You dumped your life savings into your 60... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hojack

♠️Project Snowball❄️
Threads
Cascade Foothills above Eagle Creek, Oregon 🇺🇸
At first when I bought my 60 I enjoyed just driving it. Once I found IH8MUD and reading threads ideas in my mind started to roll around. I loved my 60 but being passed by everybody heading up the mountain to go skiing/ boarding was frustrating. I started to research engine swaps and decided 4BT Cummins was for me. I found a motor out of a stepvan still running and bought it. Then came the transplant and swap. Rebuilt NV4500 transmission. Champion Radiator, alternator, starter, power steering pump, battery, electrical, etc. I thought perhaps I would be done but... it’s an addiction. Too many MUD members and friends said to go SOA so I’ve bought 63 leaf springs, high steer kit, Ruff Stuff SOA kit, Hydro Assist ram, and gearbox rebuild kit which has been drilled and tapped. Decided while I’m there miz we’ll replace the rear with an 80s full float and disc brakes. Now I’m looking at Speedhut Gauge upgrade and 37” Cooper ST MAXX tires, bead lock wheels, new rear retractable seatbelts from Seatbelt Planet. Needs a paint job, luckily my buddy knows a guy who’s great and affordable. Need front 4plus bumper, sliders, rear tire carrier and bumper, roof rack, winch, and roof top tent... yikes! Then I should be expedition ready. The list goes on and on by it is fun seeing the transformation of these cruisers.
0F35B527-AB47-4C23-B250-401FEED30D42.jpeg

As my cruiser sits now. Awaiting SOA conversion starting next Saturday.

What mods have you done and does the list ever end???

You have seen my thread. My list is huge but I will start with some key points.

I was shocked once I actually wrote down what I had in it. Everything adds up very fast and it ultimately crazy. Mine was done in a very short time which made it worse.

Mechanically once the H55 goes in, it is basically done.
My engine had like 5K on it and unless it goes it will stay. If it does go, I may look at a Toyota diesel swap.

The list can end, you just have to know where to draw the line.

The biggest issue with this forum is seeing what everyone else has done and thinking, Ya I need that.
I made this mistake at the beginning but stopped quickly. Then I though...wait what do I really want this for?
DD...yes
Expedition rig...sort of...more weekend get away and camping off grid
Long range traveler and at times in remote areas....absolutely
Off road.....not really, fire/ logging roads and just off those. Not true hard core off road.

So I have made changes to my vehicle for these situations.
· Winch in the front so I can pull my ass out if I get stuck.
· Full Floater in the rear as they can handle the load and if it breaks I am not stuck with a c-clipped axle, plus my locker options increase.
· Long range tank, yep got to love no engine swap and 400+ mile range
· Rear tire carrier, who wants a dirty wet tire in their interior after a flat.
· Heavy suspension, yep that gas weighs add the fridge, drawer etc. and you suddenly need that extra duty.
· H55f, absolutely. My old 4-speed was noisy and this gave me an excuse for a 5-speed.
· 4-runner wiper upgrade….better vision
· New carpet, seat foam and covers….nothing like a new interior to make you happy
· Front TT skid…nothing is bending my steering from below
· KC Highlites HID lights…LONG range vision at night
· Rebuilt carb by Jim-C with to what my driving will be….Yes and it purrs like a kitten now.

I have and am thinking about every part that goes on my 60 now and the first question I ask is. DO I need this? Then; Why do I?
If I can give myself a solid answer then I will get it. Things like lockers are a $$$ investment and something that I may never use. So with a winch, I doubt I will get them as an example. I have a Toyota LS, that I will rebuild and install, it should be all I need based on what and who I am building this for.

Last edited:
Yup all comes down to what your intentions are for the vehicle and how long you decide to keep it. Most of us intend to keep our vehicles indefinitely so this is more of an investment in the vehicle than anything else. The hours upon hours upon hours of body work that I have put in over the last few years replacing steel that was rusted out, swapping doors, doing rust abatement, etc. all culminated in me painting the truck this weekend. My justification to the wife when doing this, well more of a knowledge transfer not justification as she really didn't care, was that now I needed to protect all that work with a new layer of paint. That doesn't count the head work I have done, replacing the radiator, seat swap, glass swap, and other work done to the truck outside of normal maintenance stuff.

At first when I bought my 60 I enjoyed just driving it. Once I found IH8MUD and reading threads ideas in my mind started to roll around. I loved my 60 but being passed by everybody heading up the mountain to go skiing/ boarding was frustrating. I started to research engine swaps and decided 4BT Cummins was for me. I found a motor out of a stepvan still running and bought it. Then came the transplant and swap. Rebuilt NV4500 transmission. Champion Radiator, alternator, starter, power steering pump, battery, electrical, etc. I thought perhaps I would be done but... it’s an addiction. Too many MUD members and friends said to go SOA so I’ve bought 63 leaf springs, high steer kit, Ruff Stuff SOA kit, Hydro Assist ram, and gearbox rebuild kit which has been drilled and tapped. Decided while I’m there miz we’ll replace the rear with an 80s full float and disc brakes. Now I’m looking at Speedhut Gauge upgrade and 37” Cooper ST MAXX tires, bead lock wheels, new rear retractable seatbelts from Seatbelt Planet. Needs a paint job, luckily my buddy knows a guy who’s great and affordable. Need front 4plus bumper, sliders, rear tire carrier and bumper, roof rack, winch, and roof top tent... yikes! Then I should be expedition ready. The list goes on and on by it is fun seeing the transformation of these cruisers.
View attachment 1803424

It’s very easy to do. With all the repairs, upgrades and modifications I’ve made over the past 14 years, I’ve spent over $100,000 that’s excluding the purchase price ($19,000) for my spotless, 48,000 original mile 60 14 years ago. And I still haven’t done an engine swap. My running joke is that if I ever really need money, I can live out of my 60; traveling the country while I rent out my SOCAL beach cottage.. when it comes time to do the engine swap, I may try to do it myself and learn as I go.

I’d buy a trailer to put your RTT on instead of on your 60. The trailer will afford you more flexibility as far as parking the trailer with the RTT deployed and driving away enstead of collapsing the tent every Morning prior to hitting the trail or store.

Good luck.

View attachment 1803424

The front of your 60 looks like the front end of 91 Land Cruiser Great divide addition. Well sort of.

Cruisers are fun to build, but you have to watch out. They are like any other vehicle, they don't hold their cash value well. Its rough to see for sale adds that have receipts for 70k and 0 buyers. Just remember cars are a poor investment.

I knew going into this endeavor that I wouldn’t get the money back out that I’ve spent if I sold. I also knew that there would never be a reason for me to ever sell. But yes, solid advise for the younger Mud Crowd.

Cruisers are fun to build, but you have to watch out. They are like any other vehicle, they don't hold their cash value well. Its rough to see for sale adds that have receipts for 70k and 0 buyers. Just remember cars are a poor investment.

Correction, cars are a poor investment as a resale item. They are never a poor investment if you plan to keep them, but if your plan is to attempt to make money or break even down the road, then that is where the loss comes into the ROI calculation.

I agree with Willard, I had to leave MUD alone last year because seeing all the cool stuff everybody was doing was driving me crazy. I feel I have a healthier foundation now and can enjoy looking at all the things people are doing and not feel envious.
Plus I'm a pretty insufferable purist so it was never really envy, more like disdain. For instance, did you know: big tires slow these things down, a lot? It's true! They actually go pretty good on 29's!

But I'm better now. If you got the money honey, I got the time! :popcorn:

@Hojack You don't need all the bells and whistles to overland. All you need is your car + sleeping bag, but of course it doesn't look like a Patagonia commercial..
In that case, you don’t even need a car, just a motorcycle or a bicycle, hell a good pair of hiking boots, pack, sleeping pad and pouncho liner are all you really need.
I like to do many things in style and with as much class as this Marine can muster. So, a well built and modified 60 is just the ticket in this case.
Use common sense, and remember you don’t need 100% of a plan figured out to start an operation, 40% is a good start, The rest will fall into place as you press ahead.

I just want to drive it and enjoy it. I simply can’t afford anything fancy. It’s taught me a wealth of confidence. I can do it, I am capable no matter how inexperienced I am. And look how much that is teaching my 5 year old son about his mom and what he can do someday as well?

@Hojack You don't need all the bells and whistles to overland. All you need is your car + sleeping bag, but of course it doesn't look like a Patagonia commercial..
I know I don’t but that’s where I’m headed. I backpack so I know what it’s like to have enough gear and not enough. Patagonia is on my destinations to explore someday...

All these different approaches makes it interesting. For sure you'll end up with an awesome truck!

I know I don’t but that’s where I’m headed. I backpack so I know what it’s like to have enough gear and not enough. Patagonia is on my destinations to explore someday...
You need to realize what you need.
I backpacked for years and use to bring everything. Since then it is now the bare basics.
Boots are solid as is the pack and first aid kit. The rest is nesecity. Like now I use a single pot and an alcohol stove.

I have never had more than I need backpacking, and never did not miss anything. I solo more often than not so weight and gear mattered.
I am taking the same approach with my 60.

You just need to find a balance.
That said, as others said to me, your 60 do with it as you wish. I will add, just don't fall down the rabbit hole.

Oddly enough cruisers are generally expedition ready off the showroom floor ;)

Oddly enough cruisers are generally expedition ready off the showroom floor ;)
They are to an extent. More capable than most with 1940’s tech on board.

That's PROVEN 1940's Tech. It's conservative engineering. You have a ton of margin built in. It's what makes cruisers so reliable. It's not magic. It's why we love them. It's why I hate to see folks change them into jeeps basically. A jeep is great, don't get me wrong, as long as breaking something and getting stranded won't turn your "expedition" into the "donner party 21st century edition". There aren't truthfully many places in the ConUS that that would happen. Which is why we don't get 70's.

But I can totally understand the want for more power, etc.

Rant off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom