You guys with 33 X 9.50's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who is running stock suspension and who is not? For those that are not, what are you running? I saw a 40 on CCOT with 33 X 9.50 and 1 1/2 over stock shackles. Did not mention anything else in terms of suspension upgrades/changes.

Thanks. Juke

If your gonna wheel it then you need some lift IMOP

here is OME with 33x9.5's
32483834.jpg

stock with 33.9.5's
28497585.jpg

fine for driving a around, but not any kind of hard wheelin.

and while we are at it, 33.9.5's on a stock fj62. This works great and I can't get em to rub.
31898610.jpg

Okay, a little scatter-brained in that post ::), but I think I can make sense of it... You're about to ask a lot of questions about 33x9.50's... :D

I'm running Kelly-Springfield Safari MSR's, 33x9.50
A TPI Smoky Mountain 2.5" lift.
I don't have power steering (yet) and have rebuilt the entire steering system -- everything!
My rig turns very easily on the street with 33x9.50's.
4 wheeling in rocks is really hard and tiring on the arms/shoulders.
The tires wheel remarkably well offroad for being 9.50's.
They are very quite on the street.
They don't rub. Anywhere.
They air down well. I take them down to 15 psi. and have never lost a bead.
They're a bit cheaper than bigger tires.
They give a cool millitary look.

I think I've covered nearly every question you are about to ask. :cheers:

Jody.

Not getting the scattered brain comment. It was pretty straight forward. I was actaully trying to find out what type of lift if any of you have used for 33 X 9.50's b/c they are A LOT different than 10.50's or 12.50's. And, if anyone has used a similar set up that I mentioned above i.e. 1 1/2 shackles. And if so, was there anything else used in conjunction. Thanks pimp for the pics.

I ran 33x9.50's (BF Goodrich, not sure but may have been discontiued) on my stock FJ62. They worked fine, but I did notice a little extra body roll. I think it was because the tire on the stock rim became a tall skinny tire/wheel and with a high tire side wall it flexed more. I just adjusted my driving style and had no problems.

Charlie

yeah I think so, I think 33x10.5 would give you some issues with rubbing.

the 33x9.5 fit better(room wise) on my 90 fj62(with 200k) then the 86 fj60 with 100k........go figure?

John

[quote author=VTCruiser link=board=1;threadid=11254;start=msg102097#msg102097 date=1076363747]
Regarding the 60's: with no lift are 33x9.5 as big as I can go without rubbing? 10.5? 12.5?
[/quote]

Juke, I assume you asked the question in reguards to a 40, I have about 2-3 inches of lift with 33-9.5's and feel safe with any sort of 4-wheeling I do. If I had went with 10.5's then there would be some rubbing issues when I flexed alot. With the shackles you have you may clear the 9.5 OK, but you need to be really tame with your driving. Figure out what kind of driving you're going to do the most, alot of snow, ice and hiway, then go with 9.5's. If you're going to do alot of mudding or driving in sand then go with a 12.5 and plan on more lift or cutting fenders.

I run 10.50's with OME lift(3"or so)Uncut fenders
slight rubbing on rear inner fenders when fully flexed.
Slight rubbing on steering arm when turned all the way right.
I have run mud service chains with no problems.
My 31x10.50's rubbed the same places before the lift.

I know not 9.50's but I hope useful info.

Currently running a stock suspension with wells cut out and Bushwakers.

Installing a 4inch lift this weekend.

stock with 32 x 11.5 mickey thompson....

I am going to swap them out with the same setup as Landpimp with the 33x9.5's on stocker wheels...asap.
tire_wheel.jpg

FJ40MASTER.jpg

FYI
I put a set of new All terrain BFG's on the wife units 4-runner and they look like s***...... like two tone, they have a lighter ring approx 3-4 inches tall around the middle of the sidewall.....when detailing, tire black doesn't even cover it up.....they look old and beat.

man, lotta cashflow on tires im :flipoff2:ing broke.
33 up the 89 too, that rocks.
They won't rub on the way to church, how about if I jump the curb?? :D
screensaver1.jpg

When i first bought my cruiser it had 32x11.50's on stock wheels with a 4" shackle lift and no other changes to the stock steering. Needless to say, they rubbed pretty bad on the TRE's. I backed out the steering stops until they didn't. While this made parking and u-turns pretty dificult, it was still pretty streetable.

How many :flipoff2:in cars do you own Pimp????

I'm really sold on 33x9.5. They really keep the utilitarian look that the FJ's deserve.
Now I need rims like Pimp has on the green 40. Where did you get them?
They are close to stock but cooler-I think.
Brog

12 cruisers, 2 chevy's ::)

actually those are stock wheels, used from 80 or 81-83, they were white(which is stock), I painted them grey. They are the same as a fj60 wheel......just not chrome. they are 15x6.

I am still looking for a set of the 76-80 hub cap wheels, I like that look just a bit better.,,,I think

and I have really grown fond of the 33x9.5's, they are not a hardcore tire but sure work pretty well even in mud, which I have been driving it in almost everyday sense we started a new project the 1st of the year. On the street they work great(even without PS) Even with the 3.7 gears the 40 still has lots of get up and go.......and they give a nice overdrive effect on the highway.

I would have liked to run a 33x10.5 but they would have stuck out just a bit, "might" have rubbed in the rear and really need a 7+" wheel IMOP.

I do wish the BFG still made the MT :(

[quote author=Brog link=board=1;threadid=11254;start=msg103164#msg103164 date=1076512359]
How many :flipoff2:in cars do you own Pimp????

I'm really sold on 33x9.5. They really keep the utilitarian look that the FJ's deserve.
Now I need rims like Pimp has on the green 40. Where did you get them?
They are close to stock but cooler-I think.
Brog

[/quote]

[quote author=Razor link=board=1;threadid=11254;start=msg102350#msg102350 date=1076387176]
FYI
I put a set of new All terrain BFG's on the wife units 4-runner and they look like s#!t...... like two tone, they have a lighter ring approx 3-4 inches tall around the middle of the sidewall.....when detailing, tire black doesn't even cover it up.....they look old and beat.
[/quote]

Mine don't have that look. Neither do Landpimp's pictured above. If you're unhappy you should return those, dude - they might be defective...

Thanks pimp. (12 Cruisers.) Nice collection.

What do I do with the oh-so-pretty aluminum buckshot rims that the PO put on it.
Too heavy to ship. Newspaper? Save them for an event this spring and sell them there?
Some mall heep would love them.

You've probably answered this a million times; Where did you get them(rims)?
Oh yeah, not having PS on my '67 is a huge reason to go 9.5".
Brog

The 9.5s will fit under uncut rear fenders even when stuffed. That was a big concern for me.
I run them on 7 inch rims and have the original 72 springs with a small shackle lift.
They turn a lot easier without power steering than the 10.5s I once used.
I llike the "look" on a 40.

Not to change the subject but I like the look of tall thin tires, is it possible to go with a 35x10.5? With my lift the truck would look silly with anything smaller but narrower may help with steering and road noise. Your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom