Your .02 on my LX appreciated... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '97 LX, locked, with a bit under 157k. I have done PM along with new rad, phh, 100 series rotors/pads (front). It throws the elusive p0135/401 codes which I have not chased down. I really DO love my truck (except when the gas pump shuts off at $75 and it is not full), but i find that I want to get a toy hauler (Box camper with rear drop door to access cargo area in rear for bikes ) to drag the Harley and cafe' bike around and am concerned it just won't pull it. I realize that the towing capacity is rated at 5k and it is just difficult to find a toy hauler that is under that weight. Most of the haulers that I find have a dry weight of a smidge under 4500lbs. Is there anything I can do to the LX to increase what it will pull? Am I uninformed as to it's towing capacity? Can i get a weight distribution hitch and help with the problem? Should i just sell the LX and get a V8 Runner? Any input is appreciated. I would love to keep her;she really does make me smile and feel safe, on and off road, but I also want to be able to haul things without fear of blowing the top off her or being unsafe. I do pull the malibu (1996 Sunsetter) for limited distances and although she gets a bit warmer than normal and it is slow going she always makes the trip.

Again, thank you for your input,
Katie

Last edited:
The 80 series is rated to tow 5,000 pounds. I would think it could handle that. My brother towed a 2002 Jetta on a full-length Uhaul trailer with his 80 without incident. I wouldn't think he would have wanted to make a habit of it...but it got the job done. :2cents:

what you're trying to do sounds extremely reasonable for the 80. a flat toy hauler trailer won't create that much drag and it's low profile nature is less likely to pull the 80 all over the place. you might want to look into a heavier spring set to help with the sag effect that will occur on the 80 when towing, to stabilize handling.

if you're going to change vehicles, I'd recommend looking into a pickup truck, as they are unarguably better trailering vehicles than either a 80 or a 4runner. or maybe a Sequoia would be the right call - Tundra chassis more or less with the interior capability of the Landy.

Good luck!

Mine has 150k miles, re-geared my diff with 4.88 ,replaced the springs with Iron Man heavy duty springs,flushed the tranny and filled it up with Amsoil. 3500 miles cross country trip from Annapolis-MD To Seattle-Wa,towing M101 US ARMY loaded with Kawi Ninja ZX14 with out any hesitation. Engine temp steady at 185*-200*, 11.7-12.9 mpg per my ultra gauge.You'd amazed with extra performance you gain just by re-gearing.
IMG_0222.jpg

Any input is appreciated. I would love to keep her;she really does make me smile and feel safe, on and off road, but I also want to be able to haul things without fear of blowing the top off her or being unsafe.
You should sell your LX to me and buy a Dodge Ram diesel... ;)

Well, as some have already stated, the maximum towing capacity of the FZJ80 is 5000lbs. This is with trailer brakes. I tried to find what the maximum combined towing weight is and I could not find it. As I do not have my owners manual, I could not look it up either. I would recommend looking at that value too.

That being said, with a trailer that has a "dry weight" of 4500lbs, with a ~250lb bike or two, and then food, clothing, potable water, black water, and gray water, you will exceed the vehicle maximum towing weight. In the event you were to ever (God forbid) get into an accident, your insurance carrier could opt to not cover the damage, given the operator had exceeded the vehicle manufacturer's maximum towing capacity.

I feel your pain in this as I was looking at something similar that would be towed with my 100 series, which has a 6500lb towing capacity and then again with my father-in-law's motor home, which could not tow an 80 or a 4-Runner, for that matter, and he ended up with an FJC, which needs the prop shafts replaced with ones that allow for easy disconnect. I ended up still be stuck in a tent... on the ground.

Good luck in your decisions ahead.

i towed my 81 pickup (uhaul trailer) with my 96 cruiser and it handled the weight really well. i did get a lot of sag in the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom