You put an HEI into what!!!??? HEI into my 1975 FJ40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So... I go this 1975 FJ40 a while back and the thing has been beat on so bad you would think the previous owner was Tito Puente. The plan is a restomod sometime in the future but right now I just was to drive it a bit and get inspiration on the direction I want to go with as a future build. But the first thing I need to do is get it running somewhat ok.

Disclaimer; My 40 has been fitted with a Chevy 250 sometime in the past and it was not a good job. To quote Buzz Lightyear, " I don't think that man has ever been to medical school".

IMG_20220629_181507.jpg

It was cutting out at higher rpm, the dizzy shaft had a lot of play and the vacuum can was done for, so I found this dizzy on Amazon along with wires and connector all for a whopping $122 and some change.
Old and new dizzy for comparison.

IMG_20220629_183959.jpg

And then slipped it in.

IMG_20220629_190934.jpg

And then added the new wires and connector.
IMG_20220630_193454.jpg

Afterward I had to play with the advance and timing. I set the vacuum advance to 12 degrees and then the timing to 12 BDC. I don't know my total advance or my max mechanical advance but some full throttle pulls up a 6% grade and no pinging. I still have to figure max advance and max mechanical advance and maybe change out the advance springs for something softer. However this engine swap is a modern day Frankenstein's monster and an LS may be in the future.

Nice writeup. I assume your engine power and driveability increased a bit?

So... I go this 1975 FJ40 a while back and the thing has been beat on so bad you would think the previous owner was Tito Puente. The plan is a restomod sometime in the future but right now I just was to drive it a bit and get inspiration on the direction I want to go with as a future build. But the first thing I need to do is get it running somewhat ok.

Disclaimer; My 40 has been fitted with a Chevy 250 sometime in the past and it was not a good job. To quote Buzz Lightyear, " I don't think that man has ever been to medical school".

View attachment 3049324
It was cutting out at higher rpm, the dizzy shaft had a lot of play and the vacuum can was done for, so I found this dizzy on Amazon along with wires and connector all for a whopping $122 and some change.
Old and new dizzy for comparison.

View attachment 3049358
And then slipped it in.

View attachment 3049359

And then added the new wires and connector.
View attachment 3049360
Afterward I had to play with the advance and timing. I set the vacuum advance to 12 degrees and then the timing to 12 BDC. I don't know my total advance or my max mechanical advance but some full throttle pulls up a 6% grade and no pinging. I still have to figure max advance and max mechanical advance and maybe change out the advance springs for something softer. However this engine swap is a modern day Frankenstein's monster and an LS may be in the future.
Have you looked at a Cummins R2.8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom