you should see the other guy... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last night on my way home I got rear ended...we pulled over and the cruiser got pretty beat up on the rear driver quarter. I can't open the tailgate as that was also smashed on the driver's side. But when I look at the front of the 4runner...WOW! The Police Officer that came to write the report couldn't believe the difference in damage. The cruiser will have to undergo some work, but the 4runner is likely totalled. All I could say about the cruiser is "they don't make em like this anymore." I'll post some pics up later tonight.

I was rear ended back in October by a GMC1500 4x4 truck. The story is Oh so familiar. The cruiser had a dented tailgate, and a broken light with a dented taillight socket. and the 1500 was destroyed. The police officer said to the othe owner if he was sure no one else was in the accident. They totalled his truck I think it was an 05

cam

Sorry to hear you got hit, but glad you are ok. I had similar situation a few years back now w/ my first 60. Had some dipsh!t blaze through intersection and clip me going about 35-40 mph. hit just behind the rear wheel well. I was doing 20-25 just putting through residential section (he was to my left). Spun me a full 180. I was a bit sore for a few days. They tried to run, got a block and had to ditch the car. Not fun, but could've been worse!

rob

I don't have to worry about mine getting hit by another car.

Hard to get hit when it doesn't run!

This may be a little much to ask being it happened so long ago...but, Cam got any pics of that? I want to show it to some of my buddies with pick ups :grinpimp:

-Carl

Glad to hear you're ok! Previous owner of my 60 rear ended an old Volvo... totalled the Volvo, put about a 4" dent in the front bumper of the 60.

It's really amazing how strong the cruiser is built! He had to have been going 30 or so and I was stopped.

Please feed my carnage fix - glad your ok.

yes yes...carnage please. pics coming soon?

Granted, today's vehicles aren't made as stout as in previous years, but I believe what you think as inferior build quality may just be the way they were designed to take damage.

Think "Crush zones".

It is cool though to see that these relics hold up well.

Just glad to hear no one is hurt.

Granted, today's vehicles aren't made as stout as in previous years, but I believe what you think as inferior build quality may just be the way they were designed to take damage.

Think "Crush zones".

It is cool though to see that these relics hold up well.

Just glad to hear no one is hurt.

Ya, they're designed to absorb the shock of impact by crumpling into nothingness instead of transferring that energy to things inside the vehicle like people.

Still, even a crumple zone only goes so far and it virtually guarantees you total a vehicle in any speed of accident.

We can debate this all day... old vs new, stout vs crumple zone. What it comes down to is: Is it your time? Factor this in and it doesn't matter what you drive... nor does it matter if you drive.

The real question is: Are you ready to meet your maker?

... still waiting for pictures.. :popcorn:

Sorry.....did I miss the pics?

like sharks at the scent of blood:rolleyes:

well...i must issue a serious apology because i promised pics and pics i cannot deliver. I took them on my camera phone and cannot get them to transfer over to the computer...:bang:

Here's an update: The other guys insurance company has accepted complete liability, which is good, but...they've deemed the cruiser a total loss:frown:

They've offered 4200 as a settlement, but I told the adjuster that it will be very hard to purchase the same vehicle, lifted, 3rd row seats, roof rack, etc for 4200. So I hope they reconsider and give me a little more. In any case, the salvage value is $325:clap: so i will definitely buy it back from the Insurance company.

Here's the sad news...It may have to sit for awhile before I get to repair it. So I hope that the Insurance Company will work with me in settling a little higher.:meh:

well...i must issue a serious apology because i promised pics and pics i cannot deliver. I took them on my camera phone and cannot get them to transfer over to the computer...:bang:

Here's an update: The other guys insurance company has accepted complete liability, which is good, but...they've deemed the cruiser a total loss:frown:

They've offered 4200 as a settlement, but I told the adjuster that it will be very hard to purchase the same vehicle, lifted, 3rd row seats, roof rack, etc for 4200. So I hope they reconsider and give me a little more. In any case, the salvage value is $325:clap: so i will definitely buy it back from the Insurance company.

Here's the sad news...It may have to sit for awhile before I get to repair it. So I hope that the Insurance Company will work with me in settling a little higher.:meh:

Don't let them screw you over. Insurance companies are just slightly above tobacco co's in my view. At every possible turn they will stick it to you. I had a guy run a red light in front of my motorcycle - got the run around trying to find doc and get them to pay (100% his fault). Finally had to get lawyer (i've NEVER sued anyone - last thing i wanted to do), switch to a doc that was covered by my work's insurance...blah blah blah. total PITA.

So i'd fight if you can. Show receipts of upgrades, or similar vehicles value from Mud, Ebay, etc. Show it's worth more and they MIGHT increase the payout. Still a pain to get it retitled after it's totalled by ins. co.

Good luck!

rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom