You know our 80s are awesome when... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
topics in the 80 (and 100) series tech forum include: "thread measurements", "size of liscense plate screws" and "how to paint center caps"... If this is all there is to worry about, we've got it made!
Man, the 40 and 60 series guys have too much stuff to worry about ;).

I agree with you. I have been trying to think of a project to tackle for the last couple of days and can't come up with anything. It looks like the plugs and wires are all I had to contend with so far.

:knockingonwood: ;)

Curran,

See "head gasket" :tear:

Esp. 97's :ugh:

Yeah, you got me there.
Still, they're darn good rigs.

Ramon,

>> I have been trying to think of a project to tackle <<
>> for the last couple of days and can't come up with <<
>> anything. <<

Here, let me help. :G
1. Extended diff breathers.
2. SS brake lines w/brake system flush
(Really improves the brake pedal feel)
3. Headlight harness w/relays (improves lighting)
4. CO2 fire extinguisher mounted in cargo area
5. 2nd battery
6. 12v outlets in the cargo area
7. Rear drawers like C-Dan's (kewwwwwl)

Bye, bye tax refund check.
-B-
(Dan likes to keep me awake at night with all his head gasket horror stories; then he taunts me by saying he'll help change out mine and he never answers the phone when I call... darn caller ID)

Beo,

"4. CO2 fire extinguisher mounted in cargo area"

Oh, Oh Oh, The fire extinguisher in the cargo area actually sounds like a good one.  Details - what, where, pics, etc.

You can't just post ideas without knowing you were going to get some questions like this. :D

TIA

Generaly the tutone silver 97's are the most prone to headgasket failure. The addition of OME springs, Slee front and rear bumpers, L shocks, LED's, sliders, THONGS, ETC, just about guarantees it.

My new un-listed number is fe fi fo-fe fi fo fe

:beer:

OK, I have only had my 80 series for a few months now. I am learning alot about: diff breathers, center diff lock switch (for those of us with lockers), cup holders ;), slee sliders, OME lifts etc etc....BUT, what is THONG? I have seen this come up every now and again :dunno:

The Wulf can fill you in on that one ::)

I wouldn't touch it, if ya get my drift.............. :G

Here, let me help.  :G
1. Extended diff breathers.
2. SS brake lines
3. CO2 fire extinguisher mounted in cargo area
4. 2nd battery
5. 12v outlets in the cargo area

Thanks for the list. Can you fill me in on the details also? I know about the extended diff breathers, where to buy the brake lines and can figure out the outlets, but where do I put the 2nd battery. I read an article about installing one, but it never gave a good location.

It will give me something to do.

Brentbba,
Here's pics of fire extinguisher installs in mine. It worked well enough in the location in this first pic. The mount is just tapped with wide screws through the plastic. It held in place very well.
storage1.jpg

But my latest project involves extending out the walls to the
width of the wheel wells for additional storage and enough airspace for a sub box (marine sub.. no more screwing around with water)... so I moved it up to the original location of the 3rd row seat belts.
storage3.jpg

I also have mounted on the back of the center console, so its easily accessable from anywhere in the passenger compartment.

Beo,

Thanks for the pics. May be a very worthwhile project. Like your extended storage bins. I have a need for 3rd row seats too often so not doable here. Wish there was more concealed storage space tho. Will be putting in a custome subwoofer where you have yours located, only in the OEM plastic. Just need to convince wifey it's necessary! ::)

FJ40crusher.

DO NOT bring up the 'Thong' please.  Things (pics) could take this from a very nice site to the trash very quickly. :D :G :D :G

This is a running joke from the SOR board folks. :eek:  

Jack -

>>  Where do I put the 2nd battery. I read an article about installing one, but it never gave a good location. It will give me something to do.

The 91-92 Cruisers have their battery on the PS. The 91-92 tray mounts immediately behind the radiator recovery bottle in your 96 - all the mounting points are already there for a simple bolt-in - but you must relocate the washer pump res bottle.

The p/n for the tray is 74403-60100, and you can get a prefabed relocation kit for the washer bottle from Slee Offroad (assuming you are not supercharged...).

Good luck with it !

R -

FJ40crusher.

DO NOT bring up the 'Thong' please.  Things (pics) could take this from a very nice site to the trash very quickly. :D :G :D :G

This is a running joke from the SOR board folks. :eek:  

Gotcha ;)

I figured it was something along those lines. Mums the word :-X

Jack,

RE the tray mentioned by Ron. It is a factory fit but it requires some trimming to fit up against the IFZ radiator. The tray is fiberglass, wear gloves when trimming it. Also some form of mask would be good to keep glass fibers out of your lungs. One last thought, go slow and easy on the cutting as the tray is Quite brittle and can break if it is tweeked just right.

Regards...........Dan :beer:

Yup, 'tis true... it does need just a bit of trimming.

As usual, C-Dan fills in the gaps. :-[

R -

Keep

I like that cargo bed rubber liner in the picture - looks dog proof! Where did you get that & how much

Thanks

Joe

Keep

I like that cargo bed rubber liner in the picture - looks dog proof! Where did you get that & how much

Thanks

Joe
That is a Husky Liner. They are awesome. You can get one at http://www.4wheelparts.com/ They have free shipping!!! :G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom