1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You thought Cruisers were expensive.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by cruiserdan, Jul 3, 2005.

1. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) which sells surplus M1 rifles to qualified purchasers recently got some rifles returned to the US gvt from Greece. These rifles were loaned to the Greek government in the mid 1950's. In the return was 6 crates of BRAND NEW rifles that had never been opened. The CMP is currently auctioning them off in singles and pairs. The first two auctions closed today The single rifle sold for $11,005.00 and the pair went for $22,505.00.......:eek:

So, it is still possible to buy a new M1, unlike a new FJ45LV. Just bring your checkbook.

http://auction.odcmp.com/auctions/catalog.asp?catid=2&show=closed&startcount=11&endcount=16&page=2

2. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Nice. Wonder how many of those (and other rare items) are sitting around in warehouses around the world. Speaking of expensive guns, I just noticed that you can take a $400 Ruger Mini-14, make it full auto (well, not anymore), and sell it for $5,000.

3. cruiserdan

The reason it's 5 large is because you can't do that any more..........

4. brian

brian SILVER Star

one of those warehouses is on the abberdean proving grounds in md.
    brand new un-issued BAR's(M1918's), that are still in the cardboard boxs. those weapons run 20K on the market for a "used" one, when you can find one.
    they house small arms for displays and what not. saw them open a crate(4x4 foot square) that was just full of 1911's&1911a1's.

world war two stuff is bringing a premium these days. people are paying top dollar for anything, field manuals to field phones.

5. cruiserdan

WWII artifacts have been that way for at least 35-40 years. I have obtained a number of odds 'n ends over the years. I got most of it from 1969 to 1973.

Here's a prize, and before anybody jumps me it is NOT a polital statement, it is a military artifact:

6. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Really neat Dan. Unfortunately I think many Americans have forgotten or just choose to ignore the price our forefathers (from many nation) paid to ensure that we may enjoy many of todays freedoms.

It's great to see past history today, even though the third reich sucked.

7. brian

brian SILVER Star

it's leaders sucked, it's men of science and tech were ahead of their time.

8. cruiserdan

It is important to preserve these things in order to have "proof" to show to future generations. All of the Axis bits I have were brought home as trophys by our military veterans and as such I an proud to maintain them and the stories they tell for future generations.

9. mallred

mallred

10. dclee

dclee

NICE! Are these arsenal rebuilds off WWII receivers? Or complete matching unfired rifles from Springfield or one of the other manufacturers? I wonder how much an all-matching, factory new H&R would fetch?

11. dclee

dclee

Cool. I'm kind of a WWII buff. I'm in the process of putting up a display of main battle rifles and accessories (cleaning kits, ammo pouches, etc.) of each of the five major WWII powers (M1 [of course], K98k Mauser, Type 99 Arisaka, 1891/30 Mosin-Nagant, and No. 4 Mk. 1 Enfield). All rifles are stamped with dates of manufacture of the appropriate WWII vintage.

Is that a Luftwaffe helmet (based on the decal)?

12. honk

honk

Media:
    Those were new HRA (Harrington & Richardson Arms) manufactured rifles. They are not WW2 vintage but are genuine post war Garands, not arsenal or civilian rebuilds.

Those prices are as ridiculous as are most of the end results of CMP auctions and don't reflect real market value. The buyers are often museums with large puchasing budgets supplied by donation as well as allocations of taxpayer funds.

The last unfired new HRA that I sold went $1600. and was a good seller's result. That was in 2002 so I'd imagine that prices have risen somewhat despite the soft Garand market of the last few years, but not to those levels.

Almost none of the HRA made rifles saw actual service in the Korean war they are often referred to as "Korean War period" rifles.

13. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    mine is a little older
    [​IMG]

its really small, must have been for a youth.

14. miked

miked

the prices of things like this just break my heart. but on the other hand, it keeps it out of the hands of riff-raff and the BG's or those who just can't understand what it is they've got.

p.s. not that i would, but i could still convert my mini-14 to a full auto. however, it would be allot cheaper to buy an SKS and not clean it. bingo! full-auto via slam fire. weeeee.
    i've actually been considering a class III license. i would never convert anything.. but there are a few full-auto's i've been wanting to add to the safe. that and there's a drop in threaded barrel for my Walther P99 and P22.

15. cruiserdan

Yes, an M1935 single decal. It is a large size (58cm) and as a result very rare. The leather liner is in excelent condition as well. The manufacturer's stamp is also still visible.

16. gorister

gorister

Cruiserdan,

I have an identical helmet except mine has a bullet hole in the right side (near where the temple would be.

I dont think these helmets are very rare are they? There are numerous internet sights that sell authentic helmets for 30-100$.

I was told by an auctioneer that mine might bring 250-350 dollars and that was just because I knew the history of it. (Grandfather brought it back)

17. cruiserdan

Overall condition, condition of the decal(s), branch of service and size are all factors. Large German helmets, our 7 and up, are fairly rare. The example above is roughly 7 3/8. US helmets were adjustable for size, German helmets were not.

18. honk

honk

Media:

19. gorister

gorister

Dan:

Interesting. He never mentioned anything about how size played into it. Im not sure what size mine is. I have a 7 1/8 and it is too small for me so I imagine it isnt the large.

You have any other items? I have quite a few. Mostly from my grandfather however. I have a P-38 which he had chromed over. I am looking around for someone to dechrome it.

I also have a bayonet, and iron cast eagle and swastica, swastica ring, and a couple of medals.

Like Dan none of my collection is a political statement...just a collector of history.

20. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser Moderator