Comes with factory skid plate, was taken off for pics.

All this was done in the past 11 months!
- Fountain of youth full tune up kit from cool cruisers (mechanic)
- Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 Champion 3 Row Aluminum Radiator - comes with old one and it didn't leak (me)
- All 3 belts replaced with new belts (mechanic)
- Troll hole Carb - comes with original carb it worked but wanted the THC for better performance (mechanic)
- New Alternator - comes with old one but it needs work (mechanic)
- New hood bump stops and new hood stand retainer clip (me)
- All new vacuum lines (me)
- Fixed the rear window washer hose issue (me)
- 3 all new window wiper blades along with all new wiper blade Toyota oem arm covers (me)
- New radio antenna (me)
- New License plate lamp kit - comes with old one (me)
- All rear tail light bulbs replaced (me)
- Bumpers were taken off and back of bumpers were undercoated to prevent rust (me)
- Old Man Emu/ Man-A-Fre FJ60 4-inch Suspension w/ Shackle Reversal Kit (mechanic)
- Wrangler dura-trac 33 inch tires (tire shop)
- All new exhaust- pipe and muffler (mechanic)
- Front brakes- new rotors and pads (mechanic)
- Rear brakes- brake cylinder replaced and drums re surfaced. (mechanic)
- front drive shaft lengthened- as well as front and back drive shaft balanced (mechanic)
- New charcoal canister - comes with old one (me)
- New fuel oem gas cap - comes with old one (me)
- New oem front wheel well rubber skirt kits (me)
- New fj62 mirrors - comes with original fj60 mirrors as well (me)
- New oem check valves for front head light washers - so they actually work! comes with old ones (me)
- New front grill, OEM Toyota emblem, and headlight grills - comes with originals (me)
- New OEM side markers
- Had diffs fluid changed, Transfer case and transmission flushed and serviced (mechanic)
- New OEM fuel pump
- New JT Outfitters Hydraulic Clutch Conversion. That's the master, the slave, and stainless steal hose makes the clutch very crisp! great upgrade (mechanic)
- New Autocraft Gold Battery
- I just sourced a un damaged air cleaner hose, will be swapping that out soon as it arrives. (me)
- Has the original jack and jack kit
- Sor High density seat foam and new upholstery - seat frames were treated and painted - comes with original upholstery and foam(only driver seat side is ripped). (me)
- Hexagon floor mats and some custom window sun-visor
- All interior bulbs have been replaced with LEDS - instrument cluster- hvac- dome lights (me)
- New pioneer head unit and Polk Audio speakers - Wasn't oem tape deck in it so that's why I replaced it (stereo shop)
- New OEM gas, brake, and clutch pedals
- AC was serviced and Charged the 1st month I got it - still blows ice cold! (mechanic)

The Good
Everything works on this 60 as it should. I have spent much time making sure of this, there is no issues! The head light washer squirts, the carb fan cuts on for 15 mins after vehicle is shut off, 4wd works perfectly, the locking hubs turn smooth as butter. interior is perfect except for carpet has some traffic wear but nothing terrible. Headliner is perfect with no tears or droop. The clutch is crisp and shifts with ease! The 2F is very peppy for a 2F. I have driven a 40 with a 2f and it felt very sluggish in comparison.

The Bad
Very slight front timing cover leak - add half a quart maybe every 1500-2000 miles.
two passenger doors have clear coat flaked off - These pictures were with no spray on detailer or wax, I've been slowly working the flaking down the doors with pressure washer. When waxed you can't even tell the clear coat it gone. Driver side sun visor likes to flop in your face sometimes.

The Other
When I said im a worry wort and buy extra stuff I meant it! I have a whole other set of ac vents two of which are close-able. I was going to eventually change the two middles with the close-able ones, so all vents could be shut off. I have a whole extra set of seat belts. I have a few windows cranks, headrest post, clips for the grills, extra driver side seat track, extra led bulbs plus original bulbs, and even a full knuckle rebuild kit ( doesn't need it, but one of the most common issues with these so I went ahead and bought it). Also comes with a ton of old school manuals, original window sticker, and some interior sticker decals (in case the ones on the glove box ever began to flake) There is also other things im forgetting for sure that will be included.

PICS: LINK BELOW
FJ60

I'm not wanting to sell this as much as trade it. I don't need to sell it or trade it for that matter. Cash price would be around 23k.

2qbgojm.jpg
33fb807.jpg
282dv9w.jpg

Last edited:
i promise you when I say im open to anything i mean just that. I love the original untouched, but i also dig resto mods. as for years, I love the look of the older 40's but I know the benefits of the newer 40's. I don't know a lot so when someone sends me a offer im sending over to my buddy whos a 40 expert and hes giving me the pros and cons.

Thanks for the response. Looks like a clean and well maintained rig. Seeing all the service manuals and documentation is always great.

Nice 60!!!!!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

So I have had a few prospects. One or two I'm hoping come through. Still open to new offers. Any questions at all please ask away!

I can when I get home, it's currently inside a standard garage. Single car when I pull in I have about 6 inches of clearance

Whoa, What??? Whole different Animals here!!! Each serves it's own purpose! I have owned an '85 60 and a '76 55, Both which I dearly regret selling. But the 40 is the real deal original removable hardtop, windshield down, from Rocky Mountain High to African Savannah, Badass Land Cruiser! I mean Really!

No matter how nice a 40 is, it is not as good as a 60. Keep this great specimen or you will have regrets forever.

I get it that 40s are cool and all, but they are not close to as useful as a good 60. And I'm saying that from the perspective of someone who has owned both for 15 years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom