You can call me Doctor

Joined
Jul 17, 2003
Messages
18
Location
Fort Collins, CO
Haven't been around the forum for awhile. Thought I'd let those who care that I finally graduated from Veterinary school. You can call me Dr. The Bear now :flipoff2: I'll be relocating to Athens, GA at the end of the week, pretty psyched.

Went on a three week cross country roadtrip awhile ago. Tried to snap photos of Cruisers around the country...only got one :doh: . Really sweet rig, though... up in Portland, Maine.

:beer: :beer:
 
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
768
Location
Red Triangle
Unlike regular people Docs, Vets put in the same schooling, same hours, have to learn how to deal with patients from dozens of species instead of one, and can't ask a patient where it hurts while sanely expecting an answer. That and Vet patients tend to scratch and bite more often. All for about half the pay of a regular people Doc, if that much. Few people become Vets for the money, it's usually a labor of love.
 
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
566
Location
CA Bay Area
White Shark said:
Unlike regular people Docs, Vets put in the same schooling, same hours, have to learn how to deal with patients from dozens of species instead of one, and can't ask a patient where it hurts while sanely expecting an answer. That and Vet patients tend to scratch and bite more often. All for about half the pay of a regular people Doc, if that much. Few people become Vets for the money, it's usually a labor of love.

Congradulations Bear! That's awesome.

White Shark, I got your cure for "unruly patients."
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
4,495
why would you move to Athens? there is a vet school in that town, and probably more vets than you could shake a stick at.
 
Joined
Jul 17, 2003
Messages
18
Location
Fort Collins, CO
beaufort-fj60 said:
why would you move to Athens? there is a vet school in that town, and probably more vets than you could shake a stick at.

I am doing an Equine Medicine and Surgery Internship there for a year. Then I will hopefully stay (if accepted) for a three year Equine Surgery Residency.

I won't be making much over the next four years, but I'm hoping I'll be able to afford a Cruiser by the end of the year. We'll see...the loan repayment kicks in pretty soon too :doh:
 
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Messages
348
Location
Alabama
The Bear said:
I am doing an Equine Medicine and Surgery Internship there for a year. Then I will hopefully stay (if accepted) for a three year Equine Surgery Residency.
Too bad you didn't choose Auburn instead... unforunately we are losing one of my favorite equine doctors to a big money horse clinic in Kentucky.

Good luck on the residency!

The Bear said:
I won't be making much over the next four years
Yea residents don't get paid crap and have to work alot but if you want it bad enough then its worth it, and the job it could land you later on is worth it also. Just expect alot of long nights during foal season and colic surgeries when on your surgery rotation.
 

Doc

 
 
Joined
Apr 26, 2004
Messages
5,817
Location
Utah
The Bear said:
I am doing an Equine Medicine and Surgery Internship there for a year. Then I will hopefully stay (if accepted) for a three year Equine Surgery Residency.
Equine?

You'll be using a lot of the products we make. Congrats and good luck!

-Eric (of Fort Dodge Animal Health)
 
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
3,294
Shoot me a e-mail if you need any information about Atlanta, (we live just up 316 from Athens). and Critter - War Damn Eagle
 
Joined
Jan 3, 2003
Messages
7,184
Location
McCall, ID
Congratulations! Can we call you Doctor The, for short?



And praise all of the deities you honor that you won't ever have to deal with Blue Cross, Medicaid, and the hoary hosts of attorneys that some of us do....
 
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
688
Outtasight, Bear. :beer: :beer:

BTW, what's the inside scoop on Blue Cross et al.?

.
 

Jman

 
 
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Messages
1,557
Location
If ya don't know, I ain't tellin'
Yeah, I hear this nation has had enough of spiraling pet health care costs. I think there is a bill in Congress for national pet health care . . . . . :rolleyes:

Seriously, Dr. The Bear, that's totally sweet. Unfortunately, I don't have any single friends in Athens, 'cause a cruiser-lovin, bar-building, horse-fixing chiquita would be a total catch. :D

Anyway, you should be loving life right about now. :beer: When you get out there fixing horse, you are going to meet some very (rich) interesting (rich) people. When you do, don't forget us little folks back here on the board. . . . :D Congrats.
 
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Messages
348
Location
Alabama
IDave said:
And praise all of the deities you honor that you won't ever have to deal with Blue Cross, Medicaid, and the hoary hosts of attorneys that some of us do....
Big dollar horses have insurance now too...
 
Top Bottom